Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Dec 13, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #796 of 1,519
No games do not need to have their own atmos for headphones mix, it's just another vss solution, as long as it manages to get 7.1 surround it'll work (and it doesn't because games do not see it as a legit surround device). It will also work with atmos sound tracks (atmos renderer = atmos decoder, sorry for the confusion), which are mostly in movies. Overwatch is special in the sense that it directly uses integrated atmos for headphones algorithms to render position based audio (you have a sense of elevation instead of just front/rear/left/right)..

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #797 of 1,519
I was under the impression Atmos (don't know about Sonic) is not a channel based audio renderer but object based. So stereo vs. 5.1 vs. 7.1 in Windows settings is irrelevant and actually using those might mess it up, hence Windows reverting you to "stereo." Instead, the game you are playing or the movie you are watching must utilize its own Atmos engine. For instance Overwatch has its own Atmos for headphones preset, I think. (I don't have that game but that's what everyone says.) If your content does not include Atmos mixing, you won't actually get any of its benefits.

probably, or it does something unintended to the sound. Like my bf1 onboard settings who knows. Its up to you if you like it or not. Or if you even notice any diff. who knows what will support it though, does anything currently? I can't even get netflix app to work right in windows 10 with 5.1 or even video settings.. they app overrides custom user settings. Its immoral lol. Does the same thing on my "smart" tv.

For bf1 I preferred just normal settings. sonic studio in gaming mode, surround checked not sure if it actually does anything. and dolby atmos off. same thing with windows sonic for headphones. I really think the game takes care of everything.

netflix never fixed any bugs for me like amazon did multiple times. amazon gives full bandwidth and video. netflix compresses ugly videos and throttles and denies it. and will even maliciously hack your network. meanwhile they got all the good shows and thats how they get away with this stuff, the darn licensing haha.....

I think alot of these problems is poor development practices and microsoft giving away user rights.

Do the atmost for headphone trial and see how you like it.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #798 of 1,519
A game has "Atmos for Headphones" (eg Overwarch) it'll do it's own thing and output to the headphones it's version of VSS

In windows you can also choose speaker output "Spatial" Sonic (free) or Atmos (paid) and it'll do its best to convert the audio to VSS. The paid Atmos version also has a headphone version.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #799 of 1,519
Right, so what I mean is the game/movie/whatever needs its own Atmos for headphones mix, or as you put it the ability to "handshake," otherwise you don't really get Atmos. Is that right? That's what I have assumed. (I mentioned Overwatch as an example of how software can independently support some sort of VSS or 3D audio renderer without needing to set Windows to surround or needing any other equipment.)

When you say channel based or atmos renderer I'm sort of confused what that means though, I thought Atmos did surround in a different way.

I don't know. it definitely doesn't work for bf1, which says it supports atmos. I did some brief searching appears thats for home theatre system.

I would just download the trial and see what it sounds like on your system. It still does something to the sound to just a regular stereo steam. whether its good or bad is up to you. just like windows sonic. it gives you a pseudo surround like speaker fill type thing I guess. which might be cool for music or stereo movies. but not for positional audio gaming surround sound.

Maybe if something does natively support the headphone version it may be worth trying. But they already lost me...lol The bf1 or battlefront already do a good job in the game itself.

One good thing about the gsx is the front back, or balance surround settings. This is to accommodate diff headphones and sources. I would have preferred even custom user settings for each channel. but good presets to have. as long as your headphones not too bassy you can use any type even earbuds. and put surround to rear focus.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #800 of 1,519
Maybe if something does natively support the headphone version it may be worth trying. But they already lost me...lol

How did you go with Atmos Headphones in Overwatch?

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #801 of 1,519
A game has "Atmos for Headphones" (eg Overwarch) it'll do it's own thing and output to the headphones it's version of VSS

In windows you can also choose speaker output "Spatial" Sonic (free) or Atmos (paid) and it'll do its best to convert the audio to VSS. The paid Atmos version also has a headphone version.

well dangit why weren't you trolling me before my trial period ran out lmao. The same salesmen in microcenter was telling me about that game. haven't tried it yet.

