Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #4,081 of 7,535
  I ordered in the shorter replacement cord that few had mentioned in this thread (Link) and was very pleased with it for portability.  It is just the right length and is very convenient when using the X3.

@Brimstone Nice pic there X3

Also for anyone who has momentum's, they can also use the same cable mentioned above as a replacement to the momentum's thin and rubbery cable 
biggrin.gif

Are there any noticeable differences in sound with these cables?

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #4,082 of 7,535

I haven't compared the momentum with different cables yet because I just got the momentums 2 days ago, however with the HD558, I prefer the stock cable because its warmer and smoother sounding, the replacement cable feels crisper but doesn't have as much ambiance in its sound. The difference is quite minor but it is noticable.

Will update when i manage to compare the momentum cables thoroughly ^^

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #4,083 of 7,535

I haven't compared the momentum with different cables yet because I just got the momentums 2 days ago, however with the HD558, I prefer the stock cable because its warmer and smoother sounding, the replacement cable feels crisper but doesn't have as much ambiance in its sound. The difference is quite minor but it is noticable.

Will update when i manage to compare the momentum cables thoroughly ^^

I will agree with this.  When comparing it with my Sennheiser cable on the HD598 I had the same results.  This cable was slightly brighter. 

I actually have the "Sennheiser 5X8 Series Short Cable" on order from Sennheiser now so I will compare that when it arrives.

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #4,084 of 7,535
Hey guys. One question I haven't found answer in google, is there a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter available that allows plugging a standard 3,5mm cable into the 598s? I'd like to use V-moda Boompro microphone with them.

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #4,085 of 7,535
Quick question for those of you who love separating well-mastered albums from those that are just badly mixed and mastered.

When you listen to Cracker - Low, do you immediately notice a sense of muffled-ness? Especially with the symbols of the drums and the bass? I can hear the notes perfectly fine, but they just dont have the same clarity and transparency of a great sounding song like the Alice In Chains' MTV Unplugged version of Would?, and even something like Boston's Rock& Roll Band.

If not, please just tell me that it is my crappy (compared to real audiophile cans) HD 429 and FiiO E11K setup.

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #4,086 of 7,535

Alright I compared the momentum on ears with 3 cables:
Ebay cable
Original On Ears Cable
Over Ears Momentum Cable

Source is the Hippo Biscuit mp3 player

Conclusion:
Over ears cable > One ears cable > Ebay cable

We shall start with the original stock over ears cable. Instruments sounded nice with decent organicness to its sound and soundstage, its treble is pretty well extended with some sparkle and its bass is pretty smooth and surrounds around you.

The ebay cable in comparison has a really blunt treble with poorer extension, losing most of its sparkle and air. The bass is also more focused inside your head and is thumpier and doesn't sound so smooth.

The over ears cable on the other hand sounds smoother overall with a more refined treble and is the best sounding among the three i feel with the widest soundstage overall.

However when i checked the Sennheiser UK replacement parts i saw that both the momentums use the same cable code. As a result of this I am rather confused and will not give any guaranties that the momentum over ears cable result wasn't affected by placebo until i can test further when i return to the shop.

I am however pretty certain that the ebay cable is inferior to the sennheiser cable.

PS additional fun fact: a pair of drivers would set you back 32 pounds, but the headband will set you back a whopping 132 pounds and a pair of earpads will set you back 26 pounds.

However the most amazing thing is that the straight cable is 10 pounds, but the cable with mic is a crazy 78 pounds.

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #4,087 of 7,535
  Alright I compared the momentum on ears with 3 cables:
Ebay cable
Original On Ears Cable
Over Ears Momentum Cable

Source is the Hippo Biscuit mp3 player

Conclusion:
Over ears cable > One ears cable > Ebay cable

The ebay cable in comparison has a really blunt treble with poorer extension, losing most of its sparkle and air. The bass is also more focused inside your head and is thumpier and doesn't sound so smooth.

The over ears cable on the other hand sounds smoother overall with a more refined treble and is the best sounding among the three i feel with the widest soundstage overall.

However when i checked the Sennheiser UK replacement parts i saw that both the momentums use the same cable code. 

After a month of use of the China cable, I have to give my 2 cents. First off, I have not tried the China cable with the Momentums. However, I have a/b all 4 of the Momentum and Momentum On-ear. My conclusion is that the cables with the inline controls do sound slightly quieter in comparison to the straight, but sonically speaking they are identical. I have to concur with Sennheiser on that the cables are identical.

