Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #7,441 of 7,535
Oops, lol too. Now I see what you're referring to.I have the ivory 598; and like Girgle Mirt, both cups look like the bottom picture, they don't have that ring sticking out., like the top picture.
Could it be light reflection ? I can see the ring outline as your first photo if tilt to the light source, but when i touch, it is in one piece.

So figured out what it is! Both of them have that same plastic piece outline underneath the fabric, except the left cup the plastic ring outline is warped so it's pressing up higher against the actual fabric causing a noticeable outline compared to the right cup. I can press it down to make it look normal and it makes squeaky sounds, right cup perfectly flat so the that outline is barely there. Going to return it & just buy a new one (with warranty). Thanks guys.

Jun 28, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #7,442 of 7,535
So figured out what it is! Both of them have that same plastic piece outline underneath the fabric, except the left cup the plastic ring outline is warped so it's pressing up higher against the actual fabric causing a noticeable outline compared to the right cup. I can press it down to make it look normal and it makes squeaky sounds, right cup perfectly flat so the that outline is barely there. Going to return it & just buy a new one (with warranty). Thanks guys.
Ah, glad you figured it out..

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #7,443 of 7,535
I had the same difference on the HD 598 Cs. Plus the fabric above the drivers had different thickness. One was more transparent. There are photos somewhere in this thread or the other. I don't know if it was done on purpose to compensate for driver imbalance or just difference in manufacturing.

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #7,444 of 7,535
They will probably add Nylon into the plastic , thats what Monster did to fix the Solos.

I recently ripped open my HD598's to do an XLR recable. Had them for 2 years without a single flaw in the chassis. The top headband is a high-flex TPE covered in some sort of synthetic leatherette. The ear cups and trim material are all tool-grade PA-66 glass-fiber reinforced @30%, according to the imprinting.

I don't get how people can listen to these off onboard sound and be happy with them, maybe its just my music preferance, but without an amp I found them slow, boring, grainy, and a little muddy. Since I didn't want to invest in an amp I returned them, I had them for about 1-2 weeks and there were no cracks. I guess I got lucky with that. For the record I listen to very fast and very heavy metal, and some electronica and blues. It did great with the electronic genres, and ok with the blues, but for metal it was a complete letdown. However after trying these I cannot go back to my Grados, I now know what a soundstage is. Take my impressions with a grain of salt though, as I only could try them out of onboard sound and my dad's stereo, which is just an old Sony 5 slot CD player.

I bought the 598's over several other similar-priced models because I read that they are particularly suited toward integrated audio circuits, such as those found on motherboards and in phones, and I agree wholesale. I have since picked up an (actually surprisingly high-quality) entry-level DAC/Amp and the differences in speed and resolving are marginal unless you have pretty good ears. There is, however, a DRAMATIC improvement in imaging and sound stage when switching to a higher quality decoding and amplification circuit. I'm currently rolling on tubes, and I would recommend switching to a FET amplifier if you're going to use these headphones. These roll off in the high-end (the infamous Sennheiser Veil) and the added sharpness really synergizes to bring them to life, hence why they do well with an onboard circuit. I did some A/B testing between my desktop rig and my Denon HT receiver and the differences are nuanced but stark. Much better positional audio. These things have great clarity and instrument separation when given good source material. I also agree with a lot of the forum posters who mention that, though the bass extension is great, it's a bit boosted. I listen to mostly classical, though, so the low-end heft is WELL appreciated (and the roll-off in the treble because of the Veil is a bit of a bummer). All of that STILL comes through on an onboard circuit, I hastily re-mention. These are extremely forgiving cans in that sense with a broad depth.

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #7,445 of 7,535
Hello everyone!
I've been looking for a pair of comfortable over the ear cans that have a fatigue free sound signature. Will be using them at home and I listen to mostly Progressive, Classic Rock, a bit of EDM as well.
Would the HD 598 be suited to my needs? Any other options in the same price range that could be better for smooth listening sessions?
I'm not a basshead and love the cymbal crashes from Gavin Harrison(member of the bands Porcupine Tree and King Crimson)

Any suggestions or impressions would be of great help since I can't decide between the open back and closed back version of these cans. Please help!!

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #7,446 of 7,535
Hello everyone!
I've been looking for a pair of comfortable over the ear cans that have a fatigue free sound signature. Will be using them at home and I listen to mostly Progressive, Classic Rock, a bit of EDM as well.
Would the HD 598 be suited to my needs? Any other options in the same price range that could be better for smooth listening sessions?
I'm not a basshead and love the cymbal crashes from Gavin Harrison(member of the bands Porcupine Tree and King Crimson)

Any suggestions or impressions would be of great help since I can't decide between the open back and closed back version of these cans. Please help!!
they have bump in the upper mids, so i am not sure for the "fatigue free sound signature" part

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #7,447 of 7,535
Hello everyone!

