Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Dec 13, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #781 of 1,519
I give up.

You're either:

unable/unwilling to understand what numerous people are taking their time to try and explain to you to try and help you and instead revert to and push your "knoweledge" (which is obviously flawed)
have terms, definitions and concepts that are "incorrect" to reality
are missing the basic idea of what VSS is, how it works and how to setup the whole chain to utilise it
a troll

We've got people in this forum who are experts covering all aspects of audio, tech, hardware, media and content fields - if the was any "conspiracy" out there to downgrade our options or experience it'd definitely be noted and common knowledge.

Maybe take a deep breath, sit back and consider the slight chance that when you're the sole person disagreeing constantly with dozens of people regarding very basic concepts and specifications that you might be the one on the wrong track.

What is it you disagree with exactly? At least Sinery tried to debate me honestly and didn't simply play semantics with word definitions. Postional Audio is the subject. I'm not sure what you are even getting at, are you mad everything you believed has been wrong all this time. Or That all your "experts" are really just robots parroting what other people say and have been posing for years? Or at posters who base theories on texts and reviews instead of actual hands on experience.?

1. Dolby atmos for headhpones, switches everything to stereo. FACT. try it for yourself?

2. Why would you listen to music in stereo with the gsx. Thats probably why sennheiser even made the hd 24bit audio impractical to switch, because who would actually do that when the 16 bit surround sounds better, and people have 32bit on their onboard. (robots who think they are supposed to because they've been told to by "experts", so sennheiser had to include it cause politics) I'd prefer if they got rid of stereo off the thing and cut the price in half lol. They actually need to cut more stuff, cause the thing isn't worth more then 50 dollars to me.

3. There is no magic to make something surround sound for positional audio, whether direct channel or simulated, if the developers of the game did not map the sounds or create the effects themselves. period. FACTS. In fact thats what everyone replied to the above posters video, and what even your "experts" keep saying in this thread.

4. These are the settings I use in bf1, you have a problem with them?. Many "experts" i noticed don't want to use large speakers settings in the game. IMO large speakers sound the best and its what the developers themselves recommend if you have nice audio equipment. BF1 devs enchanced footsteps in the game natively so you don't need a tinny sound to hear them. BF1 has both good immersion and positional audio. Posters in the thread don't want to use large speakers probably cause the gsx makes everything so muddy, especially with the wrong headphones. You need to use something brighter then normal.

Earlier in this thread I described all my gsx settings for each situation as well, music, games, movies. I'm not a shill. I'm the avg user here that loves audio, I got nothing to prove, and nothing to pretend about. Nowadays most of the internet is fake haters. I don't hate sennheiser either since I praise their gaming heapdhones. I grew up on home pcs and the internet and I am one of the last Mohicans in my late 30's who is not breeding malicious hackers, you are privileged to have my posts.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #782 of 1,519
What is it you disagree with exactly? At least Sinery tried to debate me honestly and didn't simply play semantics with word definitions. Postional Audio is the subject. I'm not sure what you are even getting at, are you mad everything you believed has been wrong all this time. Or That all your "experts" are really just robots parroting what other people say and have been posing for years? Or at posters who base theories on texts and reviews instead of actual hands on experience.?

1. Dolby atmos for headhpones, switches everything to stereo. FACT. try it for yourself?

2. Why would you listen to music in stereo with the gsx. Thats probably why sennheiser even made the hd 24bit audio impractical to switch, because who would actually do that when the 16 bit surround sounds better, and people have 32bit on their onboard. (robots who think they are supposed to because they've been told to by "experts", so sennheiser had to include it cause politics) I'd prefer if they got rid of stereo off the thing and cut the price in half lol. They actually need to cut more stuff, cause the thing isn't worth more then 50 dollars to me.

3. There is no magic to make something surround sound for positional audio, whether direct channel or simulated, if the developers of the game did not map the sounds or create the effects themselves. period. FACTS. In fact thats what everyone replied to the above posters video, and what even your "experts" keep saying in this thread.

