Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Dec 30, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #1,321 of 1,519
I will report back since I seem to be the only person with this problem so far.

I've experienced twice now where the gsx sounded like a staticky garbled echoing and I have had to unplug the usb and plug it back in after a full startup of the pc.

I remember that there was some issue with the gsx when plugged into a usb 3 port. Try using a different port if you have any, especially if they are usb 2.0.

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #1,323 of 1,519
Well you will all laugh. But I bought the gsx 1000 again. Couldn't take my onboard audio giving me performance problems even though it sounded great. Every thing from audio popping on resume to occassional hitching. So I ended up getting the sennheiser GSX again to use a usb sound card which previously gave me no issues when using power saving features on my board.

I STILL think it sounds very muffled. Still think it could use an eq setting between e-sport and normal. But the positional audio is still good. BFV fixed the glitch I was getting in bf1 with super loud enemy footsteps with my onboard so I no longer had that advantage. but the positional still sound good with sennheiser on bfv.

PROS: 1. Game zero headset sounds much more punchier and fuller sound.
2. Audio is more dynamic. greater diff between loud and soft sounds.
3. Good positional audio. Better then other 3rd party surround sound solutions.

CONS: 1. Lower sound quality. Sounds muffled and not as clear. I still think it possibly could be helped slightly by having another eq setting between e-sport and normal. Or a custom option. e-sport is a little too extreme.
2. Overpriced to the point of ridiculousness. This isnt' a full sound card. It has less features and lower sound quality. To charge so much for this thing is insulting. If I didn't have hardware problems that prompts the need for a usb card, or a sennheiser headset I loved, no way I'd be buying this. And I still wouldn't recommend it.

My current settings for bfv: Normal EQ, Front focused surround, 1 + reverb.

Did you upgrade the firmware? (you have to install the package -above- the gsx on the sennheiser downloads page first).

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,324 of 1,519
Does GSX actually have upgradeable firmware? I couldn't find any where you get it?

For your problem have you tried setting it to windows game mode? disabled origin in game? update windows audio drivers?

I've experienced twice now where the gsx sounded like a staticky garbled echoing and I have had to unplug the usb and plug it back in after a full startup of the pc. Wonder if this one I got from Amazon and UPS got kicked around like a soccer ball?

Don't really like how the usb goes into back of gsx either. but my pc is on the floor and a pain to unplug it that way. but I might have to so I don't break the connection in back of gsx, which is very tight. sounding like a real hassle.

Right now I enabled legacy usb mode in bios and disabled selective usb suspend in windows power settings and will see what happens. I'm using windows 10.

It's on this page
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/gaming-downloads
Firmware update tool.

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #1,325 of 1,519
upload_2018-12-30_20-38-17.png

Sennheiser GSX 1000
Release Note

Date: 14-02-2018
Version: 5.23.37.0.808

Change Log

New Features:
• Added Support for tournament mode.
o Volume wheel on side can mute communication while tournament mode is active.

Changes and Bug fixes:
• Fixed an issue with start up on USB 3.0
• Microphone has been retuned for improved performance.
• Improved audio performance in 7.1 mode.
• Optimized signal to noise ratio on side-tone (microphone).
• Fixed an issue with mute function on windows 10.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #1,326 of 1,519
Question about the audio quality?

I just got a GSX1000 and I don’t like it.

At all it sounds so incredibly horribly bad

I am listening on these cans:
DT990
Hd555
SHP9500
Fidelio M2BT
It is hard to determine which cans it can drive when the sound is so off. But dt990 can’t go very high in volume and the bass is very subdued.

It sounds like a good HiFi system playing in a shipping container. That kind of sound but not as bad as that would sound in reality :)

The highs are too high the mid tones are muffled and the bass sounds kind of blurry.

There is positional audio in Destiny 2 but in Division it just lowers the treble on the back channel.

If you guys like it then I must be doing something wrong? Or maybe I am just an ungrateful person who doesn’t appreciate positional audio when I get it :)
I just plugged my good old AKG K501 into the GSX1000. On 2 channel it sounds as expected like from all sources, on 7.1 also nothing is wrong here. Played some Wildlands just for you with this setup, I cannot confirm that all it sounds so incredibly horribly bad, not at all, so what is wrong with your setup?

