Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #3,331 of 7,535
Greatest.
Deal.
Ever.

[COLOR=444444]http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-HD598-Trend-mp3-mp4-earphones-computer-headset/1137171452.html?s=p[/COLOR]

[COLOR=444444]You're welcome.. lol[/COLOR]

Wow. I wonder what you'll actually get.

Lol, they used stock pictures of Sennheiser HD598 and the box, too, but photoshopped out the Sennheiser logo on top of the headband, and blocked out the Sennheiser name from the image of the box. Hilariously, they did not blot out the Sennheiser name on the very top of the box, which is legible but hard to see because of the angle.

So you are buying a set of HD598, just not Sennheiser HD598.

Has anybody actually purchased these? I'm actually tempted to try it at $25 just for yuks. I really wonder what you'll end up getting.

Don't hold your breath, though. I do try to avoid wasting money.

Oh, and I don't recall the HD598 ever having the ability to fold, as stated in the product description.

Also, a user review from Aliexpress website:

Alexey M.
Free shipping HD598 - Trend mp3 mp4...
US $12.00 x 1 piece
30 Jan 2014 04:14
headphones is very different from the original. but for the money it is a great product. I liked
Is this feedback helpful for you?Yes (1)No (0)

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #3,333 of 7,535
As a growing number of others, I too have ordered and received the iPhone-sized cable for the HD 598. The cable causes me to actually put the headphones to regular use, rather than reverently placing them upon a figurative altar, worshiping them, but never touching them (other than for brief demos) as I was for the last two years!

Use a pocket music player? Have HD 598 headphones? Then GET the $12.50 plus $6.50 shipping 5x8 4.5 ft, 3.5 mm jack cable. Counter all those Beats wearers on the street by wearing your 598s and starting your own trend!

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #3,334 of 7,535
Wow. I wonder what you'll actually get.

Lol, they used stock pictures of Sennheiser HD598 and the box, too, but photoshopped out the Sennheiser logo on top of the headband, and blocked out the Sennheiser name from the image of the box. Hilariously, they did not blot out the Sennheiser name on the very top of the box, which is legible but hard to see because of the angle.

So you are buying a set of HD598, just not Sennheiser HD598.

Has anybody actually purchased these? I'm actually tempted to try it at $25 just for yuks. I really wonder what you'll end up getting.

Don't hold your breath, though. I do try to avoid wasting money.

Oh, and I don't recall the HD598 ever having the ability to fold, as stated in the product description.

Also, a user review from Aliexpress website:

Alexey M.
Free shipping HD598 - Trend mp3 mp4...
US $12.00 x 1 piece
30 Jan 2014 04:14
headphones is very different from the original. but for the money it is a great product. I liked
Is this feedback helpful for you?Yes (1)No (0)

I've seen fakes before for around that price. I tried it and well I must say it is not bad for the price.

(but lol at them marketing it as bass and folding headphones)

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #3,335 of 7,535

I feel the same way. Proper damping is key to tight controlled and articulate bass. Its why I love the HD 800.

The point I was making is simply that amplifier output impedance isn't the only way to control driver excursion. With some headphones, the impedance damping factor is irrelevant.

Up until this point, all I knew was that for some higher impedance headphones I need a headphone amp.  Now I feel like my amp DICTATES what headphones I can get.  And I can only properly get a pair in theory that matches good to my source.  Now, I know there are more options out there that in theory are good matches but I feel strapped by my amp!

So in the end, it seems that even though the HD598 will kind of work with my 220 OHMs output amp, I should really look for a pair of headphones that has a higher impedance.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #3,336 of 7,535

If your SR-60 sounds good plugged into the headphone jack of your amp, then there is no problem.

StanD's comment about risk to your headphones pertains to the speaker taps. This means that you have a cable with four wires on one end and a headphone plug on the other. You are literally hooking your headphones up to the speaker terminals on the rear of the amp. This means that you can go from zero volume to earsplitting volume with one detent on your volume knob. You will never want to do this with a pair of Grado's.

The 220 ohm comment StanD made above applies to the headphone jack on the front of your amp. There is little risk of damaging your headphones this way. The only issue is that with a low damping factor (220/32), the bass may sound muddy or looser than normal. Some people really like this sound so its not a "problem" per se.

If I do a reverse calculation using the 1/8 rule, with the amp output being 220 Ohms....in theory my headphones should be at 1,760ohms then????!!!!   :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #3,338 of 7,535
Do you like how the HD 598 sounds from your amp?

