Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #4,052 of 7,535
Okay, going all the way back to page 4 of this thread, Headstar, you showed how the earcups don't bend on the 598's compared to the 448's.

I hate to ask you this, but can I get a size comparison of the 598 to the 448's? I currently have the 429's (which are the same design as the 448) and the ear cups on them are just a little too small for my liking, which presses on the outside of my ear slightly and causes uncomfort after a while. Besides that, they are super comfortable.

I'd like a size comparison between the 598 and the 448 so that I have an idea of how these will fit me. THANKS SO MUCH if you actually do so!

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #4,053 of 7,535
Okay, going all the way back to page 4 of this thread, Headstar, you showed how the earcups don't bend on the 598's compared to the 448's.

I hate to ask you this, but can I get a size comparison of the 598 to the 448's? I currently have the 429's (which are the same design as the 448) and the ear cups on them are just a little too small for my liking, which presses on the outside of my ear slightly and causes uncomfort after a while. Besides that, they are super comfortable.

I'd like a size comparison between the 598 and the 448 so that I have an idea of how these will fit me. THANKS SO MUCH if you actually do so!

Earpad openings are huge, you shouldn't have a problem. I have 428, 429s, 439, 558 and 598.

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #4,054 of 7,535
@SleathX1 - I wanted to take a photo of them, but the angle of view, because of the headband, makes them look similar in size, which in reality is not true. The HD 598 pads are both larger and deeper. Comfort should not be a problem at all.

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #4,056 of 7,535
SWEET thanks so much! I've heard so much about the 598's and I've never gotten the chance to see them in person or hear them, so thanks man!

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #4,057 of 7,535
These 598s have got a new layer of beauty, detail and realism through my HRT Microstreamer DAC.  I remember a number of people in this thread saying these don't change much with different sources/amps.  Well, to my ears, these are now a big step up from this DAC.  They still retain their smooth signature, but there is more separation, air and presence around the instruments that bring the sound noticeably closer to real life.  Gorgeous.

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #4,058 of 7,535
I have a soround sound with 4k Definitive Technology pro cinema 800 working in magnolia Store im starting with AudiophIle woo audio etc. I have ASTRO A40 headset that cost 150 and blows this HD598 out of the water. Im really disapointed on this headsets. They do on the contrary to what people rote and told me that they dont have base. They have tons of base. This headphones aré good for music yes but for 200$ hell no. And they aré horable in binaural recordings. I do. mean bad bad. With music they are good not worth 200$ I got them for 100. Gift. They are light feel cheap. All plastic. If you ask me between the ASTRO A40 and the HD598 I will no with ASTRO save $ open headsets as well closed. Use mike or no mike. Save the $ and go with ASTRO A40. Yes they are for gaming and still sounds better. Like I mention. I work on MAGNOLIA I do have an idea of what sounds good. Noooow the use on the headphone is iPone iPad and ASTRO Dolby DAC. I'm not impressed at all

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #4,060 of 7,535
I have a soround sound with 4k Definitive Technology pro cinema 800 working in ....

I am not even going to dignify this post with a complete quote. Whether it was the bad grammar, poor sentence structure, horrendous spelling, or the arrogance, it was really painful to read. I had to carefully re-read the post several times before I fully understood what the poster was trying to say, which was for the most part nothing but drivel. There are 'impressions', and there are biased rants.

I had the Astro A40 with the surround control module; I swapped a $50 Wal-Mart gift card for them with a co-worker at our late Christmas party. While the Headphones themselves were to my ears superior in sound to my Corsair Vengeance 1300, it was only because they were open backed and had a greater soundstage. Sonically speaking they were on par when outputted from both my SB Recon3D and the A40's control module.  Both pretty neutral but the A40 had the potential to have greater bass. What impressed me the most was the surround control module; It was pretty versatile with it's inputs and it's virtual surround worked surprisingly well. However I was content with my setup at the time and the A40s were put back in the box and went up on Kijiji. They actually took months to sell and when a buyer contacted me I had forgot I even had them.

Anyway, in comes the HD598s. I had sold my SB Recon3D and Vengeance 1300s months previous and bought my Audioengine D1, which I was using with the HD598 for everything audio; Gaming, Movies, and music. Before I sold the A40s I took them out for a quick check over, and so the buyer can test them. Naturally I plugged the A40s into the D1, and loaded up Diablo III. I went around and killed things for a bit. Satisfied they worked ok, I took them off and set them aside. I plugged in my HD598 and continued to play for a bit to kill time.

Obviously I don't have the A40s anymore to directly compare them to the HD598s, otherwise I would have just did an A-B comparison and saved you folks a long read. The whole point of my story is that once I took off the A40s and put on the HD598s I knew immediately that one pair sounded like a $100 pair of headphones and one sounded like the 5th highest ranked headphones here at Head-fi. The money I got for the A40s went towards the purchase of my T70s. Just my 2 cents.

beerchug.gif

Edit: And I just wanted to add, the HD598 sound FANTASTIC with binaural recordings. They go together like beer and pretzels! 