I play bf1 and titanfall 2, and eso pvp right now. beautiful looking games.

bf1 def has best audio out of any game i ever played to date.

I was gonna play battlefront 2, but after I mentioned how hyped I was about it in the microcenter store. Battlefront got so hacked in a months time of me starting the game, that it ended up being only one server to play on, and always stacked teams with same dozen people.

I'm scared to even play battlefront 2 now. but might have to to just check out the audio excellence dice usually delivers.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #802 of 1,519
well dangit why weren't you trolling me before my trial period ran out lmao.

Make a new free account to give it a try?

Honestly aren't trolling you - trying to help

Any response to my query on hearing imbalance?

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #804 of 1,519
windows 10 will probably block me lol.

can I really just make a new user account. Don't plan on playing the game though.

Not sure what you mean by Win10 blocking you - would be a battle.net account thing?
Maybe need to wait for a free weekend?

Any response to hearing imbalance?
Is a legit query - would help explain why stuff doesn't work like advertised for you, yet stuff that shouldn't work does.

If there is one we could work around it and get the GSX in synch

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #805 of 1,519
its definitely better then things like windows sonic or dolby atmos for heapdhones. Depends on what soundcard and other software you have. Its all subjective. I suggest you buy it and try it out for yourself and see how it compares.

Imo, your headphones and what particular game you are playing, make the biggest differences.

But is the virtual surround processing that much better on the GSX1000 that it makes it worth buying a AMP and the GSX1000 for it? I see sound blaster have theyre own lineups in the same price range but then with a better AMP that can even handle up to 600 ohm headsets. But dunno if its better or worse.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #806 of 1,519
Not sure what you mean by Win10 blocking you - would be a battle.net account thing?
Maybe need to wait for a free weekend?

Any response to hearing imbalance?
Is a legit query - would help explain why stuff doesn't work like advertised for you, yet stuff that shouldn't work does.

If there is one we could work around it and get the GSX in synch

battlenet? huh? I'm talking about the microsoft store and dolby atmos for headphones.

What imbalance?, i'm sorry i'm not sure what specifically you'r e referring to. I've stated the numerous problems I've had with the gsx to justify the price. Its a budget thing. To say it simply, it may have improved surround sound immersion, but not a positional audio advantage, and only in games like fallout 4 not games like bf1. Also sounded uddied and muffled then my onboard which was much more clearer and can do surround sound too. same thing with movies. In fact i'm wearing my headphones right now. Got a movie downloaded was playing it in wmp and realizing it sounded like crap. Put in VLC. and boom, now I'm hearing surround in my two ears cups. Much better. not sure what file format this vid is in. codec thing in this case usually. But Its just my ears man, nothing we can do about that. I felt the gsx sacrificed too much for what might only be a minor improvement in surround immerision if noticeable.

edit: its a .mkv file.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #807 of 1,519
battlenet? huh? I'm talking about the microsoft store and dolby atmos for headphones.

Overwatch has it's own inbuilt Atmos Headphone output - you leave Windows as normal stereo to use it.

What imbalance?, i'm sorry i'm not sure what specifically you'r e referring to.

I asked earlier if there was any chance you had a slight hearing imbalance - if you do it could go a long way to explaining why VSS could sound murky, muffled etc for you - especially with closed headphones.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #808 of 1,519
But is the virtual surround processing that much better on the GSX1000 that it makes it worth buying a AMP and the GSX1000 for it? I see sound blaster have theyre own lineups in the same price range but then with a better AMP that can even handle up to 600 ohm headsets. But dunno if its better or worse.

soundblaster has cards with surround sound virtualizations too.
ah ok, ty for reporting the bug. It seems the atmos for headphones was an after thought, and it was originally designed for a just a home theatre system. I think they only came out with heapdhone version cause demand? Also windows 10 has been a nightmare when it comes to surround sound and audio drivers in general. Not sure whats up with that. Its my believe that its really designed for mobile devices that don't have surround support, and they feel most pc users don't use surround. SO i'm not surprised.