4. These are the settings I use in bf1, you have a problem with them?. Many "experts" i noticed don't want to use large speakers settings in the game. IMO large speakers sound the best and its what the developers themselves recommend if you have nice audio equipment. BF1 devs enchanced footsteps in the game natively so you don't need a tinny sound to hear them. BF1 has both good immersion and positional audio. Posters in the thread don't want to use large speakers probably cause the gsx makes everything so muddy, especially with the wrong headphones. You need to use something brighter then normal.

Earlier in this thread I described all my gsx settings for each situation as well, music, games, movies. I'm not a shill. I'm the avg user here that loves audio, I got nothing to prove, and nothing to pretend about. Nowadays most of the internet is fake haters. I don't hate sennheiser either since I praise their gaming heapdhones. I grew up on home pcs and the internet and I am one of the last Mohicans in my late 30's who is not breeding malicious hackers, you are privileged to have my posts.

Dude -

you're the guy complaining about audio quality while wearing headphones over your hoodie

your're the guy saying the cinema shows the movies too dark while wearing sunglasses

you're the guy saying the GSX sucks for everyone and is a con because it doesn't work for you

DESPITE EVERYONE SUGGESTING YOU TAKE OFF THE HOODIE, SUNGLASSES OR LISTENING

1 - Stereo = 2.0 audio, You keep using that word, I don't think you know what it means.
Atmos for Headphones takes a surround feed (vid, game, whatever) and tries to replicate the surround experience for people wearing 2 transducer headphones

2 - 2.0 source - sounds best in 2.0 delivery - lets not force what's recorded for RCA plugs to digitally DSP a random 5.1/7.1 fluffy filler
You like the "fullness" a DSP adds to your headphone experience with stereo music - good for you - MOST people prefer hearing 2 speaker stuff coming from left and right speakers in their headphones - exactly as the music was recorded.

3 - Developers for games can make a great or bad 5.1/7.1 experience for hardwired speakers. (add in atmos - same crap)
3rd parties can work out a way (and do to varying degrees of success) to simulate that experience for people wearing headphones - using the "in game" settings to emulate the speaker experience

The "magic" that you're hung up on doesn't exist - it's the way the sound happens.
The "MAGIC" is how the 3rd parties make it work using stereo headphones.

The "MAGIC" that the 3rd parties do is irrelevant to the game - the app/dongle/amp/dildo gets the 5.1/7.1 signal from the computer, processes it then plays it in the 2.0 headphones in such a way that the wearer hears the sounds as it came out from the game.

4 - Your "settings" in game are based on (from what I can tell) random button mashing til something works for you.

You're the guy arguing that Adidas sneakers are farked in a sneakers forum

You bought the $20 narrow toe Adidas sneakers
You bought some $20 wide toed Nike sneakers and they fit fine

You're now telling those who wear Adidas that they're wrong - their shoes don't fit and they don't know how to drive snowplows (no idea where that came from - you bought it up randomly)

Some will say their shoes are fine, some will say they fit, some will say it doesn't snow where they are - but damn, you're 100% correct because your shoes fit, they're Nike and you couldn't drive a snowplow while wearing the Adidas ones.

Therefore:
the Adidas $20 shoes don't fit you
the Nike $20 shoes do fit you
you can't drive a snowplow while wearing Adidas shoes

Your conclusion - Adidas sucks,Nike rules and you can drive a snowplow

Our conclusion - "Kids, don't make eye contact"

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #783 of 1,519
Dude -

you're the guy complaining about audio quality while wearing headphones over your hoodie

your're the guy saying the cinema shows the movies too dark while wearing sunglasses

you're the guy saying the GSX sucks for everyone and is a con because it doesn't work for you

DESPITE EVERYONE SUGGESTING YOU TAKE OFF THE HOODIE, SUNGLASSES OR LISTENING

1 - Stereo = 2.0 audio, You keep using that word, I don't think you know what it means.
Atmos for Headphones takes a surround feed (vid, game, whatever) and tries to replicate the surround experience for people wearing 2 transducer headphones

2 - 2.0 source - sounds best in 2.0 delivery - lets not force what's recorded for RCA plugs to digitally DSP a random 5.1/7.1 fluffy filler
You like the "fullness" a DSP adds to your headphone experience with stereo music - good for you - MOST people prefer hearing 2 speaker stuff coming from left and right speakers in their headphones - exactly as the music was recorded.

