Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #3,661 of 7,535
  So got my 598s and they distort at high volumes , at around 150hz and the left driver seems to get worse as it gradually rolls off , its at high volumes but with songs mastered with more bass its apparent at medium volumes , for example "You Got Me" by The Roots , what a  downer 

O
OMG, MrTechAgent!  I have NEVER heard of anyone else having a distortion problem with the HD 598s, and even more alarming, in just one ear!

I'm listening to "You Got Me" by The Roots on my own HD 598 right now as I write this.  I hear no distortion, bass or otherwise, at full volume.

The frequency response indeed does have a tiny 3dB glitch a bit below 150 Hz... but I don't think it is enough to cause the problems that  you hear.

I fear you got a bad unit.  Can you exchange it?  I think there was a defect before you got it.

I feel somewhat responsible (OK, only a tiny bit), since I recommend this headphone so highly to so many.

Let me know if you can replace the unit.  Thanks!

May 10, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #3,662 of 7,535

Don't blame yourself , as it goes up at every 10hz increment (Increase in Volume) the left cup seems to be affected the most , the right cup has that too... just a bit less
I have some friends over at Senn so I might be able to get a replacement but I think its a common problem , some of my Mid-Fi open headphones  have it too , it doesn't sound like plastic resonance , I'm certain its the membrane being over-driven by the magnet , also the volumes are a bit high - not too high though , I might try my friend's 598 before I go to RMA 
I was expecting robust drivers Senn is known for , I will never know why this problem persists in Mid-Fi OBs 

May 11, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #3,663 of 7,535

So after more testing , I have concluded that the driver is not defective , its the freaking baffle and the cone retention , its obvious ...if the driver was defective there should be some mortal breakup which is not exactly the case here , the retention is solid plastic unlike the 6XX series which has more space between the membrane , also that's made of some type composite which is acoustically treated to absorb any resonance the driver is producing , it makes more sense because I have a Brainwavz HM5 which is a copy of the Senn Baffle design but with the same retention composite as the 6XX , that is why its so solid and never rattles , all makes sense  ...the 598 is a inferior design 

650 Composite 

HM5 composite 

All of this aside , they sound fantastic just like any other 598 , just at volumes over listening levels the driver kinda takes a beating  

EDIT 1 - Gave mine in for replacement 

May 15, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #3,664 of 7,535
I just received a modmic 4.0 to attach to my HD598, glued it to the left cup just behind the cable connector (as i wanted to avoid anything magnetic on the mesh or to block it (even partially), dunno how it would have affected the sound). The build quality is great, the plastic casing around the mic feels solid with no gaps.

May 19, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #3,666 of 7,535
  can anyone comment on how different these are compared to the Fidelio X1 ? 

head-fi'er Maliken ranks the X1 as #1 out of 4 and the HD 598 as #2, here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/109756/rank-the-headphones-that-you-own/3465#post_9981822

Hope this helps... send a note to Maliken for more detail.

May 21, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #3,668 of 7,535
A year or more ago I was standing in a store debating on whether to get the Sennheiser HD650 or HD598 and I ultimately chose the HD650 and I have to say that they're really only stellar performers on my Bottlehead Crack, oh but what performers.  Little dark though.  Most of my gear is better suited to lower impedance headphones though.

After all this time I decided to go ahead and get a set of HD598's.  Did my homework and bought a refurbished pair from:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0042A8CW2/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

Just got them today and its apparent I should have gotten them when I was standing in that store so long ago.  Really comfortable and can hardly tell I have them on.  I personally like the styling of them although that's not that important and you can't see them when they are on your own head.

I'm rolling them through my equipment today and they absolutely SHINE on two of my systems. 

First is a Fiio E12DIY amp hooked to an iMod iPod.  The Fiio has a MUSES02 opamp and LMH6321 buffer.  Holy smokes I am blown away however maybe not as much when paired to my Schiit Stack.  Schiit Modi DAC and Magni Amp.

This is a match made in heaven.  I've been chasing the dream of The Sound for years and this might be as close as I've gotten and what's ironic about that is it costs less than $500 for the whole deal (not including the computer the Schiit Stack is hooked to).

Anyway what a great set of headphones.  Good solid bass, clear mids, and it has the treble I like.  I like the bright stuff.  I like to hear the cymbals and the maracas. 

I don't think you can go wrong with these headphones.  They fit well on all my systems so far.  Kinda like the venerable Sony MDR-V6 which are and probably will always be my favorite headphones.

May 23, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #3,669 of 7,535

Got a replacement and it still distorts , what a piece of sh** ..worst buy ever 
Again sorry for being so pedantic but this is just ridiculous , its poorly engineered ..eye opener for a Senn , I'm not here to sugar-coat , just being honest the 598 sucks , the 6XX is a better value , even the dt880 and the HM5 which has better control and is free of distortions , can't believe no one here talked about this serious issue 

Here's the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHkhgMETZvU ....yeah I know its inverted (Sorry about that) 

May 23, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #3,670 of 7,535

Again sorry for being so pedantic but this is just ridiculous , its poorly engineered ..eye opener for a Senn , I'm not here to sugar-coat , just being honest the 598 sucks , the 6XX is a better value , even the dt880 and the HM5 which has better control and is free of distortions , can't believe no one here talked about this serious issue 

Hmm... Don't have that issue when I demoed it but sorry to hear your bad experience though 
size]

May 23, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #3,671 of 7,535
That's weird. I had two pairs and none of them distorts. Though i'm not sure, it's your microphone too sensitive or you're playing them extremely loud. They definitely shouldn't be used as portable speakers. 

Is this distortion present when you have them on head at a normal listening volume? If not, maybe you just have reached their limits. But if there is, indeed sounds like a defective unit. 

May 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #3,673 of 7,535

Here's the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHkhgMETZvU ....yeah I know its inverted (Sorry about that) 

No one has talked about it because they aren't having the same issue. My pair is rattle/distortion free using any kind of good amplifier.

May 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #3,674 of 7,535
  That's weird. I had two pairs and none of them distorts. Though i'm not sure, it's your microphone too sensitive or you're playing them extremely loud. They definitely shouldn't be used as portable speakers. 

Is this distortion present when you have them on head at a normal listening volume? If not, maybe you just have reached their limits. But if there is, indeed sounds like a defective unit. 

Well , it was recorded at a reasonable volume , it wasn't crazy loud ...it was recorded on a iPad so the there is no extra peaking 
None of my headphones go through this at this volume , except the HE-300 ...also this was a replacement pair , the earlier one also had the same issue , can't be a coincidence that both of them are defective 

May 23, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #3,675 of 7,535

Also when we talk about "limits" I would expect a headphone which uses a fake baffle design based on Senn headphones do distort as well but my HM5s never distort 
It could be the above theory when I talked about the plastic retention vs the composite retention , or maybe my country received defective 598s ? Honestly don't know , my 650s never had this and will never 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back