Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #7,471 of 7,535
How do you know the 598 SR use a different driver than the 598? Everything I've read says they are the same driver.

Likewise, with the 598 SE, how do you know it's a different driver from 598? When the SE came out, some head-fi'ers emailed Sennheiser and they confirmed they're the same exact headphones except for color and an additional short cable with the SE. Plus, I found the SE colder than the Ivory, while others who heard both, found the Ivory sounded colder, while some said they sounded the same. This is why I'm thinking the sound differences were due to variations in manufacturing.

Well, let me back step a LITTLE bit and say that they use different ASSEMBLIES, the SR/SE, that is. When I was recabling my headset, I tore the whole thing down, ripped out the old Litz wire, and then rewired it with 18AWG/2C. While doing that, I had my soldering iron up too high and accidentally flaked off one of the gold traces on the driver PCB, destroying the driver assembly. SO I had to order parts to replace my error. While trawling through the parts catalog, I noticed that the HD518/558/598 all use the same driver ASSEMBLY part numbers, so the same baffle and driver. HOWEVER, the SE and SR BOTH had different part numbers. They very well COULD use the same baffle and driver, with, say, maybe different screw hole drilling or tabs for mounting, but the ASSEMBLIES in the SR/SE are not the same PART as the one they use in the OG HD518/558/598.

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #7,473 of 7,535
OK, after a solid month of research, it was between the HD 598, K7XX, DT990, and the HD 6XX. I decided to go with the HD 598 because they are easy to drive, and according to many, have a solid soundstage and are great for gaming/movies as well as film soundtracks.

I just got them in today from BLINQ. I must say that they are in exquisite condition, and this won't be my last purchase from BLINQ. Having said that, before I get into what I think about the HD 598, I'll give you a breakdown of what I actually own:

1) Koss PortaPro (my most used headphones simply because they work with everything, I don't notice them on my head, and I love their sound even though I can hear their limitations
2) HifiMan RE0: I really like these IEMs. They have quite a bit of headroom and can be tailored easily to what I like with a very slight 3dB bump to the bass
3) Rock-It R-50: Great BA IEMs. The fit is a bit finnicky, but the sound is warm, yet resolving

(NOTE: All songs I am listening to are either 320kbps MP3 or FLAC. I am driving the headphones with a Fiio E17K)

Ultimately, I was looking for a full sized headphone that would give me a bigger and overall better sound/presentation/soundstage than the PortaPros. I really thought the HD 598 would be it. But I am completely underwhelmed by these. The soundstage is larger than the PortaPros, but sound separation, indeed sound resolution at the upper mid frequencies is worse on most tracks. This has to be what people dub as the infamous Sennheiser veil. Its not that the sound isn't there, its just REAAALLLY laid back. And I'm coming from PortaPros which aren't known for being particularly resolving, bright or accurate. In some music, instrument placement is more engaging on the Sennheiser, in other songs its distracting because the upper mid frequencies are so far back there, it sounds like someone is singing from down a round hallway.

What the Senns definitely have over the PortaPros is much better bass accuracy and resolution. Here, there is a clear delineation of sound quality. The highs are resolving as well, though I can't perceive enough of a difference here that make them stand out whereas I feel my RE0's are likely ever so slightly more resolving than the Senns, with the PortaPros just behind the Senns but barely. Mids are solid, though when the sound starts to drift to the upper mids, they sound a bit muffled. A great example track I use is Peyroux's This is Heaven to Me:

Her voice should sound like velvet just caressing your ears. The Senns absolutely fail on this. Muffled, veiled, Chloroformed vocals. The PortaPros don't do much better here, but I am comparing a $200 pair of full sized headphones with some $40 1984 on ear technology. The PortaPros get a bit closer, but the RE0's nail this when I bump up the bass to warm their more upper-midrange prominent sound. The background instrument placement is definitely more interesting with the Senns, and this is a good track that demonstrates their soundstage capabilities. Its not as large as I had thought it would be, but it is noticeable compared to the headphones I own.

I am obsessed with big, ethereal orchestral tracks from games and movies. This type of music typically has a simple melody, and no words which mates perfectly for work where I often find myself needing to concentrate. Anything with words just messes with my concentration, as do complex Classical or Jazz music. I love the potential for this type of music to be huge in its space, as if the strings and brass instruments' sound waves traversed over huge mountain peaks, converge into the valley and into your ears. Three songs I use to test openness, expansiveness and imaging are:
1) From Past to Present (Jeremy Soule)
2) Welcome to Jurassic Park (John Williams)
3) Ginnung (Jeremy Soule. Timestamp: 9:54)

Here, the Senns do win in soundstage but they are a mixed bag overall in terms of instrument placement and that ever nagging upper-mid ultra-laid back nature. In the first song, the strings are missing the air on the Senns that can be heard barely on the PortaPros, better still on the RE0. Imaging is best on the Senns and that likely has to do with some of the lower mid strings and their overall soundstage presentation. Overall I like the Senns best here, but its not a resounding win for me.