3 - Developers for games can make a great or bad 5.1/7.1 experience for hardwired speakers. (add in atmos - same ****)
3rd parties can work out a way (and do to varying degrees of success) to simulate that experience for people wearing headphones - using the "in game" settings to emulate the speaker experience

The "magic" that you're hung up on doesn't exist - it's the way the sound happens.
The "MAGIC" is how the 3rd parties make it work using stereo headphones.

The "MAGIC" that the 3rd parties do is irrelevant to the game - the app/dongle/amp/dildo gets the 5.1/7.1 signal from the computer, processes it then plays it in the 2.0 headphones in such a way that the wearer hears the sounds as it came out from the game.

4 - Your "settings" in game are based on (from what I can tell) random button mashing til something works for you.

You're the guy arguing that Adidas sneakers are farked in a sneakers forum

You bought the $20 narrow toe Adidas sneakers
You bought some $20 wide toed Nike sneakers and they fit fine

You're now telling those who wear Adidas that they're wrong - their shoes don't fit and they don't know how to drive snowplows.

Some will say their shoes are fine, some will say they fit, some will say it doesn't snow where they are - but damn, you're 100% correct because your shoes fit, they're Nike and you couldn't drive a snowplow while wearing the Adidas ones.

Therefore:
the Adidas $20 shoes don't fit you
the Nike $20 shoes do fit you
you can't drive a snowplow while wearing Adidas shoes

Your conclusion - Adidas sucks,Nike rules so I can drive a snowplow

Our conclusion - "Don't make eye contact kids"

whos trolling now. No i'm not "the guy" who said any of those things.

1. there is dolby atmos and dolby atmos for heapdhones. Maybe you don't even realize there is two diff ones? since this is "head-fi.org" I assumed you understood I'm talking about headphone version. You obviously never even tried it for yourself and you are on here debating me about it? Troll harder. Dolby atmos for headphones switches everything to STEREO!!!! Try it for yourself. Set your windows to 5.1, then turn on dobly atmos and see if its still 5.1. It will automatically switch it to stereo. For games like bf1 and battlefront, it does not sound great. It might make games in stereo sound more immersive, but it will do nothing for your positional audio, and nothing for a surround source. Sorry I crashed your whole world,....but please stop trolling me. I don't plan on using dolby, but If this is a bug go report it.

2. I guess this is subjective. But I been listening to stereo music upmixed to surround on my speaker system, with realtek speaker fill option for almost a decade now. Because of people like you I guess, and because of the mobile device fad, I no longer have the option, it was removed. Too many people like me staying quiet, while the robotic parrot poser shrills dominate the narrative. Audio evolution is being halted because people stuck to the past like good sheep. GSX already came out a decade too late, and surround sound nativley in games is briefly finally here to probably fade away back off the pc.

But On the gsx music sounded way better with surround then stereo. ITS ACTUALLY A BONUS, since the ability was removed from windows 10 for my speaker system, and with gsx you can do it on headphones!!!! Again, you sound like a parrot claiming otherwise is the right thing to do. There is no right or wrong here guy. I was making a suggestion to users having trouble switching, Listen to the music in surround! There is nothing wrong with doing so, I'm a a musician and it sounds better to me. Use no reverb, set desired eq. balanced or front focus surround. Its actually one of the few advantages it has over my onboard for headphones. It sounds great for music Contrary to popular robotic opinions.

3. The point is, for good positional audio, they have to code the positional sounds, period. It has to be in the source, whether its stereo or not . If they don't, you can't make surround or positional audio out of nothing. You are disappointing all the "experts" by trolling me on this.

4. I don't even know how to reply to this troll of a statement. Setting my bf1 game to 7.1 and large speakers is button smashing? You sound like a young gamer. The bf1 devs, themselves, say large speakers is for high end equipment, including headphones. But you shouldn't take their word for it either try what works. But IMO, the gsx also sounded best with bf1 to large speakers. UNLESS you have bass heavy speakers, which most headsets designed for music are. and it will sound muddy, especially when using the gsx. I couldn't even use my hd 202's, like I said it was so muddy sounding i couldn' thear anything. I have the game zeros which have a good balanced sound, especially mids , and it seems like the gsx was designed for more of that type of cups. SO i can balanced the immerssion with positional. Even the bf1 devs probably designed for certain type of hardware. So your speaker and eq settings for bf1 will depend on your headphones most of all. But I gotta say, if large speakers in bf1 sounds too muddy for you, You don't have the right gaming headset.

