Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #6,451 of 7,535
  Sorry, not trying to disrupt the thread, but isn't the 598 the same as the 598 SE, other than the color?  

Technically and officially, yes. However, not all HD598s are created equal. 
tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #6,453 of 7,535
  Are you referring to the fakes that are out there?  Or actual legitimate ones having differences?  

Legit. You'll have to go back many pages and read up on the discussion, but long storey short some users report distortion (especially in the bass) at higher volume levels, and some (like myself) hear no such thing. As well, some have commented that the HD598 are a bright headphone with piercing highs, which again I hear no such thing. My SR60s on the other hand...

beerchug.gif

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #6,454 of 7,535

Legit. You'll have to go back many pages and read up on the discussion, but long storey short some users report distortion (especially in the bass) at higher volume levels, and some (like myself) hear no such thing. As well, some have commented that the HD598 are a bright headphone with piercing highs, which again I hear no such thing. My SR60s on the other hand...

beerchug.gif

Thanks for the summary!  In my time with them, I agree with you on the 598 and SR60s.  Never had any issues with the 598's, and actually still miss the vocals on them sometimes, they were so musical and sweet.  SR60s were too bright for me, 15 mins was about all I could take with those.  

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #6,455 of 7,535

Finally, and most importantly, unlike you, I don't see any complaints in that review.  Not one.  I do, however, see many objective and factual statements. 

Read again they review. They spent they entre review criticising they lack of a carrying case and a remote control, and they they take away SEVERAL points just because if this, as if suddenly portability was more importante than sound quality and confort. They are not objective, because they don't balance the different elements that make the headphone.

Oh, and how exactly does this one review prove that the 598 SE are as good as the non-SE 598??  If they somehow compared the 2, I must've missed it.

Frequency charts. They didn't compare the 2, but the frequency charts they posted are from they SE, and there's no inbalance in them, norte any distorsión reportes by the reviewer. Thus proving they are as balanced as the standard edition.

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #6,456 of 7,535

:beerchug:
yep! I have the bass distortion on my598se. Only when past a certain level and or bass boost on. My other headphones don't suffer from this. They are still a great listening experience.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #6,457 of 7,535
  Found this "pro" review of the 598s that's only a few months old.  Haven't seen it posted here.  Thought you all might find it interesting.  The frequency response curves clearly show both the warmth and brightness of these cans.  I disagree that listeners may find them slightly sibilant.  Enjoy.

http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-598

First off, I own the ivory 598's.
Thanks for that link to the Rtings site. I enjoy reading headphone reviews on You Tube, online sites like Inner Fidelity, as well asAmazon, and of course Head-Fi. I had never heard of this site. I like it when I come across bew sites and reviews
 As most Head-Fiers are aware, every site and review is going to have different perceptions, preferences,and descriptions of the headphones being reviewed. The same goes for frequency response graphs. They're like snowflakes, from site to site, no two are exactly alike.
 So when I first started reading the 598 review, I was caught off balance. I saw thumbs down for, leaks a lot of sound, and poor noise isolation. I thought, well duh! They're openbacks. But I finished reading the review, then checked out some of their. Other openback reviews, they were similar; low marks for isolation, sound leakage, mixed usage etc.
 That's when I realised their reviews were from an overall overview or 'cover all the bases' perspective; not just for headphone afficianodos. Alrighty then, I regained my balance. Looking at it this way, my negativity abated; because I really did appreciate all the measurements and graphs they presented. I give them full kudos too, for trying to relate the measurements to the different aspects of headphone sound.
 Having said that, I don't agree that the 598's are prone to sibilance. And I'm not to sure about that huge 9khz. Spike in the treble. I've never noticed that. Although this was a review of an SE version. I own the Ivories.

Anyway, I do find it an interesting site

Veggie Popper, if it makes you feel any better(ha, ha), They rated the 598's and the Beyer dt 990's as the two best headphones for critical listening, in their price range.

Cheers.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #6,458 of 7,535

Having said that, I don't agree that the 598's are prone to sibilance. And I'm not to sure about that huge 9khz. Spike in the treble. I've never noticed that. Although this was a review of an SE version. I own the Ivories.

Yup, however their measurements could very well be correct given some user's reports/impressions on the HD598 SE's (and newer ivory) peaky and sometimes piercing treble. As well, this could be the validation we need to show that indeed there is a difference between the old and the new (and that Sennheiser without notice changed the 11 secret herbs and spices with the HD598). Looking at both Innerfidelity's and GoldenEars' (I wish Headroom's graph was back up) older measurements it does not show such a spike and the bass has much less roll-off, which is how I hear my older HD598s.

My (half serious) theory is that maybe that Sennheiser was worried that the HD598 would cannibalize HD600 sales due to them sounding not that far off and a much lower price tag and nerfed them. Having the HD580 (newer model with black silk drivers plus HD600 grills and headband with upgraded OCC cable) to compare, the only thing the HD600 does truly better is imaging, with a sacrifice of a bit of soundstage. Yes, the HD580/600 does have a more refined sound, but for the average newbie audiophile the HD598 is a better bang for your buck for essentially the same sound signature (plus arguably better looking and is way more comfortable).
Just a Theory... 
tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #6,459 of 7,535
I have had my ivory pair for about 6 months now. Wasn't so sure that I was a fan when I first got them, as I thought from listening that they had the infamous Sennheiser "veil". This coming from someone with a sizable collection of budget and mid-tier cans, as well as my favorite Philips Fidelio X2. After many years of reading here on Head-Fi I came to the conclusion that everyone here is correct in regards to sibilance this, or bassy boom that. The ears tell all. I kept keep looking for a good reason to keep my Sennheiser's, trying them in different combos with my tube amps, various DACs, DAPs,and portable amps. I was always thinking that this headphone needed to be paired with better gear to sound good. Well, like I said, the ears tell all! I finally paired them with a Rockboxed Sansa Clip and a FIIO e11, and these cans sound good as hell! Listening to INXS's "Live Baby Live" is like being there! So, what's my point? Like thousands of other opinions on this site, every pair of headphones has its magical equipment mix and I finally found mine for my 598's. I'm loving them and I'm keeping them. Nobody is wrong, and everyone is Right. Think about it! Peace.