On the second song, The Senns are noticeably better everywhere but the upper mid timbre in the cello strings. This is one of the only songs where I feel the Senns are the clear leader.

On the 3rd, the build up to the crescendo has good space on the senns, but once it finally hits, the upper mid veil takes away quite a bit of the impact. Instrument placement is best on the PortaPros here, with the RE0 winning the upper mid resolution of the trumpets. There is no decisive winner here, which to me is a problem since I'm comparing a $50 IEM, $40 on-ear to a $200 full-sized headphone.

So the verdict: I have already boxed up the Senns to be returned and have decided to up my budget a bit and spring for the AKG K7XX from Massdrop. I believe they will give me the overall resolution I'm looking for with the large soundstage of the 598 (possibly larger). At the end of the day, if I'm spending $150+ on a pair of headphones, they should be noticeably better at just about everything than my $40, 40-year old tech PortaPros. For me, the HD 598 was just not that.

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #7,474 of 7,535
Hey guys I need some help... I got the 598 SR ones and unfortunately I had a bad bug infestation in my house and they got some of it... Now everything is fine but I want to clean them properly before I put them on again.

Can anyone please guide me somehow so I dont destroy them or something? Thanks!

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #7,475 of 7,535
Hey guys I need some help... I got the 598 SR ones and unfortunately I had a bad bug infestation in my house and they got some of it... Now everything is fine but I want to clean them properly before I put them on again.

Can anyone please guide me somehow so I dont destroy them or something? Thanks!

You'll probably need to take out the pads and wash them and brush the inner fabric filters.

These videos will help taking out the pads and filters:

You can wash the pads immersing them in a solution of water and some dish washing liquid. Squeeze them gently into that, and then gently squeeze the liquid and let them dry naturally.
This is what I've done with an old pair of HD 518 to clean the pads.
Or maybe in your case, there's no need for washing, just use a sanitizing spray on them. This one or similar >>
http://www.sanytol.com/en/product/disinfectant-deodorizer-air-surfaces-and-fabrics-mountain

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #7,476 of 7,535
OK, after a solid month of research, it was between the HD 598, K7XX, DT990, and the HD 6XX. I decided to go with the HD 598 because they are easy to drive, and according to many, have a solid soundstage and are great for gaming/movies as well as film soundtracks.

I just got them in today from BLINQ. I must say that they are in exquisite condition, and this won't be my last purchase from BLINQ. Having said that, before I get into what I think about the HD 598, I'll give you a breakdown of what I actually own:

1) Koss PortaPro (my most used headphones simply because they work with everything, I don't notice them on my head, and I love their sound even though I can hear their limitations
2) HifiMan RE0: I really like these IEMs. They have quite a bit of headroom and can be tailored easily to what I like with a very slight 3dB bump to the bass
3) Rock-It R-50: Great BA IEMs. The fit is a bit finnicky, but the sound is warm, yet resolving

(NOTE: All songs I am listening to are either 320kbps MP3 or FLAC. I am driving the headphones with a Fiio E17K)

Ultimately, I was looking for a full sized headphone that would give me a bigger and overall better sound/presentation/soundstage than the PortaPros. I really thought the HD 598 would be it. But I am completely underwhelmed by these. The soundstage is larger than the PortaPros, but sound separation, indeed sound resolution at the upper mid frequencies is worse on most tracks. This has to be what people dub as the infamous Sennheiser veil. Its not that the sound isn't there, its just REAAALLLY laid back. And I'm coming from PortaPros which aren't known for being particularly resolving, bright or accurate. In some music, instrument placement is more engaging on the Sennheiser, in other songs its distracting because the upper mid frequencies are so far back there, it sounds like someone is singing from down a round hallway.

What the Senns definitely have over the PortaPros is much better bass accuracy and resolution. Here, there is a clear delineation of sound quality. The highs are resolving as well, though I can't perceive enough of a difference here that make them stand out whereas I feel my RE0's are likely ever so slightly more resolving than the Senns, with the PortaPros just behind the Senns but barely. Mids are solid, though when the sound starts to drift to the upper mids, they sound a bit muffled. A great example track I use is Peyroux's This is Heaven to Me:

Her voice should sound like velvet just caressing your ears. The Senns absolutely fail on this. Muffled, veiled, Chloroformed vocals. The PortaPros don't do much better here, but I am comparing a $200 pair of full sized headphones with some $40 1984 on ear technology. The PortaPros get a bit closer, but the RE0's nail this when I bump up the bass to warm their more upper-midrange prominent sound. The background instrument placement is definitely more interesting with the Senns, and this is a good track that demonstrates their soundstage capabilities. Its not as large as I had thought it would be, but it is noticeable compared to the headphones I own.