I think we know who the real troll is now.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #784 of 1,519
I've loosely followed the drama here but my 2c:

1 - Atmos for headphones and windows sonic in are supposed to take in 7.1 signal and then mix it to 2.0 stereo with virtual surround, which they do when they manage to actually get a 7.1 signal to begin with (when you can force the output to 7.1, like in movies or you are watching an atmos encoded track). See, atmos and sonic switch windows control panel to stero and most modern games do not output anything different from what they see in there (yes BF1 included, no setting it to 7.1 does not output actual 7.1 when you don't have a real 7.1 device or one that is seen as such by windows). They're supposed to perform a "handshake" with games but there are only a handful that work (games from window store mostly and on xbox), thus it's usually overprocessed stereo that goes out of your headset and not actual virtual surround.

2 - This is highly subjective, some people prefer cans with insane amounts of bass (die, you monsters) some don't. Personnaly i don't like how the gsx sounds with music (be it in stereo or in 7.1), but i do like watching youtube videos with the surround switched on, the processed stereo sounds less like it's in your face and more like the guy (or gal) is sitting in front of me. Again, personnal preference.

3 - Pretty much every game today is mapped to 8 physical channels and every sound is positionned and created exactly for that, the ingame settings just downmix that into stereo with various degrees of quality, depending on how much time the devs had (hellblade is just wonderfully mixed for pure stereo for example). The various virtual surround solutions work with those 8 channels, we're not locked to the devs' whims. It is already positionnal audio, not very precise one, but positionnal nonetheless and you're not going to hear it without actual physical 7.1 setup or some VSS solution. There are games there with real positionnal audio, like overwatch and uncharted on ps4 (platinum headset only), it's still virtual surround though.

4 - If he likes those settings, good for him (even if it's wrong, very, very wrong :D )

I also suggest you watch my destiny 2 video from the previous page, in stereo to hear how correct settings in the gsx sound (might not work for everyone though, again, psychoaccoustic effects do not work the same for everyone).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #785 of 1,519
My response to your next comment (and I'm suggesting to everyone else) is

"Buy sneakers with the Velcro laces"

with a bit of

"and ask mum to buy a soft foam helmet for you too"

If you actually took a single bit of decent knowledge that was offered to you in this thread onboard instead of continuing spewing nonsensical nonsense then you wouldn't keep talking crap.

"Hey CoooutAC - try XXXXXXXXX"

"I did YYYYYYY and it didn't work so you're wrong"

"Yeah, am trying to help - try XXXXXXXXXXX"

"You're all WRONG - I did YYYYYYYY and ZZZZZZZZZZ"

"What about XXXXXXXXX?"

"I did ZZZZZZZ and AAAAAAA, but DDDDDDDD worked for me - so there. The guy who suggested XXXXXXXXXX was wrong"

"DDDDDDDDD doesn't work, you're all stupid"

"Did you try XXXXXXXXX?"

"Why would I do that? DDDDDDDD, AAAAAAAA, YYYYYYYYY and ZZZZZZZZZZZZ didn't work"

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #786 of 1,519
I've loosely followed the drama here but my 2c:

1 - Atmos for headphones and windows sonic in are supposed to take in 7.1 signal and then mix it to 2.0 stereo with virtual surround, which they do when they manage to actually get a 7.1 signal to begin with (when you can force the output to 7.1, like in movies or you are watching an atmos encoded track). See, atmos and sonic switch windows control panel to stero and most modern games do not output anything different from what they see in there (yes BF1 included, no setting it to 7.1 does not output actual 7.1 when you don't have a real 7.1 device or one that is seen as such by windows). They're supposed to perform a "handshake" with games but there are only a handful that work (games from window store mostly and on xbox), thus it's usually overprocessed stereo that goes out of your headset and not actual virtual surround.

2 - This is highly subjective, some people prefer cans with insane amounts of bass (die, you monsters) some don't. Personnaly i don't like how the gsx sounds with music (be it in stereo or in 7.1), but i do like watching youtube videos with the surround switched on, the processed stereo sounds less like it's in your face and more like the guy (or gal) is sitting in front of me. Again, personnal preference.

