Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #7,141 of 7,535
Right now I lean toward first pair. Second one seemed better initially, because it's lauder, but it's also boomy therefore more fatiguing. What's worse I've discovered it has more forward mids and a little harsh highs. I had to take them off after 30 minutes or significantly reduce volume. First pair is much more musical and relaxing to my ears. It appears less engaging when doing A-B tests, but if I listen to them solely for a few hours I no longer have this impression. Too bad these pair has cosmetic defect (indentation in a leather headband). Probaby I'll try to arrange one more replacement.
Also clamping in first pair is super strong and super loose in the second pair haha :) Oh well.... sennheiser china facilities QC sucks... I would've gladly paid 20$ more for product with "made in germany" sticker.

I'll sell you a "made in Germany" sticker for $20. Pm me your details :p

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #7,144 of 7,535
Agreed. HD598SR with improved headband are probably the most comfortable over ears on the market.

Regarding differences in my both pairs discovered what actually is responsible for that - it's the CABLE!!!! One cable is making bass weak and brighter vocals another one is making better bass warmer signature and better soundstage. Couldn't believe it, but it's true! Both pairs sound identical with same stock cable.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #7,145 of 7,535
Agreed. HD598SR with improved headband are probably the most comfortable over ears on the market.

Regarding differences in my both pairs discovered what actually is responsible for that - it's the CABLE!!!! One cable is making bass weak and brighter vocals another one is making better bass warmer signature and better soundstage. Couldn't believe it, but it's true! Both pairs sound identical with same stock cable.
But you said the pair with weaker bass had the better soundstage...

So which cable sounds like what?

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #7,146 of 7,535
Stock short cable from first pair is giving warmer sound better bass
Stock short cable from second pair is giving brighter sound weaker bass, it's like there's more air and vocals are clearer/lauder

tested on both headphones with same results

In terms of soundstage there's not that much (if at all) difference than I initially reported

How is it even possible for a cable to change the sound? I don't get it, it's magic!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #7,147 of 7,535
Stock short cable from first pair is giving warmer sound better bass
Stock short cable from second pair is giving brighter sound weaker bass, it's like there's more air and vocals are clearer/lauder

tested on both pairs with same results

In terms of soundstage there's not that much (if at all) difference than I initially reported

How it is even possible for a cable to change the sound? I don't get it, it's magic!
So you swapped the 2 cables between the 2 cans and the sound signature followed the cables?

Did you try the longer cables with both sets?

Cables can make a difference in sound, but it's usually not that dramatic.

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #7,148 of 7,535
It is possible that one cable is defective and you only get mono, it happens also if the jack is not fully inserted at the source or properly locked into headphone cup.
Or plain defective cable. A bad connection can explain the perceived difference in soundstage and bass.

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #7,149 of 7,535
Yes sound change when I swap cables. Sound is identical in both headphones with the same cable. And it's different with the other cable, but still same on both headphones. The difference is not that dramatic, they's still same 598SR, but it's definetly noticable at least to my ears. My initial perception of soundstage difference could be caused by one pair being burn in for 20hrs and the other for just a few.
Didn't try longer cables, because I don't use them. Decided to keep better sounding short cable (haha) and headphones without cosmetic defect :)

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #7,150 of 7,535
Yes sound change when I swap cables. Sound is identical in both headphones with the same cable. And it's different with the other cable, but still same on both headphones. The difference is not that dramatic, they's still same 598SR, but it's definetly noticable at least to my ears. My initial perception of soundstage difference could be caused by one pair being burn in for 20hrs and the other for just a few.
Didn't try longer cables, because I don't use them. Decided to keep better sounding short cable (haha) and headphones without cosmetic defect :)
You should probably try the long cables since you're keeping one set of cans. One or both of the cables may be "defective" or sound different, and you may want to use a long cable in the future.

When I had the SE, I initially used only the short cable. When I tried the long cable with SE, it sounded ever so slightly better to my ears (warmer, smoother, less sibilant, more 3-dimensional). I will say that with the cables, the differences were so minimal, that it's possible they were only in my head. The SE and Ivory cans themselves I'm sure without a doubt sounded different.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #7,151 of 7,535
Beyerdynamic.... Berhringer...
Beyer's QC isn't that great either indeed.

Behringer, heh heh. More noise maker than music maker gear.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #7,152 of 7,535
Beyer's QC isn't that great either indeed.

Behringer, heh heh. More noise maker than music maker gear.

Well he did say he would like a German label. Actually have had good luck with my Beyers ( DT880, DT 150, Amiron Home), but my husband received a T1 with a dead driver (quickly replaced). I have not listened to Beringer.

Meamwhile, I love my HD598 SE as a reliable all-rounder. I personally prefer its fit to the newer design. My husband's HD598 CS has far too much clamp for me. I hate any clamp at all but obviously have to have enough to keep it on my head.

