Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #7,201 of 7,532
Before I got the objective 2 amplifier, I plugged all of my headphones into the headphone jack on my Yamaha reciever or my Samsung tablet.
When I got the HD 598's and plugged them into my reciever, what I heard , was similar to what olderroust heard. My impression was: " holy cow, these are pretty bassy".

I was baffled. Of all the reviews I had read, no one mentioned the 598's as being bassy headphones; if anything, some people were saying they didn't have enough bass.
Upon further reading, I came across the impedance "thing'': high output impedance at the device headphone jack, high impedance spike, in the bass frequencies, on the hd598's = boosted bass

That's why I bought the objective2 headphone amp. I wanted to hear the 598's the way they were supposed to sound; or at least, the way everyone else was hearing them.

If you're interested, pick a song with some bass, play it through one of your amps and listen with the 598's ; then play it through your denon with the 598's connected to the denons headphone jack. If the Denon has a much higher output impedance than your amp(s), you'll hear the increased bass. No need for measurements. I just made the measurements out of curiosity.
HD 598 is extremely sensitive to output impedance. Headphone jacks of HIFI/AV amps have almost always high output impedance, far too high for HD 598. I studied the effect of output impedance on headphone sound carefully analyzing the math behind it, and concluded that the highest output impedance you can have with HD 598 is about 5 Ω without significant changes to frequency response. So, to get the best possible sound out of HD 598, use an amp with output impedance of 5 Ω or less. Objective2 headphone amp is 0.54 Ω so you are good with a margin.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #7,202 of 7,532
I believe iPhone 6 output impedance is about 3.2 Ohms. Fiio E10K output impedance is about 1 Ohm. Is that a big enough difference for the iPhone to sound more bassy than the Fiio, because it certainly does to my ear? A bit, not a huge difference.

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #7,203 of 7,532
The rule of thumb is that ideally the headphone’s impedance must be at least 8x higher than the amp’s (or iphone 6 here) output impedance so that the sound stays balanced and the bass stays flat and firm (not boosted and loose). So if you say that the iPhone 6 output impedance is around 3ohms (I know the iPhone 6s’ output impedance is rather around 6ohms) you should be okay in either case since the HD598’ impedance is 50ohms, more than 8x your phone’s impedance.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #7,204 of 7,532
Thanks, but I was asking if the few ohms difference in output impedance between iphone 6 and E10K can contribute to the difference in bass output I hear. Or is a few ohms difference not enough to affect the amount of bass one hears?

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #7,205 of 7,532
I believe iPhone 6 output impedance is about 3.2 Ohms. Fiio E10K output impedance is about 1 Ohm. Is that a big enough difference for the iPhone to sound more bassy than the Fiio, because it certainly does to my ear? A bit, not a huge difference.

Bass bump due to output impedance is 20*log (Zmax*(Zmin+Zout)/(Zmin*(Zmax+Zout))).

For HD 598 Zmin = 60 Ω, Zmax = 275 Ω.

For Fiio E10K Zout = 1 Ω => bump = 0.11 dB
For iPhone Zout = 3.2 Ω => bump = 0.35 dB

So, iPhone is 0.24 dB more bassy. That is nothing.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #7,206 of 7,532
Bass bump due to output impedance is 20*log (Zmax*(Zmin+Zout)/(Zmin*(Zmax+Zout))).

For HD 598 Zmin = 60 Ω, Zmax = 275 Ω.

For Fiio E10K Zout = 1 Ω => bump = 0.11 dB
For iPhone Zout = 3.2 Ω => bump = 0.35 dB

So, iPhone is 0.24 dB more bassy. That is nothing.
Thanks. I'll have to take your word for it on that equation. So probably the more bass I'm hearing with iphone is due to something other than output impedance.

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #7,207 of 7,532
Thanks. I'll have to take your word for it on that equation. So probably the more bass I'm hearing with iphone is due to something other than output impedance.

No problem. 0.24 dB difference is so insignificant, that there must be something else going on. Maybe the bass roll-off of is flatter in iPhone?

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #7,212 of 7,532
I am thinking about getting the Cs version for office/library listening. I currently use SHP9500s at home. Do you guys prefer 598 or SHP9500s?
It has better sound and also is more comfortable, although I prefer pads from 598 open so I swapped them and this is perfect for me. Cs is unique with it's immersive, intimate experience, yet very detailed and with decent bass at a bergain price. Actually prefer them over 598 opens even at home use. You may also consider B&O H6, which in my opinion is way better than those Beyers.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #7,213 of 7,532
I am thinking about getting the Cs version for office/library listening. I currently use SHP9500s at home. Do you guys prefer 598 or SHP9500s?

B&O H6 2nd gen. - Very light. Very portable. Very easy to drive. In my experience, the best sounding closed-back headphone under $300.

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #7,214 of 7,532

I have not heard the SHP9500.

I borrowed a 598C and found it far less comfortable than the my HD598 SE...and they do not sound the same.

Lately my favorite closed all-rounder are my Koss Pro4s. They are very light and comfortable, easy to drive. They come with a nice case and are easily transportable. I don't care for the coiled cord although it would ok at a desk. It is removable and any 3.5mm cable will fit. Also love my Meze 99 Neo. My B&0 H6 are also great but I seem to not wear them as much ...probably because I do almost all my listening at home. Would be excellent for your purpose. I wish I could do a proper comparison for you but trying to a-b things just gives me a headache and ruins my enjoyment of the music. Read some reviews... visit some threads. You would not go wrong with any of those.

Why do I have so many headphones? I blame headfi! I just get too curious.

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #7,215 of 7,532

Btw, as far as open back HD598 vs SHP9500 goes (I'm sorry. I should have mentioned this in my original reply), it's a toss up really, depending on what you value more. The 9500 has less bass (very light), a bigger soundstage, but a grainy tonal quality across the frequency response. The HD598 has more/even bass (but breaks up at a relatively low excursion threshold), a more textured FR, but smaller SS. I like the 9500's more for video games, and the 598's more for music. - They are so similar though, that if you have one, you really don't need the other. If I'd have to choose, I would give the edge to the HD598. The FR tonality is just richer, and of generally better quality. They are also more comfy (one of the comfiest headphones of all time, if not the comfiest). - The 598Cs is completely different. Personally, I feel they have harsh resonance in the upper mids, slightly muddy low mids/upper bass, and treble drop off. Basically, I found them congested sounding. Not good at all for things like rock or metal, but if you are sensitive to treble, listen to more laid back music, and don't mind a more closed in kind of sound, then maybe they are an option for you. They are pretty even FR wise up until the upper mids. Like GoodBoy said, they are unique. At their current price point, I would not recommend them. The most I'd pay, compared to other cans on the market, is $80. - At $80, I would consider them based on their portability.

Under $100? - ATH-M40x or MDR-7506 is what you are looking for, if based solely on sound quality. However, they aren't the most portable. For portable use under $200, look at ATH-M50x (more comfy and sensitive than M40x, and include a small cord for easy use with smart phone/ portable DAP), Sony MDR-1a (international version), ATH-MSR7 (too mid/upper mid forward for me, and fatiguing to listen to music on, but you may like that sort of sound). Under or around $300? - B&O H6, Meze 99 Neo's, or Classics.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back