3 - Pretty much every game today is mapped to 8 physical channels and every sound is positionned and created exactly for that, the ingame settings just downmix that into stereo with various degrees of quality, depending on how much time the devs had (hellblade is just wonderfully mixed for pure stereo for example). The various virtual surround solutions work with those 8 channels, we're not locked to the devs' whims. It is already positionnal audio, not very precise one, but positionnal nonetheless and you're not going to hear it without actual physical 7.1 setup or some VSS solution. There are games there with real positionnal audio, like overwatch and uncharted on ps4 (platinum headset only), it's still virtual surround though.

4 - If he likes those settings, good for him (even if it's wrong, very, very wrong :D )

I also suggest you watch my destiny 2 video from the previous page, in stereo to hear how correct settings in the gsx sound (might not work for everyone though, again, psychoaccoustic effects do not work the same for everyone).

1. If its supposed to do that then its broken. You obviously haven't tried it for yourself, and I'm not going to report it either. Its a waste of money. I did the trial for a few weeks, I have windows 10. AGAIN! set your windows to 5.1, then turn on dolby atmost for headphones, it will switch it to stereo. SO i really don't know how its getting a 5.1 source. You are mistaken, or just repeat what you hear like a certain bird.

2. I though it sounded terrible in stereo also. It seemed to remove all soundstage. It sounded so linear and in my head it was bizarre. Stereo with my onboard seems to have more soundstage then it did with stereo on gsx. But I really liked how it sounded on gsx in 7.1. Sure I guess its subjective. An acquired taste though that you can't go back from after getting used to. But it sounded great to me in 7.1 with stereo music sources, and is one advantage over my onboard for my headphones. But peoples onboards have 32bit stereo for those who prefer stereo. Again not sure why anyone would want stereo on the gsx.

3. I think you are wrong. EA Dice games like battlefield 1 and battelfront 2, are a whole different breed. They support actual 5.1/7.1 channels natively. I don't think there are many games that do. Some people still believe no games do, like a sales rep at microcenter recently tried to tell me. He believes no game supports surround sound.. But i can vouch for battlefield and battlefront games. Games like fallout 4 and witcher 3 probably do the upmixing you speak of while using stereo source.

Also, let me add since many people are confused about dolby atmos. The dolby atmos support in bf1 is NOT for the headphone version. it won't work. I tried. Its for a the regular dolby atmos for home theatre system.

Furhtermore, upmixing stereo to surround might make things sound more immersive, and make music seem fuller and certain effects louder in rear speakers. But it will do nothing for Positional Audio in games, which is what matters here. For that the game developers have to actually create the effects themselves, like hrtf in cs:go, to give the surround and positional audio effect. Sorry guy, but you can't make that from nothing. Contary to what you believe, you are locked to the developers whims.

4. Tell the bf1 devs themselves that they are very very wrong. In previous games the same option was called home cinema. Whats crazy is, these are the recommendations in the game menu themselves. You read it right there when you install the game lol. If you like a real tinny sound and want better positional audio, then go for it. But I want to be wowed with immersion at the same time, and with proper headphones it shouldn't sound muddy at all. It will sound way more powerful and immersive.

There is no point in watching your video. Because the headphones are what make the most difference for gaming, and I'm happy with mine.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #787 of 1,519
You doing it wrong, youtube doesn't natively support surround sound, only stereo. The only reason GSX videos work is because how they create a virtual surround sound.
To test the GSX you need to download a native 5.1 or 7.1 test file.

https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dolby-trailers/
I hear a slight difference,
for example, in windows I have two 'GSX1000' options in my 'playback devices' options, I choose 'GSX1000' that has 7.1 surround sound configured/enabled. Then, if I play a game, or watch a 5.1/7.1 youtube video, I only just slightly can hear a difference between front L/R compared to rear L/R. Another example, if I watch this youtube video, I can't hear any difference between 'LEFT' compared to 'LEFT Surround' (same deal with the right side): .
This is what is confusing for me, I know its working, but just not very well, I just figured my headphones had a small sound stage...
In the settings of Battlefield 1, I choose 'surround sound' and 'hardphones' as my audio outputs, I have also chosen 'large speakers', but I did not hear much of a difference.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #788 of 1,519
The general consensus the GSX are better than software surround found in Windows 10 and used by soundcards? Is it possible to mix this device with an AMP to drive more high end headsets?

