Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Jan 2, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #1,336 of 1,519
ok well now I feel like a dummy. I didn't realize that there was actually a downloadable firmware update. I went to the page. but thought it was only for the surround dongle. I now realize if you download the firmware update tool. sennheiser-updater.exe from the surround dongle drop down menu. It will also update the gsx 1000.

Silly me, I kept looking at the drop down menu for the gsx 1000 section and only saw user manual downloads, and assumed there was only a firmware update for the surround dongle. DOH!. Indeed there is a fix for usb 3.0 support among other things on the gsx 1000. Thanks again for the heads up thewind32.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #1,337 of 1,519
Well now I have problem updating the firmware. I update the sennheiser updater to 3.7.7902. But after that I can't update the gsx 1000. It won't let me click on it. It shows there is a new version. but I can't click the checkbox to install it. Even after a reboot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sennheiser/comments/8hw2xg/gsx1200pro_help/ Here is a thread describing my issue. wow. I might be returning this thing once again. so not only does it fix the startup issue, but it improves the surround sound and I can't even install it. 200 dollars for this?

OH and look a sennheiser rep replied to that thread. And low and behold. He is suggesting to turn off some usb settings which is exactly what I was talking about. Looks Like I will be disabling asmedia 3.1 and checking for other settings.... Apparently sennheiser is blaming my motherboard.

I think this product has been a nightmare for sennheiser.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #1,338 of 1,519
Well now I realize the sennheiser rep might not of been replying to the OP. but someone else in the thread, who has same problems as me. Maybe indeed the firmware was pulled from the servers? I sent an email to sennheiser will see if they contact me before my 30 days are up. and this overpriced piece of hardware gets returned for a second time. WOW.

https://en-de.sennheiser.com/audio-amplifier-gsx-1000 no firmware downloadable on this page either. There is a technical option to manually install the firmware. But no way to get the file lol.

Maybe it was indeed pulled for being faulty? The program is pretty shoddily written. Took forever just to upgrade the updater.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #1,339 of 1,519
I just plugged my good old AKG K501 into the GSX1000. On 2 channel it sounds as expected like from all sources, on 7.1 also nothing is wrong here. Played some Wildlands just for you with this setup, I cannot confirm that all it sounds so incredibly horribly bad, not at all, so what is wrong with your setup?

I guess the best word is muffled and messy, but the more I think about it it might just be that I don’t like the attempt to make all the reflected sounds. I think my brain just can’t accept it as natural. What I do like is my big amp hooked up via tos link, and driving my DT990. It sounds clear and precise. When I was researching which sound card to buy I listened to videos of gameplay from the GSX1000 and liked it. Then I got my 990’s and SHP9500 and it changed my taste in audio. When I go back and listen to the same recordings I no longer like them. It was an expensive wa to find out my preferences

Jan 2, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #1,340 of 1,519
I guess the best word is muffled and messy, but the more I think about it it might just be that I don’t like the attempt to make all the reflected sounds. I think my brain just can’t accept it as natural. What I do like is my big amp hooked up via tos link, and driving my DT990. It sounds clear and precise. When I was researching which sound card to buy I listened to videos of gameplay from the GSX1000 and liked it. Then I got my 990’s and SHP9500 and it changed my taste in audio. When I go back and listen to the same recordings I no longer like them. It was an expensive wa to find out my preferences
There is one last thing that you can try. Connect the line in of your big amp to the headphone out of the GSX1000. Then you use the Sennheiser as Dac/preamp and still have your favorite Amp / headphone combo working. Only if you use the headphone out you can benefit from the Sennheisers surround virtualisation. For sure a lesser Dac than you are used to but if you only use it for gaming it might work for you.

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #1,342 of 1,519
hard to understand how u can't notice hdr mode I on and play non hdr games while it's on. it just mess up things and lower ur picture quality for non hdr games a lot. the color just not correct

I've read lots of people complaining about that. That hasn't been my experience with the 2 non-hdr games I've tried on the X27. But right now that monitor and PC are mainly a test station for me, which is why I was using it for the GSX 1000. My main gaming PCs are connected to an X34, an Asus 279q and an E6 OLED which is mainly used for Netflix and console gaming.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #1,343 of 1,519
Thanks for helping, always nice when strangers want to spend time on strangers :)

I did that because GSX1000 could not drive the DT990. It worsened it for me. I actually think the problem is my expectations. Positional audio can’t be as clean as “not positional” because of the sound reflecting. I think that is was is bothering me. Virtual 3D sound waves will always seem more complex, and I think, depending on ones perspective it can sound good (complex and full) or bad (messy and unclear) we actually never experience the actual sound waves that hit our eardrums. The sound waves hit our eardrums, gets translated into electricity, transported to the brain. The brain then tris to make sense of those sounds, both based on things like the left right discrepancies but also takes into account, our other senses.

