Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #4,067 of 7,535
Lmao smile. Base base 0311 to 0321. Use to base base. Repeat after me. Diego is a bad ass because he is all about the base.

Not trying to be smart ***** it's just a pet peeve. That and there, their and they're.
:beerchug:

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #4,068 of 7,535
Lmao smile. Base base 0311 to 0321. Use to base base. Repeat after me. Diego is a bad ass because he is all about the base.

Get out.

Also not trying to be an *******, but you're not adding anything to the conversation besides troll bait.

Just get out.

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #4,069 of 7,535
Get out.

Also not trying to be an *******, but you're not adding anything to the conversation besides troll bait.

Just get out.

i'll get out but you are being an *******.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #4,070 of 7,535
Wait, dude, not you!!! You're the one i'm agreeing with! I was talking to this guy - GoDiegoGo:

I have a soround sound with 4k Definitive Technology pro cinema 800 working in magnolia Store im starting with AudiophIle woo audio etc. I have ASTRO A40 headset that cost 150 and blows this HD598 out of the water. Im really disapointed on this headsets. They do on the contrary to what people rote and told me that they dont have base. They have tons of base. This headphones aré good for music yes but for 200$ hell no. And they aré horable in binaural recordings. I do. mean bad bad. With music they are good not worth 200$ I got them for 100. Gift. They are light feel cheap. All plastic. If you ask me between the ASTRO A40 and the HD598 I will no with ASTRO save $ open headsets as well closed. Use mike or no mike. Save the $ and go with ASTRO A40. Yes they are for gaming and still sounds better. Like I mention. I work on MAGNOLIA I do have an idea of what sounds good. Noooow the use on the headphone is iPone iPad and ASTRO Dolby DAC. I'm not impressed at all

...and Quote:

Arsis, you're just fine, sorry for making it look like I was talking to you.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #4,071 of 7,535
Wait, dude, not you!!! You're the one i'm agreeing with! I was talking to this guy - GoDiegoGo:
You're just fine, sorry for making it look like I was talking to you, Arsis.
No worries. My poking was in fun... and off topic. :p

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #4,072 of 7,535
Hey everyone, I've had my 598 for a while and recently bought an E17 to pair it with. Well, the thing is I've heard a lot of people say no gain would be the cleanest sounding, and I've heard a decent amount of people say that 12db gain is actually the best choice due to a supposed massive impedance spike at around 100Hz reaching the nearly 300 Ohms. I'd like to know if I would actually get punchier bass at 12db of gain. 

Get E17 and use on gain 12...there have been some sayings that 12dB gain does have improvements in CLIEOS's graph and most of those improvements are a punchier bass....598 bass does impove with gain 12

Check this out (i know, 558, same drivers though)

Edit: Sorry, credit where it's due. This is from user "joshwalnut".

Sorry for the long wall of things. And yes first post and sorry about my wallet and stuff :)
Anyway, many thanks for anyone who chooses to answer.

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #4,073 of 7,535
  Hey everyone, I've had my 598 for a while and recently bought an E17 to pair it with. Well, the thing is I've heard a lot of people say no gain would be the cleanest sounding, and I've heard a decent amount of people say that 12db gain is actually the best choice due to a supposed massive impedance spike at around 100Hz reaching the nearly 300 Ohms. I'd like to know if I would actually get punchier bass at 12db of gain. 

Get E17 and use on gain 12...there have been some sayings that 12dB gain does have improvements in CLIEOS's graph and most of those improvements are a punchier bass....598 bass does impove with gain 12

Check this out (i know, 558, same drivers though)

Edit: Sorry, credit where it's due. This is from user "joshwalnut".

Sorry for the long wall of things. And yes first post and sorry about my wallet and stuff :)
Anyway, many thanks for anyone who chooses to answer.

I recommend the following article: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meridian-explorer-case-study-effects-output-impedance. The bottom line is that an amplifier with low output impedance is recommended for this kind of headphone. My experience is that I get bloated bass with my NAD 3130 receiver, which has high output impedance (220 Ohm), and very good results with my Audioquest Dragonfly, which has low output impedance (about 0.65 Ohm). Some web sites mistakenly report a relatively high output impedance for the Dragonfly; it seems that they replaced the measured impedance with the recommended minimum headphone impedance (about 10-12 Ohm: see http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/faqs).  See http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-usb-da-converter-measurements for the actual impedance measurement of the Dragonfly: 0.65 Ohm.

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #4,074 of 7,535
This was rather nice to read, and very informative.
However, I gather that this is output impedance, which--correct me if I am incorrect--has nothing to do with gain. Isn't the output impedance the same on all gain settings?
Talking about the output impedance:

My measurement shows around 0.1ohm or so.

If you want line-out from E17, you need L7.

This would create a damping factor of 500 with the HD 598, no? That's very good. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #4,075 of 7,535
For better or worse, I've picked up the HD 598 and paired it alongside a FiiO E07K dac/amp.  This is my first foray into audiophile headphones after wanting to hop into the entry level for quite some time (as you can tell by my join date here and first post being yesterday).  My experience with headphones is cheap $40 sets that were bought for price instead of performance, my daily "driver" is currently a set of IEMs that came with a Samsung cell phone I bought 3 years ago. :)

I'm really hoping my investment is going to be worth it, as I have no idea what to expect right now.  My question...should I consider doing some sort of controlled burn-in on these or should I just listen and enjoy, and burn them in through normal usage?  If I should do a controlled burn-in, what is recommended with these?  I've obviously never done a burn-in before and would appreciate any guidance anybody is willing to give.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #4,076 of 7,535
  I myself am not American and know only 2.048 languages.
If you will be lucky enough to buy headphones for your teenagers someday, I have no doubt that they will be playing Catch -Up to quickly learn some Pidgen chinese or mandarin cuz Jack that is the future.

Stay classy, big boy, and we'll see y'all on the way back down.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #4,077 of 7,535
  For better or worse, I've picked up the HD 598 and paired it alongside a FiiO E07K dac/amp.  This is my first foray into audiophile headphones after wanting to hop into the entry level for quite some time (as you can tell by my join date here and first post being yesterday).  My experience with headphones is cheap $40 sets that were bought for price instead of performance, my daily "driver" is currently a set of IEMs that came with a Samsung cell phone I bought 3 years ago. :)

I'm really hoping my investment is going to be worth it, as I have no idea what to expect right now.  My question...should I consider doing some sort of controlled burn-in on these or should I just listen and enjoy, and burn them in through normal usage?  If I should do a controlled burn-in, what is recommended with these?  I've obviously never done a burn-in before and would appreciate any guidance anybody is willing to give.

Don't worry, your investment will be well worth it. Personally, I used to use my HD598 with a FiiO E17 before I upgraded from the FiiO, and that already sounded pretty awesome.

As for burn-in, it's not necessary to do some kind of controlled burn-in, although you're welcome to do so. IMO I thought the HD598s sounded great out of the box, so I just burned them in as I listened to it. If I'm not wrong (anybody feel free to correct me) I think the optimal burn-in process is to try to play a variety of music on the headphone so that it gets stressed on every sound frequency. I think people have also said that using white noise and pink noise and playing that through the headphone is also a good way to burn in the headphone.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #4,079 of 7,535
I ordered in the shorter replacement cord that few had mentioned in this thread (Link) and was very pleased with it for portability.  It is just the right length and is very convenient when using the X3.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #4,080 of 7,535
@Brimstone Nice pic there X3

Also for anyone who has momentum's, they can also use the same cable mentioned above as a replacement to the momentum's thin and rubbery cable 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back