Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #6,481 of 7,535

Very well written review.  A few points I'd like to comment on...

1.  In terms of comfort, I too initially had a minor quibble with being able to feel the headband pressing on the top of my head.  I found that I had set the sizing too small, and needed to extend the headband by a couple of notches on each side.  Once I did that, I still felt the headband on the top, but it wasn't pressing much at all any longer.  Much more comfortable then.

2.  Regarding build quality, I think it's pretty much average for $150 USD.  For its original price of $250 USD or some localities paying even more, I completely agree the build quality is sub-par at those higher prices.  I owned the M50x for a while and disagree that the 598 build is worse.  It is a bit more flimsy to be sure, but that's by design.  It's more flexible, which in turn, makes it more comfortable.  The M50x feels more sturdy, solid, and rigid, but I found them far less comfortable.  But you are correct, you probably can't sit on them against a hard surface without them breaking.

3.  Regarding the sound, I respectfully disagree, to a point, regarding your assessment of the bass.  Yes, the 598s have considerable sub-bass roll-off, but how many open back headphones at or near their price range, don't have that problem?  Very few open back cans are going to provide potent or even neutral sub-bass.  When I first auditioned the 598s, I compared them, side by side, with other open back cans, namely the Q701, HE400S, DT880, and Fidelio X2.  Only the X2 had more bass quantity than the 598s, while the others had significantly less bass quantity.  You state, "Though roll-off in the sub-bass is common on open headphones, the HD598’s lacking bass extension is comparatively drastic, even taking into account other bass-shy open headphones."  I agree with the first part, but not with the last part.  Overall, the 598s bass is light to neutral in quantity, but not anemic.

4.  Finally, soundstage.  I think most users of the 598 will disagree with you that they do not have a wide soundstage, and I happen to be one of them.  Of all the open back cans, I've tried, the 598s had a much wider soundstage than most, and only the q701 had a slightly wider soundstage.

So while I respectfully disagree with some of your opinions about the 598s, the review itself was very well done.  Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks for the feedback, here's my reply:
1) Maybe it's just my head, when I extend it to 5 clicks the HD598 are secure on my head (not overbearing) but the headband pressure is present. When I extend it to 6 clicks, yes, the headband pressure goes away, but the headphones feel like they'll fall off my head if I so much as look down. I do have a small-ish head size (average for Asian maybe) so that could be why I have that minor issue. And I do mean minor, I don't usually get too hung up over that minor problem.
2) I don't think I said the build was bad, just underwhelming at the price. While it's true that the M50x and HD598 were built for different purposes, small things like the headband and headband arms being metal instead of plastic would've been nice touches, especially given Sennheiser's original MSRP. Also, maybe I should add this in the review, there are definitely other headphones that have more questionable build, but given the HD598's popularity, I thought it was important to point out that a) it isn't the best, and b) owners should probably take good care of it.
3) Perhaps it's the way I phrased my comments on the bass, but this is what I think in a nutshell:
- sub-bass is lacking: this isn't unusual for open headphones, due to bass roll-off. I do not begrudge the HD598 for having lacking sub-bass.
- mid-bass is noticeably absent: this is where I found the HD598's fall-off in the bass to be somewhat jarring. Open cans like the HD518, HD558, K612, and even some Grado/Alessandro headphones I've tried retain some level of mid-bass presence. The HD598's upper bass is very much there, but anything lower just seemed like it jumped ship and refused to show.
TLDR: When I said I wished the HD598 had more "even bass extension", I really meant I wished the bass extended a little lower into the mid-bass, because that would've made it much more enjoyable for more modern music. The severity in the roll-off from upper mid-bass is odd even for an open headphone, in my opinion.
4) Maybe it's how I defined sound stage personally, or maybe I do perceive sound stage differently from people, but I seem to disagree with a lot of people's views on what does and does not have "wide sound stage". For instance, some people said the Sony XBA-H3/Z5/A3 have "wide sound stage" and while iI did think it was much more spacious sounding than almost any other IEM, I didn't think it sounded like a full-sized headphone like some people thought.
Back to the HD598 and why I thought it didn't have a wide sound stage, here's what I define as "wide".
If it extends beyond the cup to provide music in a space that is perceived to be beyond the headphones, that's a wide sound stage. If the space stays "within" the cups, it's narrow or normal.
With my HD598, I never got the feeling that any sound from the left or right extended beyond the cups. Everything was confined within the width of my head. The HD598 does, however, a) sound very tall, and b) have excellent positioning and separation within the space given.
So, within that small space I perceive sound coming out of the HD598, I feel the sense of space, but I don't get the feeling that it's wide or extends beyond the headphones themselves.
I'm not a headphone expert by any means, I've only demoed a good handful, but headphones I'll say have "wide sound stages" would be the Beyerdynamic T90 and the AKG K612. Both of those headphones produced sound beyond the headphone itself, and I felt like sound came further away than it had any right to.
Thanks a lot for your respectful feedback. I really enjoy having discussions like these. It's the reason why I joined this forum. :)