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #4,061 of 7,535
And 2 smilies as a last thrust to the gut?   Touche`
I don't know how many English speakers there are in the world, but Spanish just might have the edge buddy.
I no speeka the  Espanol ,
but when I was in grade school about 50 years ago the United Nations floated the idea of making "Esperanto" the Lingua Franca of the whole wide world. Why "Lingua Franca', because at one time French was the language of world diplomats.
English only won out because of the mass media and computers had made headway first.
I think, by his username that the fellow is  possibly from the Philippines where it is normal for many to speak 8 of the various large ethnic languages, English,Arabic, Spanish--oh I forgot also Filippino.
I myself am not American and know only 2.048 languages.
If you will be lucky enough to buy headphones for your teenagers someday, I have no doubt that they will be playing Catch -Up to quickly learn some Pidgen chinese or mandarin cuz Jack that is the future.

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #4,062 of 7,535
Hi everybody,

Just wanted to post my impressions on the 598s.  I love the warmth and texture of the mids with these headphones.  I have a pair of the HiFiMan HE-400s and Grado SR80e headphones and these are my favorite out of the three (not that I don't enjoy the others).  The 598s have a modest soundstage, a good balance of bass and treble and the great midrange I mentioned earlier.  Details can be heard that speakers or cheaper headphones cannot pick up. I have demo'd the Sennheiser  HD-650s and 800s at a meet I attended here in the Detroit area where I live.  While the 598s don't have the richness of those two, they hold there own and retain the characteristics of the Sennheiser sound.  Plus I paid $181 for them via Amazon! 

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #4,063 of 7,535
Sorry if my auto correct in the phone was set for another language lol I speak 4 of them and can get confusing some times. Not everyone is bilingual. Lmao. Anyway I have the ASTRO A40 and the HD598 the sennheiser got them 3 weeks ago. And I'm not impressed at all goood in binaural recordings. Look at virtual barbershop in YouTube. ASTRO way better. Have them bouth. By the way você entendeu tudo o que eu tinha a dizer sobre crapy audiófilo sobre Sennheiser HD598 preço?. Entendiste todo lo q te Quercia decir de el audífono o eres medio bruto y sólo entiendes un lenguaje. HOW IM Telling you. hai capito tutto quello che avevo da dire su crapy audiophile su Sennheiser HD598 conveniente? Did you understand. Lol. Feel bad for you if you don't. Will never travel will never learn to respect people and other cultures. And pleas stay to the review. Thanks

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #4,064 of 7,535
I have a soround sound with 4k Definitive Technology pro cinema 800 working in magnolia Store im starting with AudiophIle woo audio etc. I have ASTRO A40 headset that cost 150 and blows this HD598 out of the water. Im really disapointed on this headsets. They do on the contrary to what people rote and told me that they dont have base. They have tons of base. This headphones aré good for music yes but for 200$ hell no. And they aré horable in binaural recordings. I do. mean bad bad. With music they are good not worth 200$ I got them for 100. Gift. They are light feel cheap. All plastic. If you ask me between the ASTRO A40 and the HD598 I will no with ASTRO save $ open headsets as well closed. Use mike or no mike. Save the $ and go with ASTRO A40. Yes they are for gaming and still sounds better. Like I mention. I work on MAGNOLIA I do have an idea of what sounds good. Noooow the use on the headphone is iPone iPad and ASTRO Dolby DAC. I'm not impressed at all

Bass not base!
Bass not base!
Bass not base!:D

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #4,065 of 7,535
Hi everybody,

Just wanted to post my impressions on the 598s.  I love the warmth and texture of the mids with these headphones.  I have a pair of the HiFiMan HE-400s and Grado SR80e headphones and these are my favorite out of the three (not that I don't enjoy the others).  The 598s have a modest soundstage, a good balance of bass and treble and the great midrange I mentioned earlier.  Details can be heard that speakers or cheaper headphones cannot pick up. I have demo'd the Sennheiser  HD-650s and 800s at a meet I attended here in the Detroit area where I live.  While the 598s don't have the richness of those two, they hold there own and retain the characteristics of the Sennheiser sound.  Plus I paid $181 for them via Amazon! 

My HD 598s were my first audiophile headphones. I still have them; I still love them. As my listening acumen has improved and my headphone collection diversified, I learned to listen for different headphone attributes such as soundstage, transparency, speed, and the like.

I learn these attributes from various of my other headphones that specialize in these features, e.g. Grados for transparency, Senneheiser HD 800 for sound stage, and the like.

Then once I learn how to listen for each of these attributes, I return to those original HD 598s and I find... It's In There! Those headphones have it all... Not as strongly as headphones that specialize in the feature, but definitely There.

Amazing.

Oh, and they are super comfortable.

Oh, and they look unique and great, especially in my German car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back