3. Well bf1 does w/e magic it does. Because here you can test settings you windows to stereo. and then setting bf1 to 7.1. There is definitely some mixing going on since windows is set to stereo. Whether its my sound card software or the game itself I'm not sure. But it will sound completely different when setting bf1 to stereo. Now it might not sound proper to you. But its definitely surround sounds. Stereo sounds like stereo, way more linear. the 7.1 settings I actually think it could be considered a cheat because the left and right sounds get less dynamic when it comes to footsteps with bf1 in 7.1. So you will hear the enemy footsteps way before they hear you For people who simply want an advantage. This is it!!! Its not perfect, but its less muddy and positional audio is more of an advantage, then when using the gsx. And I mean extremely so.

No other game I know of does this. So that option is in the settings menu for a reason and it changes the sound for sure. And HEADPHONES make the diff. My hd 202's i couldn't notice any difference, the game zeros notice an extreme diff between the two settings.

4. Its the recommendation for "high end equipment" period. whether using speakers or headphones. But they must not be lying, because I agree with them.

Don't know what your last comment implies, But if you wanna see childish, look at raband's last post lol...

Just realized that windows sonic does the same thing. Automatic switches windows audio device to stereo, if switching it back to 5.1, spatial sound automaticallly switches off.

I think I was right in what I originally said. and no wonder microsoft is ignoring your bug report. It is working as intended man...lmao. Its meant to just give a headphone psuedo speaker fill effect off of a STEREO source or inscrease soundstage. or only work with sources directly supporting it and handshaking like a specific protocol a previous poster was assuming, because it seems worthless.

Headphones with good soundstage, some basic software with surrouind support that comes with any modern sound card, and sources with native surround sound support, is all you need.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #809 of 1,519

ya not sure never tried the soundblaster. But the scout mode on the soundblaster omni, looks similar to the e-sport mode on gsx. and that omni is 24 bit.

But the description of it giving an e-sport advantage because of hearing enemies from further away is a come on. Nothing is going to give you more of advantage in game like bf1 that has inherent 5.1 support, then using the settings I've described in previous posts. That is the only way you will literally hear enemies from much further away.

To the "experts" it will sound like broken surround, because footsteps will sound closer then they are in direct right and left directions, less dynamic and less immersive in that sense. So its not perfect, but its got the clarity of the higher quality card onboard card, and is definitely surround sounding compared to positional audio with stereo settings. And its such a huge advantage I'm afraid to keep talking about it, guilty it might be deemed cheating. Or Dice will remove the feature in future versions...

I hope not cause us honest gamers are a rarity nowadays and we need all the help we can get! And it feels way more immersive still regardless over stereo.

and no i don't use asus sonar!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #810 of 1,519
Overwatch has it's own inbuilt Atmos Headphone output - you leave Windows as normal stereo to use it.

I asked earlier if there was any chance you had a slight hearing imbalance - if you do it could go a long way to explaining why VSS could sound murky, muffled etc for you - especially with closed headphones.

ah so that also confirms windows is meant to be in stereo to use it tks. Yes this is what I do for bf1 as well, without atmos. cs:go hrtf seems good enough too.

And lmao, alot of reviews on the many different 3rd party VSS out there come to the same conclusions. its either tinny or muffled. I guess it becomes an acquired taste like me listening to music in surround.

And I just have to say, the game zeros are not your normal closed headphones. They have quite the soundstage and clarity. I returned the game ones in favor of them for comfort and noise cancellation. Some posters believed I may have gotten a faulty GSX unit, but i'm doubtful about that. Because its the same complaint I had about razer software, like many others.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back