I assume you're asking me this question.  :)

I wouldn't know yet because I haven't bought it yet.  But I am afraid of getting them and then finding out ultimately, they don't match my amp output. 

Again, my Grados SR-60i (32 Ohms I think) sounded fine with my current amp which has 220 Ohms output from the headphone jack.  "Fine" to me anyways.....don't hear any problems.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #3,339 of 7,535

If I do a reverse calculation using the 1/8 rule, with the amp output being 220 Ohms....in theory my headphones should be at 1,760ohms then????!!!!   :)

Sounds like a custom order from Sennheiser, 
biggrin.gif
 Like I said, it will not yield good results. This can be solved by using an L-PAD off the speaker taps. Personally I prefer a proper headphone amp.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #3,340 of 7,535

I assume you're asking me this question.  :)

I wouldn't know yet because I haven't bought it yet.  But I am afraid of getting them and then finding out ultimately, they don't match my amp output. 

Again, my Grados SR-60i (32 Ohms I think) sounded fine with my current amp which has 220 Ohms output from the headphone jack.  "Fine" to me anyways.....don't hear any problems.

Maybe this will make it easier...

A high amplifier output impedance results in a bigger voltage drop with lower impedance loads. In other words, the higher the output impedance of the amp, the more the impedance curve of the headphone will mimic the frequency response of the headphone.

In the chart above, you can see why the Grado SR-60 is not really affected by a high output impedance amp as much as the Sennheiser HD 598. With a high output impedance amp, that big rise in impedance at 90 Hz will result in a corresponding increase in bass response. Bass will be greatly exaggerated.

So in general, an amplifier with a 220 ohm output impedance is not a good choice for the HD 598, with the caveat that some people like the added bass and warmth that results from the voltage fluctuation.

So if you are really in love with the HD 598, you can either use a different source or find another headphone with a similar sound signature that has a more stable impedance.

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #3,341 of 7,535

Maybe this will make it easier...

A high amplifier output impedance results in a bigger voltage drop with lower impedance loads. In other words, the higher the output impedance of the amp, the more the impedance curve of the headphone will mimic the frequency response of the headphone.

In the chart above, you can see why the Grado SR-60 is not really affected by a high output impedance amp as much as the Sennheiser HD 598. With a high output impedance amp, that big rise in impedance at 90 Hz will result in a corresponding increase in bass response. Bass will be greatly exaggerated.

So in general, an amplifier with a 220 ohm output impedance is not a good choice for the HD 598, with the caveat that some people like the added bass and warmth that results from the voltage fluctuation.

So if you are really in love with the HD 598, you can either use a different source or find another headphone with a similar sound signature that has a more stable impedance.

Two questions then, if I get a headphone amp, I am assuming that I would have to find something that matches the HD598 by looking at the output specs?  I am guessing that there are headphone amps out there that I can change or have different output settings?

Second question is, any suggestions for a different pair of headphones with similar sound but would work much better with my amp?

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #3,342 of 7,535
Most modern headphones are not going to play nicely with your NAD unfortunately. One easy and inexpensive solution is to get a speaker tap "box" like StanD has described. Another option would be to buy an inexpensive amp like the Objective2 or Schiit Magni and run the tape monitor output from your NAD to the headphone amp input. Both of those amps have a near-zero output impedance and will not affect the freq response of the headphone.

Maybe others can chime in on alternative headphone options, but in my experience, there is no better headphone under $200 than the Sennheiser HD 598/558. If you can get a deal, maybe the AKG K701 or Shure SRH940. There might be an Audio Technica inthat price range too.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #3,343 of 7,535
Most modern headphones are not going to play nicely with your NAD unfortunately. One easy and inexpensive solution is to get a speaker tap "box" like StanD has described. Another option would be to buy an inexpensive amp like the Objective2 or Schiit Magni and run the tape monitor output from your NAD to the headphone amp input. Both of those amps have a near-zero output impedance and will not affect the freq response of the headphone.

Maybe others can chime in on alternative headphone options, but in my experience, there is no better headphone under $200 than the Sennheiser HD 598/558. If you can get a deal, maybe the AKG K701 or Shure SRH940. There might be an Audio Technica inthat price range too.

+1
Another portable amp is the FiiO E12.
The HD5x8 series are easy to amp. One shouldn't need a gigawatt flux capacitor.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #3,345 of 7,535
Also, has anyone tried the Audio Dragonfly thumb drive amp/DAC with the HD 598's? I've heard they produce tremendous sound for such a little thing, and on Amazon they're currently priced for around $100! A steal to be sure, but I would like to know how they perform with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back