Do I even makes sense here? I have never seen such big difference in user experience of a product. Either an LCD monitor is good or bad, some might go for TN for the refresh rate, but they agree that the viewing angles aren’t ideal. It is pretty fascinating how differently we can perceive the world.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #1,344 of 1,519
Thanks for helping, always nice when strangers want to spend time on strangers :)

I did that because GSX1000 could not drive the DT990. It worsened it for me. I actually think the problem is my expectations. Positional audio can’t be as clean as “not positional” because of the sound reflecting. I think that is was is bothering me. Virtual 3D sound waves will always seem more complex, and I think, depending on ones perspective it can sound good (complex and full) or bad (messy and unclear) we actually never experience the actual sound waves that hit our eardrums. The sound waves hit our eardrums, gets translated into electricity, transported to the brain. The brain then tris to make sense of those sounds, both based on things like the left right discrepancies but also takes into account, our other senses.

Do I even makes sense here? I have never seen such big difference in user experience of a product. Either an LCD monitor is good or bad, some might go for TN for the refresh rate, but they agree that the viewing angles aren’t ideal. It is pretty fascinating how differently we can perceive the world.

Yes you make perfect sense. Its all personal preference and probably an acquired taste.

Or it could just be quality control. I was gonna keep the gsx this time around. But now the fact I can't update the firmware to fix the bootup on usb3 or resume from suspend issues makes me think its cheap and overpriced again. And really disappointing since the changelog states it also improves 7.1 sound and mic quality, yet I am unable to install this update. As also others on reddit have stated IS that Apparently the updated firmware has been pulled from sennheisers servers cause some people were bricking their devices. There is apparently 3 diff firmware versions. Some people are even getting the latest one already on it from the factory. So now I feel like I am getting even more screwed then others.

They hide the update under the surround sound dongle menu instead of the gsx menu on their page. And they offer no option to directly download the firmware even though their shoddy program offers a manual selection feature.

The fact is people are on 3 diff firmware versions depending on where and when they bought it. and I assume with 3 diff 7.1 and mic sound qualities. That will definitely account for different user experiences!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #1,345 of 1,519
Yes you make perfect sense. Its all personal preference and probably an acquired taste.

Or it could just be quality control. I was gonna keep the gsx this time around. But now the fact I can't update the firmware to fix the bootup on usb3 or resume from suspend issues makes me think its cheap and overpriced again. And really disappointing since the changelog states it also improves 7.1 sound and mic quality, yet I am unable to install this update. As also others on reddit have stated IS that Apparently the updated firmware has been pulled from sennheisers servers cause some people were bricking their devices. There is apparently 3 diff firmware versions. Some people are even getting the latest one already on it from the factory. So now I feel like I am getting even more screwed then others.

They hide the update under the surround sound dongle menu instead of the gsx menu on their page. And they offer no option to directly download the firmware even though their shoddy program offers a manual selection feature.

The fact is people are on 3 diff firmware versions depending on where and when they bought it. and I assume with 3 diff 7.1 and mic sound qualities. That will definitely account for different user experiences!
The only way the firmware didn't work for some could be many reasons. did the update successfully done? for me is worked. I had some weird errors with the sennheiser software update at first but after closing and updating it, it worked fine with no errors and then I updated the firmware. maybe some people unplugged it while update had crash, software crash, power outage no one will tell you cause they want warranty.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #1,346 of 1,519
The only way the firmware didn't work for some could be many reasons. did the update successfully done? for me is worked. I had some weird errors with the sennheiser software update at first but after closing and updating it, it worked fine with no errors and then I updated the firmware. maybe some people unplugged it while update had crash, software crash, power outage no one will tell you cause they want warranty.

