Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Feb 26, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #1,051 of 1,519
Yes the unit is not an amp, more like a DAC. You'll need a amp to drive most mid-fi headphones. I tried all my usb ports and different computers, the output of my gsx-1000 is weaker or equal compared to my MacBook pro output. I paired it with my Magni 3 and its fine now. 1 V RMS@32 ohms is very weak.
Agree for the likes of HD800/HD600 it is a bit weak, but not for his Sennheiser Gaming Headset in question. But you can always put a Magni 3 in the chain, good idea.

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #1,053 of 1,519
Yes the unit is not an amp, more like a DAC. You'll need a amp to drive most mid-fi headphones. I tried all my usb ports and different computers, the output of my gsx-1000 is weaker or equal compared to my MacBook pro output. I paired it with my Magni 3 and its fine now. 1 V RMS@32 ohms is very weak.

Can you send a picture of the magni cables conected to the gsx 1000? My gsx 1000 + game one combo have a very low sound too.
I bought a amp but i have no ideia on how to plug one in another.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,054 of 1,519
To pair the GSX with an amp, any 3.5mm to RCA cable will work. Plug the 3.5mm end into the GSX's headphone output, connect the RCA connectors to an amp, and set the volume on the GSX to 100.

The Game One + GSX 1000 shouldn't run into low volume problems if everything is set up correctly. Check the volume on the headset itself (dial on the right ear cup), make sure the GSX is controlling the computer's volume properly, check audio settings, etc. I've paired the GSX 1200 with the PC37X headset and the the GSX was able to push the PC37X to excessive volumes when turned up. I've also run my Ether Flow straight out of the GSX without needing an amp to reach ideal listening levels. With hard to drive headphones an amp will make sense, but in my experience it's not necessary for one of Sennheiser's own headsets.

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #1,055 of 1,519
i have checked everything, and volume is too low for FPS games with PC37x, even my asus Z370 F-Gaming's onboard has more power
is SMSL SAPII good enough ? i think it is the only amp under 100€ available in poland/EU (dont want schiit product, needs to be black)
honestly im thinking about sticking to ZxR and returning the GSX...
other than surround capabilities and a quick headphone/speaker switch - its a downgrade... flashy brick with useless features in 7.1 mode, no real EQ control, 16bit sound, and a bad mic input

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #1,056 of 1,519
Please post a screenshot of your playback device settings. I need to see what you did there firsthand.

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #1,060 of 1,519
PbuW3h2.png

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #1,061 of 1,519
Thank you mate, this is brilliant news.

I tried out the GSX1000 at a friend for a short time.
Really liked the surround effect, but for my needs i was disappointed by the lack of customisable EQ and the lack of loudness correction.

This is mostly due to some games like Battlefield 1 that have really nice sound design, but my ears can only take so much of that intense treble energy and huge dynamic range of explosions and shots going off everywhere 24/7.

Win10 loudness controls work quite well from my experience so i could use that to lower the dynamic range a bit.
All that would be needed for me would be the EQ part.

Would Win10 EQ plugins that work at the sound system level be able to accomplish that? So leaving the GSX1000 on flat EQ mode and using external software to tweak the frequency balance.
I can see a lot of 3rd party solutions that claim to affect all sound except when the software uses the audio device in "direct mode".

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #1,063 of 1,519

All settings look good. Same as mine. Only my volume level is on 16 to36 yours at 100.
Now i can only guess:
  • Try a different USB cable (did you use the red one which cam with the GSX?)
  • the volume dial on the headset is not at 100 % It is independent from the windows volume.
  • The GSX is defect. Can you test it with a friends PC?

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #1,064 of 1,519
Thank you mate, this is brilliant news.

I tried out the GSX1000 at a friend for a short time.
Really liked the surround effect, but for my needs i was disappointed by the lack of customisable EQ and the lack of loudness correction.

This is mostly due to some games like Battlefield 1 that have really nice sound design, but my ears can only take so much of that intense treble energy and huge dynamic range of explosions and shots going off everywhere 24/7.

Win10 loudness controls work quite well from my experience so i could use that to lower the dynamic range a bit.
All that would be needed for me would be the EQ part.

Would Win10 EQ plugins that work at the sound system level be able to accomplish that? So leaving the GSX1000 on flat EQ mode and using external software to tweak the frequency balance.
I can see a lot of 3rd party solutions that claim to affect all sound except when the software uses the audio device in "direct mode".

I use EqualizerAPO with PeaceUI to EQ the signals going out to GSX1000. Works great for me. I was just playing overwatch, GSX1000 sounds cleaner than the build Dolby Atoms, but it lacks the vertical sound cues that Atoms offer. I dunno, i probably still go with GSX1000

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #1,065 of 1,519
I am waiting for a set of Sennheiser HD700 and was thinking. Should i keep my Asus Essence STX card or get the GSX 1000? Is the virtual surround the only good part of this amp? If so its kinda expensive unless the surround is THAT much better than lets say Dolby Headphone. Also the mic port seems to be bad so that is also a negative i guess. Cant decide >_<

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back