The Beyerdynamic DT 250 - 250 ohm are a great amount more natural and less fatiguing than the Sennheiser HD 579 (which is supposed to sound very close to the HD 598).

Not that the HD 579 is fatiguing; it just is less controlled on those areas than the DT 250, the DT 250 is brighter at the upper treble, but around the same emphasis on the upper mids.

The DT 250 may be a little tight though. The Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velours is even smoother than both (yet still clearer and way more natural than the HD 579) and is very comfortable, the fit didn't go well on my head though, but that's more of a personal issue.

E-MU Walnut is also excellent, if you don't mind a bit of loose bass.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #7,448 of 7,535
The Beyerdynamic DT 250 - 250 ohm are a great amount more natural and less fatiguing than the Sennheiser HD 579 (which is supposed to sound very close to the HD 598).

Not that the HD 579 is fatiguing; it just is less controlled on those areas than the DT 250, the DT 250 is brighter at the upper treble, but around the same emphasis on the upper mids.

The DT 250 may be a little tight though. The Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velours is even smoother than both (yet still clearer and way more natural than the HD 579) and is very comfortable, the fit didn't go well on my head though, but that's more of a personal issue.

E-MU Walnut is also excellent, if you don't mind a bit of loose bass.

I was able to try the DT 770 for sometime and the clamping pressure could be a problem for me. I couldn't try the HD 598 anywhere so I'm relying on impressions.
Amazon US has a prime day coming up on 16th so do you guys think there could be a sale on HD 598?

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #7,449 of 7,535
I was able to try the DT 770 for sometime and the clamping pressure could be a problem for me. I couldn't try the HD 598 anywhere so I'm relying on impressions.
Amazon US has a prime day coming up on 16th so do you guys think there could be a sale on HD 598?
The HD 579 should be smoother than the HD 598 from all the comparisons I've read.

The HD 579 is pretty good for the price, just not the best. But if you want to sacrifice that for more comfort, it's up to you man

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #7,450 of 7,535
Jul 4, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #7,451 of 7,535
Hmm I'd never think of the HD598 as "fatiguing". Maybe if you've got some sort of medical conditions then well, maybe. But it's still a Sennheiser and harshness is the last thing I'd think of.
It's more like an unrefinement of timbre in the upper mids I'm hearing, but that's only in comparison to more refined sets. On their own, they shouldn't be a problem.

Driven by the Mojo though, it's not evident

Btw, the DT 150 in particular was never uncomfortable or too tight, but the shape of the headphone caused me personally sealing problems. Otherwise they're excellent

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #7,453 of 7,535
@pranavtripathi
I won't buy a closed back over the HD 598 for the music you're listening too. For home listening, the comfort and sound stage are much better with the HD 598 and these aspects matter a lot.
About the sound - the bump is not in the upper mids, it is at 9K. Not really a problem and can be easily fixed with -3dB eq @9K. Like someone said earlier, I won't call this "fatiguing" in any case. My pair, after over 2 years of use, sound smoother.
If you can save a little more I'd go for the new HD 599 though.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf
https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum/

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #7,454 of 7,535
@pranavtripathi
I won't buy a closed back over the HD 598 for the music you're listening too. For home listening, the comfort and sound stage are much better with the HD 598 and these aspects matter a lot.
About the sound - the bump is not in the upper mids, it is at 9K. Not really a problem and can be easily fixed with -3dB eq @9K. Like someone said earlier, I won't call this "fatiguing" in any case. My pair, after over 2 years of use, sound smoother.
If you can save a little more I'd go for the new HD 599 though.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf
https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum/
Thanks for the recommendation! I noticed that ebay.com has the HD 599 for 147$ and it says that it is an open box item. Do you think it is okay to buy from them or should I wait and see if there is a deal at Amazon prime Day on 16th July?

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #7,455 of 7,535
Thanks for the recommendation! I noticed that ebay.com has the HD 599 for 147$ and it says that it is an open box item. Do you think it is okay to buy from them or should I wait and see if there is a deal at Amazon prime Day on 16th July?
Personally I won't trust an ebay open box. Better wait for an Amazon deal or save some more :) You don't buy headphones every day. Especially if it is your first purchase of a "better" headphone and they will be your main unit, nothing can beat the satisfaction of opening a brand new box :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back