Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #7,171 of 7,535
Btw, I gave my ivory 598's to my Dad; who absolutely loves them. Even compared to my other open backs. He thought the DT-880's were better, but likes the 598's more.

I can understand that. My DT880s might be better but I like my 598s more. You mentioned Mezes. I have the Meze 99 Neo and really enjoy them. Very comfortable as well.

Looked at your list. We have a few of the same headphones. I notice you have HD580s. Can you say something about them? Particularly in relation to the 598s.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #7,172 of 7,535
I can understand that. My DT880s might be better but I like my 598s more. You mentioned Mezes. I have the Meze 99 Neo and really enjoy them. Very comfortable as well.

Looked at your list. We have a few of the same headphones. I notice you have HD580s. Can you say something about them? Particularly in relation to the 598s.

About 11-12 years ago, I met an engineer friend that had a pair of 580's and 595's. This was my first experience with Sennheiser cans. I was making a rock/metal demo at his studio, and I liked the 595's better. They were faster and had more top end sparkle.The 580's were a bit too laid back for me. At the time, I wasn't too familiar with higher end headphones, and my new friend informed me that the more revered headphone was the 580, because it was more natural and neutral. So, fast forward a year or so later, and a business associate lost a bet and said he'd buy me a pair of headphones if he lost. I told him, I'd take either the 580's or 595's. He got me the 580's. I've held on to them through the years because of their prestige, but I don't really ever listen to them.

For the longest time, I stayed away for 600's because I was under the impression that they were pretty much the same as the 580's. I eventually got 600's, and when I compared, they were NOT the same. While they share a similar sound signature, the 580's have a harsher/more strident mid-range through treble, and are in turn, colder sounding. The 580's are more clinical and analytical in the mids. The 600's are more smoother across the EQ spectrum.

580 vs 598? - The 598 are the same as 580's, except for a sharper treble at around 5-6k, and minus the strident mid-range of the 580's. Which makes the bass sound more full on the 598's. The 598's in general to me, sound like they have a short dip in the mids at around 750-850hz, which gives an impression of slight constriction of the soundstage (but the treble peak gives back depth). Because of The 598's mid dip/treble peak, they are more fun to listen to, and sound warmer in comparison. But the 580's have a better EQ balance.

I like the 598's better. The 580's almost sound "A" shaped, due to the dominant and strident mid's, but they are actually very balanced.

I tested the 3 just now, with one song: Fleetwood Mac "Gypsy" - (mainly the intro through first half of the song).

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #7,173 of 7,535
580 vs 598? - The 598 are the same as 580's, except for a sharper treble at around 5-6k, and minus the strident mid-range of the 580's. Which makes the bass sound more full on the 598's. The 598's in general to me, sound like they have a short dip in the mids at around 750-850hz, which gives an impression of slight constriction of the soundstage (but the treble peak gives back depth). Because of The 598's mid dip/treble peak, they are more fun to listen to, and sound warmer in comparison. But the 580's have a better EQ balance.

I like the 598's better. The 580's almost sound "A" shaped, due to the dominant and strident mid's, but they are actually very balanced.

I tested the 3 just now, with one song: Fleetwood Mac "Gypsy" - (mainly the intro through first half of the song).

Thank you for that. I actually just took delivery on a used pair this week and because they are not "like new" or "mint" as described by the vendor I have the right to return them. I would have to replace the headband foam and the pads which adds quite a bit to what I already paid. The foam covering the driver is crumbling and the headband padding is totally flat. The pads, while clean, flatten out too much as though the foam inside may deteriorated. I have liked what I have heard so far but today I will compare them as you did...maybe with the same song. There have been are four generations of the 580 through the years, so we might not have the same one. I do not have a 600 but my husband has a 650 which I cannot listen to as I detest the clamp of that one. Which do you prefer between the 600 and the 598...comfort and sound.

My first Sennheiser was HD480 bought in the mid 90's. Cheap plastic and inexpensive but very comfortable and I loved the sound. I regret throwing them away in 2005. I thought the cable was permanently attached and that they were ruined when the right channel kept dropping out. Wish I had come into headfi then. I think I have been chasing that sound ever since but of course I cannot really exactly remember the sound...only how they made me feel when listening to my favorite albums at the time.

Jul 30, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #7,174 of 7,535
Meanwhile Tyll measures and reviews the HD 569 - which is virtually the same as HD 598 Cs (I heard them both) - and puts it on his Wall of Fame :-|
Very different measurements and description of the midrange, contrasting with what I and others here agree that the Cs sounds like:
"I hear a slight imbalance emphasizing 500Hz-1kHz a bit more than 1kHz-3kHz making vocal fundamental tones a bit stronger than their overtones, which I hear as a slight warmth and veil to voices."
My HD 598 Cs sounds nothing like this... if they would I would like them more. Mine sound exactly the opposite.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd569-around-ear-sealed-headphones

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #7,175 of 7,535
Mostly agree with him. Cs/569 are very good and very underrated headphones. Maybe yours CS is not like it should be? I've had sound problems with two 598 open units first SE then one of SR's. Definetly some manufacturing differences. If that's the case than I guess we all talking about different headphones, regardless of same model number....