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #789 of 1,519
1 - Oh but it is broken and yes i've tested it myself, extensively and i know what i'm talking about. I've reported it to microsoft several times already and people from the atmos topic agree. Yes i know it reverts the control panel to stereo (and apparently it's supposed to by design) but that does not mean that you cannot get something to actually output a 7.1 signal, you will simply not hear the extra channels if you don't have something set up to intercept them, again, something like atmos, sonic or any vss.

3 - And i can vouch that those games DO NOT output 7.1 when they don't detect a 7.1 device. If you have a 7.1 speaker system hooked up to your rig, sure, but not when your control panel says "2.0 stereo". What you think is irrelevant when i have signal bars not moving despite those games being set to surround.

And no we do not create positionnal audio "from nothing", that's what we are trying to make you understand.

4 - Those are the recommendation for people using plain headphones, not people who have a correctly setup VSS.

My video works with any stereo headphones, you are being childish.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #790 of 1,519
The general consensus the GSX are better than software surround found in Windows 10 and used by soundcards? Is it possible to mix this device with an AMP to drive more high end headsets?

its definitely better then things like windows sonic or dolby atmos for heapdhones. Depends on what soundcard and other software you have. Its all subjective. I suggest you buy it and try it out for yourself and see how it compares.

Imo, your headphones and what particular game you are playing, make the biggest differences.

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #791 of 1,519
1 - Oh but it is broken and yes i've tested it myself, extensively and i know what i'm talking about. I've reported it to microsoft several times already and people from the atmos topic agree. Yes i know it reverts the control panel to stereo (and apparently it's supposed to by design) but that does not mean that you cannot get something to actually output a 7.1 signal, you will simply not hear the extra channels if you don't have something set up to intercept them, again, something like atmos, sonic or any vss.

3 - And i can vouch that those games DO NOT output 7.1 when they don't detect a 7.1 device. If you have a 7.1 speaker system hooked up to your rig, sure, but not when your control panel says "2.0 stereo". What you think is irrelevant when i have signal bars not moving despite those games being set to surround.

And no we do not create positionnal audio "from nothing", that's what we are trying to make you understand.

4 - Those are the recommendation for people using plain headphones, not people who have a correctly setup VSS.

My video works with any stereo headphones, you are being childish.

ah ok, ty for reporting the bug. It seems the atmos for headphones was an after thought, and it was originally designed for a just a home theatre system. I think they only came out with heapdhone version cause demand? Also windows 10 has been a nightmare when it comes to surround sound and audio drivers in general. Not sure whats up with that. Its my believe that its really designed for mobile devices that don't have surround support, and they feel most pc users don't use surround. SO i'm not surprised.

3. Well bf1 does w/e magic it does. Because here you can test settings you windows to stereo. and then setting bf1 to 7.1. There is definitely some mixing going on since windows is set to stereo. Whether its my sound card software or the game itself I'm not sure. But it will sound completely different when setting bf1 to stereo. Now it might not sound proper to you. But its definitely surround sounds. Stereo sounds like stereo, way more linear. the 7.1 settings I actually think it could be considered a cheat because the left and right sounds get less dynamic when it comes to footsteps with bf1 in 7.1. So you will hear the enemy footsteps way before they hear you For people who simply want an advantage. This is it!!! Its not perfect, but its less muddy and positional audio is more of an advantage, then when using the gsx. And I mean extremely so.

No other game I know of does this. So that option is in the settings menu for a reason and it changes the sound for sure. And HEADPHONES make the diff. My hd 202's i couldn't notice any difference, the game zeros notice an extreme diff between the two settings.

4. Its the recommendation for "high end equipment" period. whether using speakers or headphones. But they must not be lying, because I agree with them.

Don't know what your last comment implies, But if you wanna see childish, look at raband's last post lol...