I am obsessed with big, ethereal orchestral tracks from games and movies. This type of music typically has a simple melody, and no words which mates perfectly for work where I often find myself needing to concentrate. Anything with words just messes with my concentration, as do complex Classical or Jazz music. I love the potential for this type of music to be huge in its space, as if the strings and brass instruments' sound waves traversed over huge mountain peaks, converge into the valley and into your ears. Three songs I use to test openness, expansiveness and imaging are:

Here, the Senns do win in soundstage but they are a mixed bag overall in terms of instrument placement and that ever nagging upper-mid ultra-laid back nature. In the first song, the strings are missing the air on the Senns that can be heard barely on the PortaPros, better still on the RE0. Imaging is best on the Senns and that likely has to do with some of the lower mid strings and their overall soundstage presentation. Overall I like the Senns best here, but its not a resounding win for me.

On the second song, The Senns are noticeably better everywhere but the upper mid timbre in the cello strings. This is one of the only songs where I feel the Senns are the clear leader.

On the 3rd, the build up to the crescendo has good space on the senns, but once it finally hits, the upper mid veil takes away quite a bit of the impact. Instrument placement is best on the PortaPros here, with the RE0 winning the upper mid resolution of the trumpets. There is no decisive winner here, which to me is a problem since I'm comparing a $50 IEM, $40 on-ear to a $200 full-sized headphone.

So the verdict: I have already boxed up the Senns to be returned and have decided to up my budget a bit and spring for the AKG K7XX from Massdrop. I believe they will give me the overall resolution I'm looking for with the large soundstage of the 598 (possibly larger). At the end of the day, if I'm spending $150+ on a pair of headphones, they should be noticeably better at just about everything than my $40, 40-year old tech PortaPros. For me, the HD 598 was just not that.

Nice review! I happen to own both Porta Pro and 598, and while I love both, the 598s are better in every aspect except for bass quantity. The Porta Pro have noticeably more grain while the 598s are much smoother and more resolving. Also, I found the Q701 (very similar to K7XX) to have a wider, but much more distant-sounding soundstage than 598. They sounded artificial and distant, especially with TV/movie material. Almost sounded like some sort of echo chamber. The 598s have a more accurate soundstage presentation, IMO. I agree with you that 598s have a more relaxed presentation of the mids, but IMO, it's not as significant as you're describing. I would not describe their mids as distant or overshadowed by lows or highs, just relaxed enough not to cause any listening fatigue.

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #7,479 of 7,535
after 3 years of use my sennheisers 598 started buzzing in left ear,i cleaned them already and still not working, do you guys know any solution or simply replace it
Take off the filters (see videos above), and see if there's a hair stuck there and touching the driver membrane. This can cause the buzzing. Be very careful not to damage the driver!
If everything is clean there, the driver may be forced / damaged from driving the headphones too loud. In that case you need to replace it

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #7,480 of 7,535
after 3 years of use my sennheisers 598 started buzzing in left ear,i cleaned them already and still not working, do you guys know any solution or simply replace it

I'm currently holding on to a friend's pair of HD518, and I own (and have modded) the ATH-M40x and M50x, which use a similar one-sided detachable cable system to the HD5xx series. I've also owned a HD598 before, but that pair didn't cause me any issues.

Based on my experience, I can tell you one of two things might be happening:
1) You've extended and retracted the headband mechanism too often, and the internal wiring has gotten loose. This is what happened to my friend's pair of HD518, and he had to get it fixed at our local Sennheiser service center. This was before he passed the headphones to me.
2) Something is wrong with the cable and/or the jack. Dirt could be on the jack on either end of the cable, or in the jack, or your cable has simply been bent too many times and one side is cutting out. If cleaning the jacks doesn't fix this, if possible, get a replacement cable for the headphones and see if this fixes the issue. The Audio-Technica cable for the M-series is pretty affordable, and you can also get third-party cables that are nicer.

Also, check for any hairs, fibers, etc that might've gotten into the driver like @KopaneDePooj suggested. That said, I've been pretty rough with headphone drivers before while modding, and they've never konked out on me like this.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #7,481 of 7,535

Nice review. I agree with most of your points, and like you, the HD598 didn't work for me. I realised after owning the HD598 that while I enjoyed the headphones a lot, they were too mellow and unexciting for my taste; at the price, I could get a lot more going up or get more bank for buck going down. Eventually, I was fortunate enough to get the E-MU Teak at an amazing price and that's the highest-end headphone I own.
I won't quite say the HD598 are necessarily "veiled" though. Sure, their highs aren't as sharp as the DT990, and my guess is the K7xx would be brighter up top too. But I personally thought the HD598 had superb separation and detail for the price, while being smooth. Mids were a bit soft in impact, I will admit, but I also wouldn't call them recessed. Someone on the HD599 thread said the HD598's mids sound "cheesy", and I might agree to a certain degree, though I wouldn't call it a bad thing imo.
Just to be clear, I don't think the HD598 are bad by any stretch, and I certainly would recommend them for a safe, easy-to-drive option. They just didn't do it for me as a daily driver.
In any case, hope the K7xx make you happy.

