Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #4,427 of 7,535

I've been using 598s with Schiit Asgaard for about a year, and if there is solid bass in the recording you will hear it exactly as intended.  What I like about these cans is that you can hear the bass runs (notes) clearly, unlike some "bass" cans where you mostly hear bass mud.  These are the most authentic, accurate cans I have owned and they sound beautiful with SACD , DVD-A or other hi-res recordings, as well as with well-mixed CDs - but again, you will hear exactly what was recorded (and how it was recorded).

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #4,428 of 7,535

I've been using 598s with Schiit Asgaard for about a year, and if there is solid bass in the recording you will hear it exactly as intended.  What I like about these cans is that you can hear the bass runs (notes) clearly, unlike some "bass" cans where you mostly hear bass mud.  These are the most authentic, accurate cans I have owned and they sound beautiful with SACD , DVD-A or other hi-res recordings, as well as with well-mixed CDs - but again, you will hear exactly what was recorded (and how it was recorded).

Yep! This amp has given me a whole new appreciation for these cans. I was listening to some Iced Earth the other day and I was hearing bass lines I'd never heard before. It's been the case with a lot of metal I listen to. Metal Church, Myrath, Savatage, Nightwish, I can hear the bass playing which you generally NEVER hear.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #4,429 of 7,535

Yep! This amp has given me a whole new appreciation for these cans. I was listening to some Iced Earth the other day and I was hearing bass lines I'd never heard before. It's been the case with a lot of metal I listen to. Metal Church, Myrath, Savatage, Nightwish, I can hear the bass playing which you generally NEVER hear.

Sort of an interesting progression of bass resolution that I find as I listen to better and better systems:

• You can hear the bass line, even down to the lowest note on the piano (27.5 Hz);
  • You can distinguish the pitch of adjacent bass notes, so that you could replay or transcribe the bass passage;
  • You can hear the timbre of the bass note, so as to be able to distinguish a bass guitar from a bass viol, etc.

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #4,430 of 7,535

Sort of an interesting progression of bass resolution that I find as I listen to better and better systems:

• You can hear the bass line, even down to the lowest note on the piano (27.5 Hz);
  • You can distinguish the pitch of adjacent bass notes, so that you could replay or transcribe the bass passage;
  • You can hear the timbre of the bass note, so as to be able to distinguish a bass guitar from a bass viol, etc.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q=Iced+Earth+Dracula

Listen to the beginning of this song. They use a fretless bass and while it's pretty easy to hear, it's...so...freaking...good

Beware your ears at 1:38, it gets intense fast.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4,433 of 7,535

I've been using 598s with Schiit Asgaard for about a year, and if there is solid bass in the recording you will hear it exactly as intended.  

Quote:

Yes! Although the HD598 don't need a lot of amping I honestly would highly recommend pairing them with a high quality amp to bring the bass to the next level. The bass goes from punchy to solid and becomes addicting because of how accurate yet powerful it becomes. Going to +1 on both quotes. 

At first, I didn't like how any Metal sounded with the HD598, but after upgrading my amp and 200+ hours of use there was a paradigm shift. While my initial impression was that these headphones performed admirably, they were lacking some energy and the bass was too dry for me to use them for listening to Metal. Now I am going back and rediscovering some Metal goodness, especially some of the faster stuff like Power Metal and Thrash. Symphonic always sounded pretty good, but I can now listen to Nightwish again without having to cringe at Taro's BOOMY bass; now it is superbly Thunderous! And Megadeth, oooh yeah! David's bass has never sounded so bloody good.

Rock on Brothers!! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #4,434 of 7,535
Jan 25, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #4,435 of 7,535
I'm more and more tempted with getting a better amp for these. I currently use them with ibasso DX50 and really like the sound but if there's more to be heard, I'll gladly pay about 200$ for that pleasure :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #4,436 of 7,535
I feel that these don't sound bad with anything although to me they are a bit too smooth for me to be considered "all rounders". They sound better with the continuous sounds demonstrated in classical/epic/symphonic/score/ambient as opposed to the more stop and go sounding rock/metal/pop/rap. 

I haven't tried these with a proper desktop amp (don't have one) but out of the HPO of my DX90 they can sometimes even rumble with bass depending on the track.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #4,437 of 7,535
  I'm more and more tempted with getting a better amp for these. I currently use them with ibasso DX50 and really like the sound but if there's more to be heard, I'll gladly pay about 200$ for that pleasure :)

It's early days yet with my HD598s and Schiit Vali headphone amp. But, I'm very pleased so far.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #4,438 of 7,535
The only problem with these is they aren't fast enough for stuff with faster bass hits. Get into some metal and these start distorting out. However all the bonuses of these far outweigh a few bands they don't handle well.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #4,439 of 7,535

I'm not sure a better amp will get you better sound. These headphones are fairly easy to drive. The sound you get out of a decent/average amp/dac is probably the best you can get. I think the $200 would be better spent on better headphones.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #4,440 of 7,535

There's more mid-bass to be heard but I think that's about it.

I kind of get freaked out sometimes when music just suddenly starts playing. The earpads don't touch my ears at all and I thought music was coming from my speakers. They definitely sound the most distant compared to the rest of my headphone collection but still retain headphone intimacy qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back