sennheiser HD-25 good for noob?
Jul 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #91 of 110
those senn's look amazing. and i thought the adidas version were amazing
blink.gif
 i was looking at the sony xb700's. they look sooooooo comfy!
biggrin.gif
 any previous experiences with them?

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #93 of 110
Guys, I had a near- apocalypse experience today.I live in a small town, so when I get to go to best buy it is a treat. I try on every headphone and compare them to my beloved hd-25's. However, today was different. I came across a pair of beats solo hd, and I thought "what the heck, let's see these get blown out of the water by my own pair of cans." I started playing my usual hip hop playlist, and I placed the beats on my head with low expectations. However, when the bass line started on the first song, it was like taking a breath of air after being held underwater for five minutes. Beautiful! I was convinced to buy them right there and then. But then I remembered all of your guy's advice for the sennheisers! I went back to the guitar section, knowing that the helper would know his way around audio equipment. He explained to me that the beats' attractive bass is totally FAKE! I cannot stand to listen to falsehoods!!! I am now convinced I need a portable amp to increase the bass on my sennheisers while keeping the bass line real. So I just need to thank all of you and was hoping for suggestions on bass enhancing portable amps

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #94 of 110
I tried my mate's Beats Solo with an open mind as I do think they look kind of cool, but there really wasn't anything good about the sound to my ears. Not even the bass. When he asked what I thought, I said "yeah they are good" as I did not want to get into an argument.

Cool story bro I know, but I was sort of hoping for something to impress me. This was driving them out of my Headstage Arrow too, not some display stand in a shop.

As for amps, the bass boost on the Arrow is excellent and setting 1 gives the HD25s all the thump you'd ever want. Setting 2 is just too much. That "ZO personal subwoofer" looks interesting too.

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #95 of 110
1. Yes. There's a LARGE difference. Even with M50s, there's a large difference between those and HD25s. You can for sure tell the difference between the HD25 and Beats / SK / Bose / etc. Note that M50s were my first, HD25s second (for portability at least). I compared M50s side-by-side w/ all 3 versions of the Beats at Bestbuy and the one that sounded the closest were the.. metal ones (Pros?) and even then M50s sounded better.

2. No. Just ~$80 (depending where you buy it) more for looks.

3. Probably yes. Looking at the portable thread, top two were M50s and HD25s, and I first chose the M50s, and now have the HD25s and loving it :). M50s were great too, but were a bit of a hassle to use in public cause of the large size + made my ears sweat.

About the bass: IMO, I could not hear M50's bass at all w/o boosting it w/ an amp (using an E5 amp only too). Was way too small for me.

HD25 is largely present, but I have no idea what the terms are. I do know for sure that M50s can create lower frequencies far better than HD25s though. Talking about the deep rumbles (like 20hz~40hz or something, I dont know).

About HD25s needing an amp: IMO, they don't. I haven't tried a like 200+ portable amp yet, but they already sound better to me than M50s w/o an amp. Plus w/ an amp it just makes the portability more inconvenient. Using an E5 only, it was annoying as hell taking my phone in and out of my pocket and I don't even bother to use it anymore. Using an E7, didn't even bother to take my phone out and just left it on the same track. IMO amps are only for like the hardcore people as I'm pretty sure many new comers won't notice the difference well enough to justify the price. Then again I've never used a portable amp besides an E7 which apparently isn't much better than an E5 :). Bass wise, no idea for amps.

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #96 of 110
Jul 23, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #97 of 110
HD25 not enough bass? 
blink.gif
  You're using the leatherette pads, right?  If not, do so.
Just don't kill your ears, lol.

Quote:
1. Yes. There's a LARGE difference. Even with M50s, there's a large difference between those and HD25s. You can for sure tell the difference between the HD25 and Beats / SK / Bose / etc. Note that M50s were my first, HD25s second (for portability at least). I compared M50s side-by-side w/ all 3 versions of the Beats at Bestbuy and the one that sounded the closest were the.. metal ones (Pros?) and even then M50s sounded better.

2. No. Just ~$80 (depending where you buy it) more for looks.

3. Probably yes. Looking at the portable thread, top two were M50s and HD25s, and I first chose the M50s, and now have the HD25s and loving it :). M50s were great too, but were a bit of a hassle to use in public cause of the large size + made my ears sweat.

About the bass: IMO, I could not hear M50's bass at all w/o boosting it w/ an amp (using an E5 amp only too). Was way too small for me.

HD25 is largely present, but I have no idea what the terms are. I do know for sure that M50s can create lower frequencies far better than HD25s though. Talking about the deep rumbles (like 20hz~40hz or something, I dont know).

About HD25s needing an amp: IMO, they don't. I haven't tried a like 200+ portable amp yet, but they already sound better to me than M50s w/o an amp. Plus w/ an amp it just makes the portability more inconvenient. Using an E5 only, it was annoying as hell taking my phone in and out of my pocket and I don't even bother to use it anymore. Using an E7, didn't even bother to take my phone out and just left it on the same track. IMO amps are only for like the hardcore people as I'm pretty sure many new comers won't notice the difference well enough to justify the price. Then again I've never used a portable amp besides an E7 which apparently isn't much better than an E5 :). Bass wise, no idea for amps.

E5/E7 is a joke of an amp.  Grab an iBasso, UHA amp, Stepdance, or Minibox-ES if you want to know what more HD25 can be. 
evil_smiley.gif

Or you can stay ampless, that headphone is very, very efficient anyway.

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #98 of 110
no the HD25 doesnt lack bass and i am not and basshead i just like to feel it a bit more than the stock sound. and i cant speak for the e5/e7 but the e11 is made decently well, not as well as an ibasso but its not as expensive either and it way worth the 70 bucks for it.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #100 of 110
Never tried it.  I'd build one, but I doubt I will prefer it over my Minibox-E+ from what I've read.  The Minibox is lower profile to boot.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #103 of 110

Quote:
HD25 not enough bass? 
blink.gif
  You're using the leatherette pads, right?  If not, do so.
Just don't kill your ears, lol.

E5/E7 is a joke of an amp.  Grab an iBasso, UHA amp, Stepdance, or Minibox-ES if you want to know what more HD25 can be. 
evil_smiley.gif

Or you can stay ampless, that headphone is very, very efficient anyway.

No money :). Now using an E11, more convenient (surprisingly) compared to the E5. I just used the E5 for a bass boost. Also using velours + E11 now, bass still has its rumble. I hate pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back