Aug 7, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #7,482 of 7,535
Nice review. I agree with most of your points, and like you, the HD598 didn't work for me. I realised after owning the HD598 that while I enjoyed the headphones a lot, they were too mellow and unexciting for my taste; at the price, I could get a lot more going up or get more bank for buck going down. Eventually, I was fortunate enough to get the E-MU Teak at an amazing price and that's the highest-end headphone I own.
I won't quite say the HD598 are necessarily "veiled" though. Sure, their highs aren't as sharp as the DT990, and my guess is the K7xx would be brighter up top too. But I personally thought the HD598 had superb separation and detail for the price, while being smooth. Mids were a bit soft in impact, I will admit, but I also wouldn't call them recessed. Someone on the HD599 thread said the HD598's mids sound "cheesy", and I might agree to a certain degree, though I wouldn't call it a bad thing imo.
Just to be clear, I don't think the HD598 are bad by any stretch, and I certainly would recommend them for a safe, easy-to-drive option. They just didn't do it for me as a daily driver.
In any case, hope the K7xx make you happy.

I've been burning in/doing some listening with the K7XX. They are definitely more what I was hoping for in terms of audio quality improvement over my PortaPros. The mids and highs are well extended, and the transients are fast, with almost no bleeding between the frequencies. I will say, these aren't particularly as comfortable to wear as everyone else seems to believe they are. The Senn 598 were probably the most comfortable full-sized headphones I have ever tried. These K7XX's are marketedly heavier, and due to the enormous driver size, they basically clamp on my jaw a bit. I can wear them for a few hours at a time, but they definitely don't disappear like the PortaPros, nor do they stay comfy like the 598s. Initial impression of the sound stage is that it is smaller than the Sennheiser 598, but this is made up for with an overall better timbre and sound presentation in the mids and highs. Overall sound quality is solid, though I'm personally not sure its $200 solid.

I'll come back to do a full review in a week or so. I want to empty my brain that has been programmed to the PortaPro sound/presentation for so long. I also want to write a mini-impression of the Yaxi Pads for the PortaPros which are absolutely legit in their claims (reduced veil, larger soundstage, better transient response/less bleed).

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #7,483 of 7,535
I've been burning in/doing some listening with the K7XX. They are definitely more what I was hoping for in terms of audio quality improvement over my PortaPros. The mids and highs are well extended, and the transients are fast, with almost no bleeding between the frequencies. I will say, these aren't particularly as comfortable to wear as everyone else seems to believe they are. The Senn 598 were probably the most comfortable full-sized headphones I have ever tried. These K7XX's are marketedly heavier, and due to the enormous driver size, they basically clamp on my jaw a bit. I can wear them for a few hours at a time, but they definitely don't disappear like the PortaPros, nor do they stay comfy like the 598s. Initial impression of the sound stage is that it is smaller than the Sennheiser 598, but this is made up for with an overall better timbre and sound presentation in the mids and highs. Overall sound quality is solid, though I'm personally not sure its $200 solid.

I'll come back to do a full review in a week or so. I want to empty my brain that has been programmed to the PortaPro sound/presentation for so long. I also want to write a mini-impression of the Yaxi Pads for the PortaPros which are absolutely legit in their claims (reduced veil, larger soundstage, better transient response/less bleed).

Great that the K7xx were the upgrade for you that the HD598 weren't. Hope you continue to enjoy them!

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #7,484 of 7,535

Get the DT990 if you don't mind a fun V shaped signature, its a solid headphone. For something midcentric and very detailed go for 6XX, 600 or HD650.

598 kinda sucks tbh.

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #7,485 of 7,535

You seem to be in the minority in thinking the K7xx soundstage is smaller than the 598's. Did you listen to them back to back, because you said in a previous post that you had already boxed up the 598s and would be returning them? Going from long-term memory is much less accurate than listening back to back.

Also, you say "They are definitely more what I was hoping for in terms of audio quality improvement over my PortaPros. The mids and highs are well extended, and the transients are fast, with almost no bleeding between the frequencies." Are you saying that the HD 598 specifically doesn't share these characteristics? Please keep in mind this is an HD 598 impressions thread, for people to discuss and share their impressions of the HD 598. Comparisons are cool as long as they're written as such. Your upcoming full review of the K7xx should probably be kept out of this thread and relegated to a K7xx thread, unless it's written as a direct comparison to the HD 598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back