Sennheiser HD 380?
Oct 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #16 of 43
Have gotten a pair of HD380's and really like them. There are only two things about them that really annoy me, the pleather pads and the coiled cord. Fortunately both of these are easily fixed. Both the velour pads and straight cable from the HD595 fit as if they were made to do so.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwprange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have gotten a pair of HD380's and really like them. There are only two things about them that really annoy me, the pleather pads and the coiled cord. Fortunately both of these are easily fixed. Both the velour pads and straight cable from the HD595 fit as if they were made to do so.

You can also use the Japanese Leatherette pads found on the PXC 450, which will not impact the sound as much as velour pads, while INCREASING comfort and seal (the bass may tighten up for you, in a good way)

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwprange /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to agree, after only a couple of days with my new HD380 Pro's. I find the heavy, coiled, stock cable incredibly annoying, as whatever I do it finds a way to sag, bounce, bang or rub against things, which causes quite a lot of noise in my left ear - the cable is very microphonic. Honestly it makes me wonder whether anyone at Sennheiser ever tried them out before release!

The pleather hasn't bothered me yet, but then I'm used to my M-Audio Studiophile Q40's - which I would love if it weren't for the ridiculously overblown low end. Studiophile my arse! lol

So anyway, where did you find the replacement HD595 cable? I've searched high and low but, alas, I cannot find one for sale anywhere.
I suppose you're in the States though :frowning2:

In the meantime I've emailed Sennheiser UK to complain and ask if they'll send me something that will save me from returning the HD380's in favour of a Beyer product (DT770 Pro)... We'll see.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #20 of 43
Well I found an HD 595 cable and it's nothing like the cable on the HD 380 Pro.
The 595 cable has 2 interior connectors, and the HD 380 Pro cable has a special shaped, right-angled 2.5mm jack plug. Am I missing something here mwprange?

Anyway it doesn't appear that there's a compatible straight cable in the Sennheiser range, so I guess I'll either have to go 3rd party, custom, or just put up with the coiled cable.

Still no response from Sennheiser UK's so-called 'customer support' either.
Hrumph.

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #21 of 43
Is it a step up from the HD 280 in sound, comfort and durability?

If so, I'll be very tempted to buy one for 130 euros in The Hague.

The DT250 is more expensive and the MDR V6 is plain old. This is a hard one to resist.

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it a step up from the HD 280 in sound, comfort and durability?

If so, I'll be very tempted to buy one for 130 euros in The Hague.

The DT250 is more expensive and the MDR V6 is plain old. This is a hard one to resist.

130 Euro for the HD380 seems much too much to me.
I owned them, and returned them.
They have a very weird sound, especially in the highs.
And if you have a big head, they wil clamp painfully.
The best thing about them is, that there is no sibilance, which the DT770 80 ohm has (plus an overbearing bass).

Oh, and there once was a Headfi-er, who initially found the HD380 better than the HD280, but changed has mind in favor of the HD280.
Sadly he was banned, and so was his thread about the HD280 vs HD380 with a lot of helpful information.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the hd380 some sort of secret headphone that no one is allowed to bash? I find that weird

The reviews that you read above are kind of mixed on the headphones. I do not see anything weird about that. I do not think it is the most popular or talk about headphones, so what is your point?

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #25 of 43
I was talking about the deleted posts of the guy tiemen was talking about and also the fact that Jude backed out from reviewing them after creating a thread saying he was gonna do so is very unusual.

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was talking about the deleted posts of the guy tiemen was talking about and also the fact that Jude backed out from reviewing them after creating a thread saying he was gonna do so is very unusual.

Not only his posts, but the complete thread with useful information is deleted.
But we are not allowed to discuss this.
By the way, in that thread were some really negative comments, including mine.
HD380 is a terrible sounding headphone.
Even Tyll Hertsens of HeadRoom thinks they suck.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #28 of 43
bwahahaha ok lets give the 380s a rest then. May it rest in peace
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #30 of 43
The Sennheiser HD380s really have a slimmer profile than with the DT770.  Comfort is rather good even after long listening sessions.  Much better than my older HD280s.  So far after owning the HD380s for a little more than a year, the build quality is still very good.  No creaks or cracks.

Thanks for the review and have a great weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back