Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #7,412 of 7,532
Has anyone here compared the 598CS to the 770 Pro? I was considering these two and ended up getting the 770's (32 ohm) to replace my M50's. I needed something more comfortable. I do really like them, the detail and range is outstanding, and I like how they cover the spectrum. Love the depth of the bass, and they feel great. The velours feel luxurious on my face. They accentuate everything, which is good and bad. My one negative, is that bright sounding music sounds real bright to me...not fatiguing, but definitely...present, and overshadows the rest of the spectrum on some tracks. I think the M50's of making just about everything sound warm though so probably something I just need to get used to. But I like their detail. I'm not sure if I'm listening too loud, or they're clamping a bit too much, or if it is actually the treble, but I feel I'm getting small headaches after long sessions (3 - 6 hours at work, with only small breaks). Haven't had many long sessions with them yet though. Coming off the M50's, I noticed these are bright headphones. I'm hoping I just get used to their signature. I'm wondering if I would like the 598cs better, though maybe not as I'm hearing these have a harshness problem as well, but in the mids. While I like my 770's I'm still a bit curious about the 598cs, as they were my second option...

For more money, I'm also curious about the Momentum 2 (cups look small), B&O H6 (neutral, bass lacking), MDR-1A (cheaper international version might not have warranty, muddy bass?)

Notice, these are closed and portable. I guess my one other gripe is that I could've chosen something more portable than the 770's. The cable is shorter on the 32ohm but still a bit long, and they're a bit bulky looking...
If you find DT770 too bright and revealing, then definitely try the more "polite" and less bright HD598Cs, but keep in mind that 598Cs bass won't be on par with DT770's (usually - Beyerdynamic manufacturing tolerances aren't quite that tight, so you could hear a dozen 32-ohm DT770s and notice one having much better quality bass than the next, one much brighter than the next, and so forth). Like the other 5x8 headphones, 598Cs has boosted upper bass like DT770 and other headphones have boosted midbass. That doesn't offend most people who try 5x8 headphones, though, but just so you know.

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #7,413 of 7,532
If you find DT770 too bright and revealing, then definitely try the more "polite" and less bright HD598Cs, but keep in mind that 598Cs bass won't be on par with DT770's (usually - Beyerdynamic manufacturing tolerances aren't quite that tight, so you could hear a dozen 32-ohm DT770s and notice one having much better quality bass than the next, one much brighter than the next, and so forth). Like the other 5x8 headphones, 598Cs has boosted upper bass like DT770 and other headphones have boosted midbass. That doesn't offend most people who try 5x8 headphones, though, but just so you know.
Thanks. Since I posted that, I found that the treble has calmed down quite a bit. It can still be a bit prominent at times but it's no longer harsh and overbearing. Better than the first two weeks, though I understand they aren't polite. I think I will ignore the 598CS as I've since read a lot about the Meze 99 Neo and all the good things being said about them have me wondering...maybe next time I'll look into those, but for right now I'll keep using the 770's. They have a lot of power and energy which is awesome but sometimes I kinda miss the relaxing warmth. But hey, no headphone is perfect. I may get warmth out of one headphone but lacking highs. I'm still new to the game though and I'm still learning my preferences. I just like quality headphones :)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #7,414 of 7,532
I decided to contact Sennheiser Canada about a potential headband replacement for my black 598SE and they recommended the HD558 headband which is cushioned & felt covered. Sounds like an excellent solution. They indicated that the stock headband can be peeled off and be replaced with the 558 headband. It's only $12 plus tax and shipping. I decided to order one.
Not sure if it helps but this was my post last year when I had to replace the padding on the standard 598s.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-598-impressions-thread.541039/page-478#post-13629005
Couldn't be simpler, as long as your replacement physically fits.

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #7,415 of 7,532
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #7,416 of 7,532
I decided to contact Sennheiser Canada about a potential headband replacement for my black 598SE and they recommended the HD558 headband which is cushioned & felt covered. Sounds like an excellent solution. They indicated that the stock headband can be peeled off and be replaced with the 558 headband. It's only $12 plus tax and shipping. I decided to order one.

That HD558 headband cushion arrived this past weekend. I peeled off the crappy HD598SE (black version) stock cushion and replaced it with the HD558 cushion. Ahhhhhh...soft & comfortable. I can't understand why Sennheiser put a piece of rough vinyl schiit on the 598SE...what a brain fart the designer had!

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #7,417 of 7,532
That HD558 headband cushion arrived this past weekend. I peeled off the crappy HD598SE (black version) stock cushion and replaced it with the HD558 cushion. Ahhhhhh...soft & comfortable. I can't understand why Sennheiser put a piece of rough vinyl schiit on the 598SE...what a brain fart the designer had!
I agree. I find the 558 headband cushion softer and has a nicer feel than the 598 cushion.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #7,418 of 7,532
I like both cushions.

What I definitely don't like are the cushions on HD598SR and the newer 5x9 updates. Yuck. Sennheisers tend to be so comfortable, but the headbands on the newer 5x9 are a step down from before to me. The HD6/7/8 DJ headphones are also terrible in comfort. I had to get an HD280 headband pad for my HD8 DJ. It's as if they were made for someone with helmet hair, LOL!
I'm not bald (at least not that much yet anyway), and I feel my HD8's headband corners digging into my scalp if I don't use extra padding.
Dammit, Sennheiser.

Meanwhile, headband cushioning on the gaming headsets, HD380, HD280, HD25, HD205, HD700, and HD6x0 are still superb.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #7,420 of 7,532
Yes.

Senn probably didn't put felt behind the Cs drivers like in some of their other headphones, resulting in unwanted resonances that hurt the sound and prevent it from sounding as good as its HD5x8/5x9 brothers..

May 22, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #7,421 of 7,532
I'm trying to mod my HD 598 so I can attach a vmoda boompro on it, but I'm having trouble finding a suitable adapter for it. Everyone recommended Nokia AD-52, but they seem OOS / no longer manufactured.

People warned about using other adaptors because audio cuts out when moving/etc. I was wondering if anyone modded their HD598 recently and had a good alternative to the Nokia AD52 adaptor. Thanks :)

May 22, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #7,422 of 7,532
How does it compare to NAD VISO HP50 ,sound wise? especially bass and treple?
worth upgrading from sennheiser-hd-598 to NAD VISO HP50 ?

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #7,423 of 7,532
Hi Sennheiser users, I am new to Sennheiser cans, and just got my first HD 598 SR .

I noticed there's no 'Sennheiser' text nor engraved text on top of the headband compare to previous models i.e. 598, 598SE, is it so? I hope i am getting a genuine one.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #7,424 of 7,532
Hi Sennheiser users, I am new to Sennheiser cans, and just got my first HD 598 SR .

I noticed there's no 'Sennheiser' text nor engraved text on top of the headband compare to previous models i.e. 598, 598SE, is it so? I hope i am getting a genuine one.

I checked videos and photos of the original SR ,and all of them without the logo on top , anyway ...this video may help you...

May 31, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #7,425 of 7,532
I checked videos and photos of the original SR ,and all of them without the logo on top , anyway ...this video may help you...

Many thanks for the link and clarification. There's hologram sticker with QR code in my boxset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back