Dec 30, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,327 of 1,519
Same here, only in German language:

upload_2018-12-30_20-6-15.png

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #1,329 of 1,519
I remember that there was some issue with the gsx when plugged into a usb 3 port. Try using a different port if you have any, especially if they are usb 2.0.
ty I will check.

yes it seems to be more an issue on startup. I just woke the pc from sleep right now and didn't notice any issues. Though, sometimes I have to make sure its enabled as default. or adjust volume. at first I saw the lines/ two dashes and didn't realize what was wrong. I turned knob and nothing. But then I adjusted volume from windows desktop and it went on.

haven't had issue so far after enabling legacy usb mode. If I do I will report back to thread. Kind of a security risk, but what is security in 2018 lol. I try to disable as much stuff as possible if I don't need to use it. for hardware resources and such as well.

I also have csm disabled in bios if I have issue again I'll try that. But I'm thinking its most likely totally random so far, hopefully not.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #1,330 of 1,519
Another issue I have with gsx 1000 is now it didn't wake from sleep. Even though I have selective suspend setting in windows turned off and enabled legacy bios usb mode.

I've now switched it to a usb2 port. it was indeed plugged into a blue usb 3 port. will see if it makes any diff. I also had this problem with the gsx 1200 just never spoke on it. I was hoping it was only a garbled echo static on startup. but being totally black on resume is still an issue as well. hopefully usb 2 fixes the issue.

what about asb usbmedia host controller or something like this? Would this make any diff if I disabled it? I'll give it a shot if problem persists. oh and also enable csm.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #1,332 of 1,519
Another issue I have with gsx 1000 is now it didn't wake from sleep. Even though I have selective suspend setting in windows turned off and enabled legacy bios usb mode.

I've now switched it to a usb2 port. it was indeed plugged into a blue usb 3 port. will see if it makes any diff. I also had this problem with the gsx 1200 just never spoke on it. I was hoping it was only a garbled echo static on startup. but being totally black on resume is still an issue as well. hopefully usb 2 fixes the issue.

what about asb usbmedia host controller or something like this? Would this make any diff if I disabled it? I'll give it a shot if problem persists. oh and also enable csm.
To get help, you need to visit a PC tech forum and post your complete rig details plus settings there then someone can help. About the GSX1000 please connect it to a different PC and just check if it sounds normal. Best would be a vanilla PC without expert changes in either Windows or Bios.

Jan 1, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #1,333 of 1,519
I figured out my screen flashing problem. I moved my GSX between several PC's. My problem wasn't the GSX 1000, it was toggling HDR on the desktop. I had HDR enabled on my windows 10 PC connected to my X27 monitor. Adjusting the volume with the GSX 1000 caused problems when I was playing a non-HDR game. The screen would go blank while the monitor activated HDR for a second to show the audio slider, then go blank again as it turned off HDR to resume showing the video game. This problem did not occur with HDR turned off or in HDR enabled games.

Jan 2, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #1,334 of 1,519
I figured out my screen flashing problem. I moved my GSX between several PC's. My problem wasn't the GSX 1000, it was toggling HDR on the desktop. I had HDR enabled on my windows 10 PC connected to my X27 monitor. Adjusting the volume with the GSX 1000 caused problems when I was playing a non-HDR game. The screen would go blank while the monitor activated HDR for a second to show the audio slider, then go blank again as it turned off HDR to resume showing the video game. This problem did not occur with HDR turned off or in HDR enabled games.

hard to understand how u can't notice hdr mode I on and play non hdr games while it's on. it just mess up things and lower ur picture quality for non hdr games a lot. the color just not correct

Jan 2, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #1,335 of 1,519
If you disable an usb controller, the usb ports associated with it will all be unusable. I doubt it's causing your issues.

its only for two 3.1 ports. one type a and a type c. I just thought maybe it was causing some sort of irq conflict or something weird with the gsx. But more likely some sort of power saving issue. I also have one of those boards where you can charge usb devices if the computer is powered down depending on power settings.

But So far no issues after using a usb 2.0 port. hopefully that was the issue. Ty for the advice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back