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #7,153 of 7,535
Picking the CS up myself for the same price. Interested to compare the comfort and sound to the ol' beige marshmallows which I always found comfortable and pleasing.
So I've had the Cs for a couple days now. I feel anyone expecting a closed 598 may be somewhat disappointed, as they don't really share the same sound signature at all. The similarities they share are in comfort and name alone.

I found the Cs a much darker headphone than the (original, beige/ivory/sedan) 598, with a greater amount of bass which also extends lower, recessed (and slightly grainy) mids, and a very different sounding treble than the original. It's darrrk, somewhat rolled off, and almost makes the originals sound sibilant. Not that the originals were at all fatiguing, but I think if you're sensitive to treble then the Cs will be better for longer listening sessions.

I think soundstage is pretty well obvious, in that it's noticeably narrower and pulled further in than with their open-back cousins. Imagine listening with a yoga ball on your head (HD598!), and then a basketball on there instead (HD598 Cs!). The music happens inside your head with very little front projection, although the stereo seperation is still pretty good and souped-up lower regions suit modern compressed genres quite nicely. Lady Gaga likes the Cs. Although the soundstage is not of the dimensions I'm used to, I do think they could make a better movie watching headphone due to the increased weight they offer vocals (particularly male vocals).

I could definitely see someone having both these 'phones in their collection, as long as they understand the limitations and use case scenarios of each.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #7,154 of 7,535
So I've had the Cs for a couple days now. I feel anyone expecting a closed 598 may be somewhat disappointed, as they don't really share the same sound signature at all. The similarities they share are in comfort and name alone.

I found the Cs a much darker headphone than the (original, beige/ivory/sedan) 598, with a greater amount of bass which also extends lower, recessed (and slightly grainy) mids, and a very different sounding treble than the original. It's darrrk, somewhat rolled off, and almost makes the originals sound sibilant. Not that the originals were at all fatiguing, but I think if you're sensitive to treble then the Cs will be better for longer listening sessions.

I think soundstage is pretty well obvious, in that it's noticeably narrower and pulled further in than with their open-back cousins. Imagine listening with a yoga ball on your head (HD598!), and then a basketball on there instead (HD598 Cs!). The music happens inside your head with very little front projection, although the stereo seperation is still pretty good and souped-up lower regions suit modern compressed genres quite nicely. Lady Gaga likes the Cs. Although the soundstage is not of the dimensions I'm used to, I do think they could make a better movie watching headphone due to the increased weight they offer vocals (particularly male vocals).

I could definitely see someone having both these 'phones in their collection, as long as they understand the limitations and use case scenarios of each.
Agree for the most part, except that I didn't find the mids recessed (maybe the low mids). I found the mids, possibly low treble, boosted relative to bass and high treble, making them sound too hot and fatiguing on many songs.

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #7,155 of 7,535
@Hammy
I've had CS now got SR (basically same as SE). CS's earpads are more luxurious and better quality, but they're actually worse in comfort. Why? Becasue they have memory foam, which is super squishy not stiff enough to resist clamping. This made my ears slightly touch inner cup. Also they made my ears hot after 1hrs+ and it was winter time. I literally had to take them off once in a while to cool my ears. HD598SE/SR pads are totally different story. They're cheaper, made from simple material, but it is a stiff one. My ears have plenty of space never touch cup's insides. Big bonus is that they're super breathable I don't need to take off headphones even now summer time. If you can I highly advice to get SE/SR pads and put them on CS. You will notice a big difference in comfort. I'm thinking of getting CS again on future amazon sale just to listen to them in SE earpads.

Sound differences I find SE/SR to be very similar to CS. It's not a day and night difference. Yeah there's something going on with treble or mids I don't remember, but it's not as bad as they say. Thanks to being closed it's much easier to hear echo/decay and those harder to notice details. SE/SR being open can be less enjoyable in that department, espeically if you're in a room with open window (outside noises).
I don't find SE/SR soundstage very big. It's above average, but for example my sennheiser's MX980 earbuds trumps these in that department. HD598CS's soundstage is just slightly worse than SE.

You should probably try the long cables since you're keeping one set of cans. One or both of the cables may be "defective" or sound different, and you may want to use a long cable in the future.
When I had the SE, I initially used only the short cable. When I tried the long cable with SE, it sounded ever so slightly better to my ears (warmer, smoother, less sibilant, more 3-dimensional). I will say that with the cables, the differences were so minimal, that it's possible they were only in my head. The SE and Ivory cans themselves I'm sure without a doubt sounded different.
Done that no difference between long cables. That one short cable is definetly defective to me. Tested both headphones for 20hrs+ and I managed to spot some differences after all... and regardless of cables. One being brighter with vocals as if above the head and slightly harsh highs, other being darker/warmer with vocals in front of me and very pleasing liquid treble. It was hard for me to hear those differences at first, but the more I compared the more it became apparent. Kept the warmer one (with cosmetic defect unfortunatly) because it is more musical and better balanced to my ears. The one I already sent to amazon were a bit clearer and lauder but after many hours finally realised I didn't like their tonality and it was definetely more difficult to appreciate the soundstage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back