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #6,460 of 7,535
I have had my ivory pair for about 6 months now. Wasn't so sure that I was a fan when I first got them, as I thought from listening that they had the infamous Sennheiser "veil". This coming from someone with a sizable collection of budget and mid-tier cans, as well as my favorite Philips Fidelio X2. After many years of reading here on Head-Fi I came to the conclusion that everyone here is correct in regards to sibilance this, or bassy boom that. The ears tell all. I kept keep looking for a good reason to keep my Sennheiser's, trying them in different combos with my tube amps, various DACs, DAPs,and portable amps. I was always thinking that this headphone needed to be paired with better gear to sound good. Well, like I said, the ears tell all! I finally paired them with a Rockboxed Sansa Clip and a FIIO e11, and these cans sound good as hell! Listening to INXS's "Live Baby Live" is like being there! So, what's my point? Like thousands of other opinions on this site, every pair of headphones has its magical equipment mix and I finally found mine for my 598's. I'm loving them and I'm keeping them. Nobody is wrong, and everyone is Right. Think about it! Peace.

The importance of synergy with headphones, equipment and source cannot be understated.  Then of course comes individual personal preference and that is the most important of all...

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #6,461 of 7,535

Yup, however their measurements could very well be correct given some user's reports/impressions on the HD598 SE's (and newer ivory) peaky and sometimes piercing treble. As well, this could be the validation we need to show that indeed there is a difference between the old and the new (and that Sennheiser without notice changed the 11 secret herbs and spices with the HD598). Looking at both Innerfidelity's and GoldenEars' (I wish Headroom's graph was back up) older measurements it does not show such a spike and the bass has much less roll-off, which is how I hear my older HD598s.

My (half serious) theory is that maybe that Sennheiser was worried that the HD598 would cannibalize HD600 sales due to them sounding not that far off and a much lower price tag and nerfed them. Having the HD580 (newer model with black silk drivers plus HD600 grills and headband with upgraded OCC cable) to compare, the only thing the HD600 does truly better is imaging, with a sacrifice of a bit of soundstage. Yes, the HD580/600 does have a more refined sound, but for the average newbie audiophile the HD598 is a better bang for your buck for essentially the same sound signature (plus arguably better looking and is way more comfortable).
Just a Theory... 
tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

Just a Theory... 
tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

The thought definitely crossed my mind, that the review sample of Rtings, was similar to the samples that some Head-Fiers talked about, having a brighter, peakier treble than the originals. But some Head-Fiers have said the SE's sound the same as the originals.If this is the case , it means some SE's are different than others, which suggests to me , an unintentional quality control issue.

My thoughts are this: The original 598's and the 600's were already out there; if Senn. Was concerned about sales of the 600's because of the598's, I think they would have changed ''the recipe'' (ha,ha) for the SE's from the get-go, before releasing them to the public.
 My original supposition for the release of the SE's, was because a number of people didn't like the colour of the originals. So increase sales of the 598's by changing the colour, rather than, increase sales of the 600's by changing ''the recipe''.

Who knows?

Cheers

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #6,462 of 7,535
Still quite happy with mine. They are probably in the list of best reasonably-priced headphones for gaming. Positioning and soundstage are pretty good, but these are worthy of good music too. Easy to amp, also.

Some annoyances were the included cable with the huge plug and the lack of a case.I solved that with a cheap short twisted cable from AliExpress (noticed no difference to the original) and a cheap case (aso from Ali). Ended up not using the case a single time.

I do hate the ivory color tho. A lot. Makes them look a bit original and retro, but mostly cheap. But when I bought them the black was not available. Considering getting the HD800 now, but I have to listen to them first to make sure they're not too close to the 598.

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #6,464 of 7,535
They sound pretty good to me at ALL volumes...............when driven by my Fiio E17, and with my gendre of music (blues).

I truly think that there is no one pair of phones that are "the best."

It's totally dependant upon the quality of the original master recording, the associated equipment in the listening chain, the gendre of music, the playback volume, the EQ'ing (or not),

I have the SE's, and (a borrowed) set of the honky ivories......and hear no difference whatsoever.

Overall, I think they are well worth the money............BUT......given the criteria above, I prefer my B&W P5, Series 2.

Cheers, del Sol

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #6,465 of 7,535
Read again they review. They spent they entre review criticising they lack of a carrying case and a remote control, and they they take away SEVERAL points just because if this, as if suddenly portability was more importante than sound quality and confort. They are not objective, because they don't balance the different elements that make the headphone.
Frequency charts. They didn't compare the 2, but the frequency charts they posted are from they SE, and there's no inbalance in them, norte any distorsión reportes by the reviewer. Thus proving they are as balanced as the standard edition.

I did read the review, more than once.  They do not spend the entire review criticizing anything.  They have a variety of criteria and categories that they judge ALL headphones they review against.  You can't honestly tell me that you expect the 598s to get a high score in categories of isolation, leakage, or communte/travel.  For someone looking for just the right type of headphone for their needs, it helps to know in what categories a can doesn't fare will in in addition to the categories it does fare well in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back