Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Dec 7, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #1,306 of 1,519
Question about the audio quality?

I just got a GSX1000 and I don’t like it.

At all it sounds so incredibly horribly bad

I am listening on these cans:
DT990
Hd555
SHP9500
Fidelio M2BT
It is hard to determine which cans it can drive when the sound is so off. But dt990 can’t go very high in volume and the bass is very subdued.

It sounds like a good HiFi system playing in a shipping container. That kind of sound but not as bad as that would sound in reality :)

The highs are too high the mid tones are muffled and the bass sounds kind of blurry.

There is positional audio in Destiny 2 but in Division it just lowers the treble on the back channel.

If you guys like it then I must be doing something wrong? Or maybe I am just an ungrateful person who doesn’t appreciate positional audio when I get it :)

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,309 of 1,519
Maybe someone could give a description of yours sound like. Maybe it is just me who has never heard VSS and I just like the simple clarity of stereo. Do you have the same clarity as when you listen in stereo? Are there reverb, is it a little more muffled than in 2.0?

I could be a snob and not know it:)

Maybe my demands are totally ridiculous - how would I know

Dec 22, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #1,310 of 1,519
Well you will all laugh. But I bought the gsx 1000 again. Couldn't take my onboard audio giving me performance problems even though it sounded great. Every thing from audio popping on resume to occassional hitching. So I ended up getting the sennheiser GSX again to use a usb sound card which previously gave me no issues when using power saving features on my board.

I STILL think it sounds very muffled. Still think it could use an eq setting between e-sport and normal. But the positional audio is still good. BFV fixed the glitch I was getting in bf1 with super loud enemy footsteps with my onboard so I no longer had that advantage. but the positional still sound good with sennheiser on bfv.

PROS: 1. Game zero headset sounds much more punchier and fuller sound.
2. Audio is more dynamic. greater diff between loud and soft sounds.
3. Good positional audio. Better then other 3rd party surround sound solutions.

CONS: 1. Lower sound quality. Sounds muffled and not as clear. I still think it possibly could be helped slightly by having another eq setting between e-sport and normal. Or a custom option. e-sport is a little too extreme.
2. Overpriced to the point of ridiculousness. This isnt' a full sound card. It has less features and lower sound quality. To charge so much for this thing is insulting. If I didn't have hardware problems that prompts the need for a usb card, or a sennheiser headset I loved, no way I'd be buying this. And I still wouldn't recommend it.

My current settings for bfv: Normal EQ, Front focused surround, 1 + reverb.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #1,312 of 1,519
BFV has an inbuilt VSS processing that sounds nice imho.

ya was trying to tell you guys that about bf1. but in bf1 with my sonic studio software and just the game itself. I would set windows to stereo, unlike gsx format, and put game to surround using sonic studio software. It was improper surround sound but provided a gaming advantage. Now they quieted them so much in bfv that people are complaining they can't hear them. but the natural surround sound is still awesome in this game imo. Haven't really tried the new 3d audio option in bfv but I told you they would remove the advantage because I spoke about it on these forums lmao... The directional sound on 7.1 with the gsx is very decent though.

Another big plus for me is that its a real clean static free, no pops, perfect sound. But is it worth 200 dollars? Only for me right now because I want to avoid audio pops and need as much cpu usage for gaming as I can. This usb system, WITH NO SOFTWARE, is a huge boost in gaming performance too. They should market that :)

oh man. really gives my game zeros a nice punch too. love the music in 7.1, with music eq and. no reverb. windows 10. btw windows 10 has really improved their surround sound since i bitched about them while back on these forums. its about time. Now I get the upmixing once again with windows media player again on my direct channel speaker set too when listening to music. get rear channels. Still can't get good surround native from google chrome though for some content you can, like youtube.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #1,313 of 1,519
BFV has an inbuilt VSS processing that sounds nice imho.

Just tried the "3d audio" setting in bfv. doesn't sound very good imo. better option for me I have to say again is to just put windows to stereo and putting bfv game to surround speaker setting while using my game zeros and asus rog sonic studio which sounds very good. But bfv is an exception. for other games without options but native 5.1/7.1 support gsx would be nice. like rpg's etc.