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #792 of 1,519
I was under the impression Atmos (don't know about Sonic) is not a channel based audio renderer but object based. So stereo vs. 5.1 vs. 7.1 in Windows settings is irrelevant and actually using those might mess it up, hence Windows reverting you to "stereo." Instead, the game you are playing or the movie you are watching must utilize its own Atmos engine. For instance Overwatch has its own Atmos for headphones preset, I think. (I don't have that game but that's what everyone says.) If your content does not include Atmos mixing, you won't actually get any of its benefits.

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #793 of 1,519
CooloutAC:

Below rant is my response to being called a troll, but something came to me before I posted it.

Have you ever had your hearing checked?

If you've got even a slight imbalance between left and right it would go a hell of a way to explaining why you're so definite on one side and everyone else is so definite on the other.

Do you wear closed headphones?

Even a slight hearing imbalance would be exasperated wearing closed headphones.

"Perfect" sound to me would sound "muffled, out of phase, wonky" to you if you put on headphones, but fine through speakers

Would sound even worse if the GSX was adding positional queues

Any chance at all you have a "weaker" ear on one side?

(if not and you're perfect - the rant below stands, and you suck :p)

I think we know who the real troll is now.

Bud

You hated the GSX
You loved the GSX
You returned the GSX
You still had them
You loved the GSX
You got rid of the GSX
You hate the GSX
Mix in sample rate
Mix in audio terms
Mix in LOUD SPEAKERS
BF1
BF1
ATMOS
ATMOS BF1 LOUD SPEAKERS
STEREO

Oooh - loved the "computer volume is at xx%, GSX volume is at yy%"

No

I'm not trolling - have tried to help you learn how the unit (GSX1200) you bought is meant to work

As did many others

When it didn't work for you I tried to explain how everyone's head/ears are different and the HRTF the GSX utilised may not work for you.

I suggested ways for you to find one that did work - linked vids that showed differences and gave a link that would let you try many 3rd party solutions.

Nup - you found a button mash with your onboard audio that worked.

Good for you - we're happy you found something you're happy with.

Job done...........................

Nup

You come back here and tell us we're all wrong, reviewers are all wrong, everyone is wrong... because... wait for it.......
Windows 10 crippled audio
Shills
"they don't want you to know"
drivers
every single game has positional audio for headphones
loud speakers
tru audio

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #794 of 1,519
I was under the impression Atmos (don't know about Sonic) is not a channel based audio renderer but object based. So stereo vs. 5.1 vs. 7.1 in Windows settings is irrelevant and actually using those might mess it up, hence Windows reverting you to "stereo." Instead, the game you are playing or the movie you are watching must utilize its own Atmos engine. For instance Overwatch has its own Atmos for headphones preset, I think. (I don't have that game but that's what everyone says.) If your content does not include Atmos mixing, you won't actually get any of its benefits.

Atmos for headphones is a channel based vss OR atmos renderer for atmos tracks. It's supposed to replace dolby headphones. Same goes for windows sonic. Both use proprietary algorithms. It reverts speakers setup to stereo by design because games are supposed to perform a "handshake" in order to output surround sound in the first place, except modern games base their output on windows' speaker setup and ignore the handshake. As for overwatch it has dolby atmos for headphones baked in and does NOT actually require any external renderer to work, meaning it'll work better WITHOUT dolby atmos for headphones enabled in windows (it says so when you enable the setting).

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #795 of 1,519
Atmos for headphones is a channel based vss OR atmos renderer for atmos tracks. It's supposed to replace dolby headphones. Same goes for windows sonic. Both use proprietary algorithms. It reverts speakers setup to stereo by design because games are supposed to perform a "handshake" in order to output surround sound in the first place, except modern games base their output on windows' speaker setup and ignore the handshake. As for overwatch it has dolby atmos for headphones baked in and does NOT actually require any external renderer to work, meaning it'll work better WITHOUT dolby atmos for headphones enabled in windows (it says so when you enable the setting).

Right, so what I mean is the game/movie/whatever needs its own Atmos for headphones mix, or as you put it the ability to "handshake," otherwise you don't really get Atmos. Is that right? That's what I have assumed. (I mentioned Overwatch as an example of how software can independently support some sort of VSS or 3D audio renderer without needing to set Windows to surround or needing any other equipment.)

When you say channel based or atmos renderer I'm sort of confused what that means though, I thought Atmos did surround in a different way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back