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #6,482 of 7,535

I agree with all of this four points, and I begin to wonder if some of you aren't right about differences in production...
Because I cannot agree with @SoundTown 's description of bass in this headphones...
I said it before, I like bass, I'm comparing the HD598 with some of the hps that I own or owned - M50x, MDR-1A, CAL! - just to name a few, and I find the bass absolutely perfect. Not "shy", not "anemic", just perfect in amount and quality. So either I am listening to the "wrong" kind of music or I am terribly lucky to get a HD598 with proper BASS :)

And about the metal not being present in the build, look at this headphones... The beiges look like violins, the blacks like pianos. Headphones and generally home audio stuff isn't meant to be tortured, thrown and sit upon, so I don't understand all the fuss that some people make about headbands and joints not being metallic. This are not sport or outdoors headphones. I don't require to stretch the headband until is horizontal (as I saw being tested in some videos as "proof of quality built"), I prefer lightness of quality plastic and taking care of my stuff to heaviness and lack of comfort of (for example) M50x.

To clarify on the build, yes I don't think home audio stuff has to survive torture just to be used for mordern living. I own my fair share of cheapo stuff that I'd much rather pay less and take care of than to pay extraordinary prices just so I can rough it up. That said, the HD598, at some of the prices it is available at, is simply not acceptable in its level of build. In Singapore, the HD598 costs close to US $300 since it's still being sold at MSRP, basically double its Amazon price. At US $150, I'll take the HD598's build no problem, but at $300 I expect the good stuff. In my experience, Sennheiser makes good products, but enjoy markups I find pretty stunning considering the end product we receive. I could list several examples, but I don't want to turn this into a discussion where all I do is complain, leave it to the HE350 thread...
Ok that was low.
Next, regarding the bass, I'd like to clarify again that I find the HD598's mid-bass lacking, which is odd even for open headphones in general. The HD558, HD518, AKG K612, and many other open headphones can produce mid-bass just fine, while the HD598's mid-bass is just absent. Perhaps it's amping that's needed to bring it out, I do only have my iPhone and Fiio Q1. But other than that, I don't see the HD598's bass extension going deep by any means.
I've read my fair share of HD598 impressions, and a good handful, like me, would say bass roll-off is pretty severe. So maybe, maybe, there are inconsistencies in the way this headphone is being manufactured after all.
At the end of the day, I don't find the HD598's bass characteristics bad or unpleasant. In my experience, nothing on my HD598 can be described as such. It's just the way it is, the way I perceive it, or the way my unit has been made... Pick your poison.
Anywho, thanks for your respectful feedback. Really enjoy discussions like these. :)