Now on to the HD598s. I love the new cable! It fits so well, both physically and aesthetically. The cable itself is of high quality construction, something that I was worried about. The plugs and cable strains do their job extremely well when being stressed. I keep forgetting that the cable length is only 1/3 of the original so I keep reaching for things thinking I have another 2 meters of play only to yank, twist, or pull on the cable and headphones. Both have held up well under my blonde moments.

Sound quality with the China cable is actually slightly better than the stock. Upon first plugging in the China cable I was surprised at the difference. I know most of you have noticed no change, but I actually find that there is subtle, yet noticeable differences. I was not expecting this as I purchased the cable for it's length, yet to my ears I immediately noticed a difference (for the better).  I didn't order the cable from eBay or Amazon. I purchased it locally from, ironically enough, a Chinese fellow selling the cable on Kijiji. He was using the cable with his HD558 before he upgraded and at the time of purchase told me that he thought the new cable did sound better. I thought nothing of it until I got home, plugged it in and resumed the song I was playing before I left (Gjermund Larsen (1981-) - DIPLOM - folk suite for fiddle and string orchestra by Trondheimsolistene). "No..." I thought, thinking this must be a placebo effect. I plugged in the stock and pressed play, then swapped it again for the new. Ok, this is interesting. This is what I found:

Bass: No difference in extension, but it does sound fuller with more body and air. This is most noticeable with strings.
Mids: No change noticeable.
Treble: A slight extension in range, and like bass more air. Female vocals sound more 'sweet' when hitting the higher registers, and cymbals gain a little crispness.
Soundstage: A noticeable improvement, probably the area that gains the most. Not wider, just a whole lot more open; more air.

As stated I have been using the new cable for the past month. The past couple of days (in between my Civilization: Beyond Earth games) I have been a/b the stock and China again. I figure I have been using the China cable long enough to notice any changes over the stock. Again, I immediately notice the subtle differences.

Here is some headphone pron (yes that is spelled right 
tongue.gif
) for you good folks!

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #4,088 of 7,535
I'm having a real musical 'experience' sat here listening to the album Yanqui U.X.O by Godspeed You! Black Emperor on my 598s through the HRT Microstreamer.  This is epic, imposing, expansive, brooding and deep!

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #4,089 of 7,535
Hey guys! I hope You'll be able to help me.

Yesterday I did the soundstage mod to my 598s (cutting out the black foam that covers the plastic grill)

The difference in sound is noticeable but that's not the point

After plugging my headphones back I noticed that there is an audible buzzing in my right earcup which wasn't there before the mod.

I hope I can fix the problem by myself although I need to ask, did anybody here have the same problem (buzzing in the earcup) and if yes, how was this problem solved?

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #4,091 of 7,535
Yup, but I can rescrew them if necessary.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #4,093 of 7,535
  After plugging my headphones back I noticed that there is an audible buzzing in my right earcup which wasn't there before the mod.

I hope I can fix the problem by myself although I need to ask, did anybody here have the same problem (buzzing in the earcup) and if yes, how was this problem solved?

Almost certain it is a hair that got in and is touching the driver. Go back in and shine a bright led on the driver and closely look for a hair. I guarantee ,it doesn't take much of a hair to cause rattle. 1 strand of cat fur will cause do it. Hope this helps, and good luck!

beerchug.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #4,094 of 7,535
Almost certain it is a hair that got in and is touching the driver. Go back in and shine a bright led on the driver and closely look for a hair. I guarantee ,it doesn't take much of a hair to cause rattle. 1 strand of cat fur will cause do it. Hope this helps, and good luck!

:beerchug:  

Just for future reference and to help others who happen to come across this trouble and read this post, how do you remove the hair if it is so? Compressed air?

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #4,095 of 7,535
Just for future reference and to help others who happen to come across this trouble and read this post, how do you remove the hair if it is so? Compressed air?

I would not recommend compressed air as it would push in the diaphragm. Perhaps you will luck out and the hair will be easily visible and can pull off with your fingers. But more than likely the hair/fur will literally be stuck on the diaphragm. Plastic tweezers and a steady hand. I made the almost potential mistake when using metal tweezers trying to get the fur off from my DT 770's driver; the magnets are STRONG and will pull down the tweezers, potentially collapsing or tearing the diaphragm.

Be warned, and make sure you are 100% before attempting anything. Take your time and keep a cool head.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back