But... I will also admit the gsx has a slight edge on the quality of surround sound overall. meaning 3d positional audio, and prolly effects as well as heard the way more the game developers intended. Also way more dynamic sound, meaning everything doesn't sound at same volume. But at sacrifice of clarity. but you're not buying it for clarity. its for good 3d surround sound which it is the best at I ever tried so far. 200 dollars worth? prolly not lol. but it is better for gaming if you roll in the dough and does have a very clean sound. I still say big cans with a super wide soundstage make biggest difference though when looking for 3d audio.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,315 of 1,519
Battlefield 5 sounds amazing on my GSX 1000 with Philips Fidelio X2
I have Windows set to 7.1 with the GSX also on 7.1 and in game surround sound enabled.

yes it sounds more like developers intended then my strix realtenk onboard. wider and more dynamic sound. and punchier on my game zeros. I forgot how good the player character voices and sounds are with the gsx. You can even use things with ear buds and rear focus and hear good surround.. can use this and my external speakers at same time. better game performance then using my cpu intensive onboard and extra driver software. lots of pros I'm telling myself for the hefty jawdropping price.

Unlike in bf1, Now it also gives me actual game advantage with better positional surround. The sound in bfv is diff then it was in bf1. The footprints were purposely lowered, which unintended with the setup I was using. I told the forum they would do away with it now cause I said something. It was a huge advantage. The enemy footsteps were totally non dynamic. SO people using my setup could hear them from a mile away. lol.

So now i laugh listening to people in game complaining they can't hear footsteps in bfv, while I hear them real good with the gsx 1000 haha :)

definitely keeping it now. also bonus for when using games without any though to 3d headphones.

My settings for rpgs like witcher 3 and ESO are gamer zero: full reverb, movie eq and normal focus, 7.1

Music settings WMP game zero: no reverb, music eq, front focus. 7.1

FPS for most games settings bfv, titanfall 2, game zero. +1 reverb, normal eq, front focus, 7.1

Movies game zero netflix: No reverb, movie eq, normal or rear focus, 7.1

Netflix surround is not correct. Something wrong with it they refuse to fix it. like alot of other unrelated things I've reported to them in the past... They don't fix no bugs, and they can be vindictive. but theres not much else to use.

Music still again 7.1 I don't know how you guys can go back to stereo after doing anything in 7.1 Also because of this forums thank you again for starting this thread Shankly, Windows improved windows media player sound. Cause now I get full surround upscaled sound when listening to mp3s. on my external 5.1 speakers. just like I use to in windows 7. Stereo sounds horrible on this thing shut it off!

lots of people gaming too. lets take the internet back!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #1,316 of 1,519
I bought a GSX 1000 last week. I've tried it on 3 separate PC's. On my main gaming PC, adjusting the volume in-game causes a blank screen, then it briefly minimizes the game so the audio slider appears in the right upper corner, followed by 2 blank screens before the game reopens.

On my other 2 PC's, adjusting the volume works normally, with the audio slider overlaying the game briefly. No blank screens or minimizing of the game.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm on Windows 10 with updated gpu drivers and latest gsx firmware. It's a clean installation with only windows and a few games.

Dec 28, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #1,317 of 1,519
Could the other machines be in Fullscreen Windowed, while the main one is straight Fullscreen?

Dec 28, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #1,319 of 1,519
I use one with my rig and I'm always fullscreen when playing games, no issues thus far.
Also, shouldn't the audio slider be on the upper left?

You're correct. Slider is in upper left. I tried going back and forth between windowed fullscreen and fullscreen. I have to problem with both. I will move the affected PC to a different monitor to see if the problem persists. Right now, it is occurring on an Acer x27.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will report back since I seem to be the only person with this problem so far.

Dec 29, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,320 of 1,519
You're correct. Slider is in upper left. I tried going back and forth between windowed fullscreen and fullscreen. I have to problem with both. I will move the affected PC to a different monitor to see if the problem persists. Right now, it is occurring on an Acer x27.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will report back since I seem to be the only person with this problem so far.

Does GSX actually have upgradeable firmware? I couldn't find any where you get it?

For your problem have you tried setting it to windows game mode? disabled origin in game? update windows audio drivers?

I've experienced twice now where the gsx sounded like a staticky garbled echoing and I have had to unplug the usb and plug it back in after a full startup of the pc. Wonder if this one I got from Amazon and UPS got kicked around like a soccer ball?

Don't really like how the usb goes into back of gsx either. but my pc is on the floor and a pain to unplug it that way. but I might have to so I don't break the connection in back of gsx, which is very tight. sounding like a real hassle.

Right now I enabled legacy usb mode in bios and disabled selective usb suspend in windows power settings and will see what happens. I'm using windows 10.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back