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #6,483 of 7,535

To clarify on the build, yes I don't think home audio stuff has to survive torture just to be used for mordern living. I own my fair share of cheapo stuff that I'd much rather pay less and take care of than to pay extraordinary prices just so I can rough it up. That said, the HD598, at some of the prices it is available at, is simply not acceptable in its level of build. In Singapore, the HD598 costs close to US $300 since it's still being sold at MSRP, basically double its Amazon price. At US $150, I'll take the HD598's build no problem, but at $300 I expect the good stuff. In my experience, Sennheiser makes good products, but enjoy markups I find pretty stunning considering the end product we receive. I could list several examples, but I don't want to turn this into a discussion where all I do is complain, leave it to the HE350 thread...
Ok that was low.
Next, regarding the bass, I'd like to clarify again that I find the HD598's mid-bass lacking, which is odd even for open headphones in general. The HD558, HD518, AKG K612, and many other open headphones can produce mid-bass just fine, while the HD598's mid-bass is just absent. Perhaps it's amping that's needed to bring it out, I do only have my iPhone and Fiio Q1. But other than that, I don't see the HD598's bass extension going deep by any means.
I've read my fair share of HD598 impressions, and a good handful, like me, would say bass roll-off is pretty severe. So maybe, maybe, there are inconsistencies in the way this headphone is being manufactured after all.
At the end of the day, I don't find the HD598's bass characteristics bad or unpleasant. In my experience, nothing on my HD598 can be described as such. It's just the way it is, the way I perceive it, or the way my unit has been made... Pick your poison.
Anywho, thanks for your respectful feedback. Really enjoy discussions like these. :)

I got mine for 100 EUR, it was an impulse buy on Black Friday deal and I never would have paid more at that time, although later next year I paid 150 for the MDR-1A, to use it outside :) But regardless of the price I find nothing wrong with HD598SE materials and build. I don't feel the need of metal in the headband or anywhere else. I take it out of the headphones drawer, I use it at my PC, I put it back. I can understand the need of tougher materials for some headphones or products but not the case with the HD598 for me.

I use them with my PC's on-board Realtek ALC888 sound and as I said the bass is perfect, the clarity in the mids and highs is very good, I don't feel the need for more in the DAC / amp department.
I tested my HD598 with CIAudio VHP-2 and VAC-1, Revelation Audio Parable CryoSilver Reference cable, and NAD C565BEE CD/DAC. This rig is what my friend uses with his HD650. What can I say... I think I heard a tiny difference and better, rounder sound but I cannot decide if it was expectancy bias or it really sounded better. So I am satisfied with just my PC.

It is true that when I switch to my rockboxed iPod classic the sound is less dynamic and bass suffers and it is true that MDR-1A has more bass, maybe too much sometimes, but I find the HD598 with my PC just perfect for my taste, the sound is round, ballanced and detailed in every department. Maybe as you say in your review sometimes too much edge and a bit of harshness in the vocals with poorly produced music, and then I aply a EQ shelving of -2db  from 1.8 Khz up on foobar and everything smoothens out.

Your review is really good and reflects what I said before: everyone hears differently, has different expectations regarding sound or build quality and the best way to decide is to test the headphone for yourself.

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #6,484 of 7,535
Quote:
  Your review is really good and reflects what I said before: everyone hears differently, has different expectations regarding sound or build quality and the best way to decide is to test the headphone for yourself.

Thanks for the compliment, and couldn't agree more with your sentiment. :)
We're all in on this hobby practically centred around subjectivity. Not to mention that at the end of the day, we can waffle on about all the gear in the world, but it's really the music that counts.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #6,485 of 7,535
I discovered something interesting with Hd 598 and HA-2. I had the senns for about an year and you can say that the burn in period was more than ended. The HA-2 DAC/AMP acquired just a month ago. After plunging in the HD 598 into HA-2 there was a noticeable improvement. Still only after I went to bass test on tidal and raised the volume on maximum on high grain with bass boost, I really opened the cans. The audition of the bass test was for about 6 minutes, not more, but the improvement was significant. Even when I plugged in the phone, the bass was much stronger with stronger punch. That was quite a surprise. Can someone explain what happened?

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #6,486 of 7,535
I discovered something interesting with Hd 598 and HA-2. I had the senns for about an year and you can say that the burn in period was more than ended. The HA-2 DAC/AMP acquired just a month ago. After plunging in the HD 598 into HA-2 there was a noticeable improvement. Still only after I went to bass test on tidal and raised the volume on maximum on high grain with bass boost, I really opened the cans. The audition of the bass test was for about 6 minutes, not more, but the improvement was significant. Even when I plugged in the phone, the bass was much stronger with stronger punch. That was quite a surprise. Can someone explain what happened?