How long ago? what date did you do this? I was able to update the sennehiser updater program. After realizing I had to wait 2 mins for it to start the download for some weird reason. But I am unable to click on the gsx to update firmware even though it shows newer version it is available. It is greyed out. No matter how many times and ways I've reinstalled it or rebooted. Others also have this problem and the response on reddit was that the update is no longer available and pulled from the servers.

I agree people probably got impatient and closed the program just as it was updating and bricked their devices or other reasons as you have stated. The program is sketchy and requires patience just to let it update itself to the latest version which takes way too long to start the download for some reason and then install. Then you have to wait for it to blink a couple times and minute later it shows what versions of firmware are installed and available. But That is no reason for sennheiser to pull the update and deny me the opportunity for a better 7.1 and mic quality on the gsx!

Why not just provide a link to download the firmware directly and use manual option within the program? Why hide the updater on their website under the surround dongle menu? And why isn't it even the latest version of the program? this is all telling.

I've now sent emails and left messages for technical support with no response. Why?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #1,347 of 1,519
I would like to apologize to all in this thread I have been hostile to, Especially Shankly1985.

He has pointed out to me even though the program is showing a "new version" of 808, that is actually a lower number then 844! hence the reason I can't click on it to update. most likely a minor bug in the updater software. And probably why sennheiser has not contacted me back most likely confused by my question. I embarrassed at how bad at math I am.

I have decided to keep the GSX 1000. I have been using it, and do like it more then I did last year. As above poster stated surround sound is something to get used to. But going back to my onboard surround options now sounds like stereo in comparison. and I do indeed notice the microphone playback now when with the previous device I owned last year, I was on this thread claiming it was a fake option that did nothing :). Now I definitely can hear myself in the mic and can tell when its on. And the device must sound clearer now because I am enjoying it.

So it turns out I didn't have a faulty device last year, but that Sennheiser listened to the community and made the appropriate changes.

As far as the USB3 issue still being a problem on my system, I have to thank again thewind32 for pointing out it was a known issue. After plugging gsx into a usb2 device I have not experienced the issue of it not starting or waking up.

Sorry to the forums for the confusion and thanks for the replies and to Sennheiser for an awesome gamer product to pair with my awesome game zeros!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #1,348 of 1,519
How long ago? what date did you do this? I was able to update the sennehiser updater program. After realizing I had to wait 2 mins for it to start the download for some weird reason. But I am unable to click on the gsx to update firmware even though it shows newer version it is available. It is greyed out. No matter how many times and ways I've reinstalled it or rebooted. Others also have this problem and the response on reddit was that the update is no longer available and pulled from the servers.

I agree people probably got impatient and closed the program just as it was updating and bricked their devices or other reasons as you have stated. The program is sketchy and requires patience just to let it update itself to the latest version which takes way too long to start the download for some reason and then install. Then you have to wait for it to blink a couple times and minute later it shows what versions of firmware are installed and available. But That is no reason for sennheiser to pull the update and deny me the opportunity for a better 7.1 and mic quality on the gsx!

Why not just provide a link to download the firmware directly and use manual option within the program? Why hide the updater on their website under the surround dongle menu? And why isn't it even the latest version of the program? this is all telling.

I've now sent emails and left messages for technical support with no response. Why?

see my post just before couple days ago it has screenshot shows ths old version just before I updated it.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #1,349 of 1,519
see my post just before couple days ago it has screenshot shows ths old version just before I updated it.

Yes apparenlty I have a 3rd firmware which is 844. Even though it says new version is 808. Its very strange I dunno what to say, sennheiser hasn't responded to me yet. Hopefully they don't respond and tell me they have no idea what firmware version I have lol. It wouldn't be a first for me. I once had a gigabyte bios version that gigabyte never heard of, so anythings possible.

Do you see this new firmware version if you try to update now?

On bottom of my unit it says Revision A01.7D.05. I do believe it sounds better then the one I got last year. I ordered it off of Amazon so hopefully its legit.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #1,350 of 1,519
Yes apparenlty I have a 3rd firmware which is 844. Even though it says new version is 808.

What are the other numbers in front? Are they all the same? For example: 1.2.808 would be newer than 1.1.844, you can't just look at the last number alone.
If what you have is indeed an older version but are unable to update, you have to click on "Options" and then"Check for Updates" again.
Then you should be able to select the gsx update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back