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #7,177 of 7,535
Thank you for that. I actually just took delivery on a used pair this week and because they are not "like new" or "mint" as described by the vendor I have the right to return them. I would have to replace the headband foam and the pads which adds quite a bit to what I already paid. The foam covering the driver is crumbling and the headband padding is totally flat. The pads, while clean, flatten out too much as though the foam inside may deteriorated. I have liked what I have heard so far but today I will compare them as you did...maybe with the same song. There have been are four generations of the 580 through the years, so we might not have the same one. I do not have a 600 but my husband has a 650 which I cannot listen to as I detest the clamp of that one. Which do you prefer between the 600 and the 598...comfort and sound.

My first Sennheiser was HD480 bought in the mid 90's. Cheap plastic and inexpensive but very comfortable and I loved the sound. I regret throwing them away in 2005. I thought the cable was permanently attached and that they were ruined when the right channel kept dropping out. Wish I had come into headfi then. I think I have been chasing that sound ever since but of course I cannot really exactly remember the sound...only how they made me feel when listening to my favorite albums at the time.

Guess what? The pads (head and ear) are the same as the pair you have. Empty and deflated. And remember, I barely used them over the course of 10 years. So, I think thats just the natural life cycle for the padding. I remember picking them up a few years ago, and saying to myself "What?!" Lol

598 vs 600? - 598's are vastly more comfortable (probably the most comfortable headphone Ive ever worn besides the Sony MDR-1A). No clamp pressure. But I like the vice grip clamp of the 600's. I feel like once they are set on my head the way I like, I never have to adjust them. Sound wise? The 600's all day. They are just smoother and more balanced all the way around. They also don't crap out when the bass level goes above quiet. The soundstage depth is a few rows further back on the 598's (due to the mid dip/treble peak), but a non factor in comparison. When going back and forth between the two, the 598's 6k peak is very noticeable and annoying. The 600's are practically perfect with EQ balance. They do dip below 50hz, and treble above 6k, but you can easily tweek those areas with EQ. The extention is there. They are smooth and well extended, and aside from their slight dips/roll offs, they are the most balanced headphones I have. Because they are so smooth and refined, they aren't the absolute best for analytical surgical listening. So yeah, 600>598 all day.

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #7,178 of 7,535
Possible...
Mine sound exactly like metal571 describes here:

Keep in mind what he said about he's preference. He's super sensitive to upper midragne peaks and he's EQing every single headphone. He said almost same thing about 558 which basically is same headphone as 598 opens. He hears peaks in those as well.... 598Cs were never harsh to me. If anything midragne was slightly recessed, but never piercing.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #7,179 of 7,535
598 vs 600? - 598's are vastly more comfortable (probably the most comfortable headphone Ive ever worn besides the Sony MDR-1A). No clamp pressure. But I like the vice grip clamp of the 600's

That is the biggest difference between us. I absolutely hate clamp. When the headband is plastic there is not much to be done about it. Metal bands can be carefully stretched. My husband has HD 650s and I cannot even stand to have them on my head for the length of one song.

I don't like the clamp of newer style headband of his HD598CS either.

I do love the comfort and sound of my HD598 SE. I will have to decide what to do with the 580s. Will do some listening tonight.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #7,181 of 7,535
Clamp varies from unit to unit even among same headphone model. Besides you can always stretch it. By design SE clamp is absolutely the same as CS and so is SR.
I never heard anyone say the Ivory or the SE had a tight clamp. I just know my SE has no clamp and the CS that I tried had a vice grip on my head.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #7,182 of 7,535
It's only different by the added pading, but it really isn't differnt in clamping. I've had both SE and SR no differnce in clamping, but there was difference between two SR units, so it's not like each unit is the same even among same model number.... Hello made in china :)

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #7,183 of 7,535
It's only different by the added pading, but it really isn't differnt in clamping. I've had both SE and SR no differnce in clamping, but there was difference between two SR units, so it's not like each unit is the same even among same model number.... Hello made in china :)

I know the padding has been done differently but I prefer how the old style was done. Suits me better. Many, like you, prefer the new fit. I do not. It is individual preference. Also, if you try to stretch a plastic band you risk cracking it. People have done that...even with normal wear from putting them on and taking them off.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #7,184 of 7,535
@KopaneDePooj
I've heard about the bass, but I also heard they're pretty similar other than that. The cheapest I've seen them was 199 euro, probably never gonna be cheaper, so anyways I'm not paying 110E more for the looks and possibly slightly better sound. Would consider if these were closer to 150E, but they're not and rarely on sale.

None taken. After all it was you who claimed ivory is superior to black edition so in fact you should be agreeing with me right now... But to me it's really irrelevant since I've done my testing and am confident about what I said. You should understand my sound preference has nothing to do and never will with your disagreement.
I'm not sure which black edition you're referring to. I said Ivory was superior to Cs, but you prefer Cs. And I do understand; that's why I said "we'll leave it at that." Plus, I've made my comparisons between the 2 clear here and in other threads, some of which you previously commented on, so no need for me to repeat myself.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #7,185 of 7,535
I also tested Momentum 2 and it has a completely different sound signature than 598 Cs. Much bigger bass (in a good way), fuller mids, proper vocals tonality, smooth highs. To me they sound much better than Cs, and I would exchange my 598 Cs for M2 any day. But the PM-3s I like even more.
I had a very brief comparison of the momentum2 and hd 569 ,which is supposed to sound the same as the 598cs, at my local Best Buy. The momentum definitely had more bass, and the sound signature of the two headphones was quite different, to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back