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #6,487 of 7,535
I had a similar experience with my HD439. I accidentally left them plugged in to my dac/amp and then cranked the computer volume to max while using the speakers for a party (digital out of dac feeds my a/v receiver). 5 hours later I turned off the receiver to discover the headphones blasting. I was certain that the drivers would be rattling but they've never sounded better! The bass extension is better and overall sounds smoother and more effortless. I haven't been able to bring myself to do it on purpose with any others. Especially 598 or Momentum.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #6,488 of 7,535
I just upgraded my DAC on my computer setup where I use my HD598SE's.  I had an original Schiit Modi DAC receiving it's USB signal from my iMac (running iTunes AIFF 16/44.1) and never considered the bass insufficient.  I upgraded my DAC to the new Schiit Modi Multibit and this DAC not only resulted in an overall improvement in sound, the bass became more detailed and musical.  Plenty of bass for my liking, not that it was lacking with the original Modi.  Finding it hard to understand people's complaints that the HD598SE lacks bass, maybe in the sub-bass region but then this headphone never claimed to be bass cannons.

I ended up moving the Modi MB to another headphone system and moving the Schiit Bifrost 4490 to my iMac headphone setup.  Having done comparative listening sessions between the Bifrost 4490 and my Bifrost Multibit, I feel the bass is a bit more authoritative on the 4490 but lacks in detail retrieval (slightly) that the MB is capable of.  With the Bifrost 4490 being amped with the Schiit Magni 2U I have to say the HD598SE sounds very very good from top to bottom.  Bass is very satisfying to me, nice punch.  No complaints!

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #6,489 of 7,535
I also noticed the improvement in the bass department after I paired up Fiio X1 with Fiio K5. I can't say the combination had a lack of bass, only on some certain recordings, but now it became a bit more powerful, punchier and prominent. 

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #6,491 of 7,535
Sennheiser just announced new HD500 headphones, looks like the venerable HD598 is finally getting replaced:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818931/sennheiser-debuts-a-bunch-of-new-headphones-at-ifa
Not sure If I'm lucky or unlucky to have just sold my own HD598, we'll have to see how good the new HD599 is. On the upside, HD598's are probably going to go for lower prices used than ever, so for those who were previously on the fence, in a few weeks/months would be a good time to take the plunge if you want. Good condition used for less than US $100 is a more than fair price to pay. New under US $100 would be a steal. I personally would be passively looking out for HD558's and HD518's, those may go for some really decent prices, and are both very comparable in sound quality to the HD598.

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #6,492 of 7,535
  Sennheiser just announced new HD500 headphones, looks like the venerable HD598 is finally getting replaced:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818931/sennheiser-debuts-a-bunch-of-new-headphones-at-ifa
Not sure If I'm lucky or unlucky to have just sold my own HD598, we'll have to see how good the new HD599 is. On the upside, HD598's are probably going to go for lower prices used than ever, so for those who were previously on the fence, in a few weeks/months would be a good time to take the plunge if you want. Good condition used for less than US $100 is a more than fair price to pay. New under US $100 would be a steal. I personally would be passively looking out for HD558's and HD518's, those may go for some really decent prices, and are both very comparable in sound quality to the HD598.

When did they revamp the 400 series?  That could be an indication as when we might see the 600 series revamped (400 -> 500 -> 600).

I'm planning on buying a set of HD600's towards the end of this year; wondering now if I should hold-off...
(I was also considering the HD598's, but decided to pony-up for the HD600's instead.  Who knows though - that could change depending on peoples' impressions of the new HD599).

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #6,493 of 7,535
Would any of you HD598-owners be kind enough to lend a hand to a new Head-fier, please?:

www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/819230

beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #6,494 of 7,535
Hello everyone, I got a pair of hd 598s a few months ago. Now i would like to get a dac for it (if it makes an appreciable difference). I read through some other threads and I noticed that people recommend the Fiio E10K which seems excellent. But there's a huge impedance spike for the 598s,so keeping that in mind, is the Fiio E10k enough to drive them to their best?

Also, the Fiio has an output impedance around 1 ohm and my phone has output impedance of 2.5 ohms (oneplus one). As I understand it the hd 598s will benefit from as low an impedance as possible. They are plenty loud, but would the sound quality difference be appreciable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back