Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #4,696 of 7,535

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet.
If you can really, truly "...pull another year..." without upgrading, you are far more disciplined than 99.9% of the rest of us. 
beerchug.gif

Congrats on your new 'phones and E10K.

Lol!

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #4,697 of 7,535

It goes for much cheaper nowadays. Is there any other place in India that you can get it from? I know there's taxes and shipping and such but $250 is a lot.

Here's the latest price on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427005931&sr=8-1&keywords=HD598

It used to retail for about 250-ish but now hovers around $140-160

Thank you for your reply. So far i have checked, all the retails shops in my place and few trust able online retailers price 220 to 250 dollars for this model. I am just hoping that the price will drop in few days/months. Currently using sennheiser hd 439 and wanted to go for a upgrade.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #4,698 of 7,535
It was 132 a few days ago on amazon, I almost got it.

Has anyone compared the 598 to the fidelity x2??? Wanting an open set with large soundstage and some high end air and sparkle that can be played with an iPhone for around the house.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #4,701 of 7,535
The 598's have probably the best price to performance ratio out there. These are currently going for $155 on Amazon - brand new. That is an incredible price for these. I paid almost twice that and still couldn't be happier. They been treating me very well the past 2 years.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #4,702 of 7,535

I believe when the 598's first came out, they began at $250 USD? So you can definitely find them cheaper elsewhere, like Amazon. But, in all honesty, if you can't find them cheaper, I think you would still be very satisfied after paying 250. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #4,703 of 7,535
It is awesome! I bought them like new on Ebay for like $130 and had a friend of mine from the states bring them over when she came to visit. Not everyone has these great prices though, here they would cost around $275 new :)

At the same time these low prices can make a product feel "cheap". Prices have so much to do with people forming opinions. If you told some people you payed $400 for them, they'd be like "wow" just putting them on their head.

It reaches a point in the end where sometimes your rig is valued by the amount of money you spent on it. Although it's a common trend now days to get the best deals from lots of different (mainly Chinese) smaller companies.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #4,704 of 7,535
HD598 for $100 during last Black Friday was one of the best deals on headphones last year. That and $325 for B-stock HD700 directly from Sennheiser. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #4,706 of 7,535

Wow! 100?! That's the best deal I've ever seen, i would have purchased a couple pairs! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Some did. There was a limit of 2 for that sale though. I almost bought a 2nd pair just to stock up on them for gifts, but was out of money from buying other gifts, HD700, and DAC+amp for HD700.

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #4,707 of 7,535
I'd just like to chime in that I've been getting back into my 598s recently.  I'm really loving how they sound from the headphone out of my old Arcam Alpha 8 integrated amp.  I thought there was a slightly bloatedness to the bass on some tracks and have added a 75ohm impedence adapter to it now and that has really tightened up the bass.  There is no lack of bass to my ears throught this amp.  In fact, there is more than enough and on some tracks, it may even border on slightly too much.  Everything is stepped up a gear, especially dynamics and presence.  My 598s somewhat lose their tendency to politeness when driven like this, much more so than unamped or through my smaller, portable amps.  The soundstage is shockingly good and the whole sound picture impressive, open engaging and ravishing!

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #4,708 of 7,535
  I'd just like to chime in that I've been getting back into my 598s recently.  I'm really loving how they sound from the headphone out of my old Arcam Alpha 8 integrated amp.  I thought there was a slightly bloatedness to the bass on some tracks and have added a 75ohm impedence adapter to it now and that has really tightened up the bass.  There is no lack of bass to my ears throught this amp.  In fact, there is more than enough and on some tracks, it may even border on slightly too much.  Everything is stepped up a gear, especially dynamics and presence.  My 598s somewhat lose their tendency to politeness when driven like this, much more so than unamped or through my smaller, portable amps.  The soundstage is shockingly good and the whole sound picture impressive, open engaging and ravishing!

It's cool that you can still appreciate them having a lot of other more technically able and expensive headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back