Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Dec 6, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #751 of 1,519
Sure, it's a fancy gadget but honestly the design is terrible.
Most irredeemable is that it just controls windows volume rather than internally like every other amp on the planet.
And then the display and leds and motion tracker makes it hella expensive while not being rather powerful even unlike other USB powered DAC/Amps - as I recall it doesn't even power some of Sennheisers headphones.

It's about being the right tool for the job. This was a purpose designed product; which is to add simulated surround sound to the headset market better than anything else has up to this point. For that, it wins big. If you want to power 300ohm headphones and/or have the ultimate fidelity for music, why even participate in this thread? The $160 I paid for a gaming tool seems perfectly fine. Just wait for it to go on sale again if you have a problem with the price.

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #752 of 1,519
It's about being the right tool for the job. This was a purpose designed product; which is to add simulated surround sound to the headset market better than anything else has up to this point. For that, it wins big. If you want to power 300ohm headphones and/or have the ultimate fidelity for music, why even participate in this thread? The $160 I paid for a gaming tool seems perfectly fine. Just wait for it to go on sale again if you have a problem with the price.

But it's prized as an audiophile product and thus outside of the headset market.
It targets audiophile gamers and it falls short.

The VSS is a feature and the one reason anyone should buy it as it's otherwise a bad product and that's the part I'm complaining about.

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #753 of 1,519
Well, after saying that, it sounds like your only real problem with it is that it control the windows master volume and the apparent marketing -- but I don't see it as being heralded as anything other than a gaming product.

Pros:
Best VSS in the industry
Tiny footprint
Substantial volume wheel with stop points
Hand recognition for lights
Simplicity in use

Cons:
Price (but can be alleviated by sales / coupons, like what I did)
Acts as master volume in Windows (I personally don't have a problem with this)
Isn't a HiFi amp (wrong tool for the job, supplies plenty for semi-efficient / more consumer-oriented headphones which are likely being used by gamers)

It seems like I'm very much apart of the target market (male in late 20s, gainfully employed, audiophile, gaming geek) and really enjoy it. It's a step up from something like the Creative or Astro VSS, and outperforms the others (with ease) for music.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #754 of 1,519
So I have the GSX1000, and I was never was really impressed with the sounds stage/directional audio performance, so I ordered some AKG 702 headphones because I have read it has great sounds stage. However, I have read the 702s require a somewhat powerful audio source in order to drive them, and I know that GSX1000 is not very powerful.
So, I'm wondering, for gaming should I use my Schitt Magni/Modi stack with software directional audio enabled, or the lower powered GSX1000? I'm trying to get the best directional audio experience.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #755 of 1,519
What were you using before? There's a big performance difference with the GSX 1000 between my Teaks and the PC37X.

My first step into HiFi was the Q701with an O2 amp for gaming. They are fantastic for the purpose, so I'm going to guess that the 702 will serve you well. I'd try it first with the GSX, get an amp if you need it.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #756 of 1,519
Hate to break it to you, but everyone's head/ears etc are built differently.

Every single one of the VSS DSP's out there are built around whichever model they use for averaging their target.

Some people find different brands/models VSS solutions/implementations to be vastly different -

the GSX1000 obviously doesn't work best with YOUR head

the onboard solutions you've tried have been decent for YOUR head

Personally - I've yet to find a VSS that is any better than average for anything in the front 180 degrees, with anything in front of me being a muddy mess.
The GSX1000 has been the best I've found so far - still not perfect, but it reduced the muddy area from the full 180 down to about 120 degrees in front of me (about 30 forward left and right are now good)

If the onboard solution works for you - fantastic, that's awesome - think yourself very lucky.

Just keep in mind the fact that people come in all shapes and sizes - the VSS solutions try to cater for a varying spread of those, with varying degrees of success.
I'm an outlier on pretty much all of them - you may just be an outlier on the model the GSX uses.
The solution doesn't work for YOU - no need to beat the dead horse and ridicule those who it does work for,

true, everyones ears are different and have their own preferences. Instead of reading reviews I would suggest someone try the hardware out for themselves. That's what made me not trust any of these gaming audio reviews.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #757 of 1,519
Sure, it's a fancy gadget but honestly the design is terrible.
Most irredeemable is that it just controls windows volume rather than internally like every other amp on the planet.
And then the display and leds and motion tracker makes it hella expensive while not being rather powerful even unlike other USB powered DAC/Amps - as I recall it doesn't even power some of Sennheisers headphones.

I would have liked it to have custom level adjustment as option and a higher bit rate. and the price is ridiculous for what I consider a huge downgrade in audio quality, for a minor improvement in positional audio.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #758 of 1,519
So I have the GSX1000, and I was never was really impressed with the sounds stage/directional audio performance, so I ordered some AKG 702 headphones because I have read it has great sounds stage. However, I have read the 702s require a somewhat powerful audio source in order to drive them, and I know that GSX1000 is not very powerful.
So, I'm wondering, for gaming should I use my Schitt Magni/Modi stack with software directional audio enabled, or the lower powered GSX1000? I'm trying to get the best directional audio experience.

If you wanted that you should've gotten an AD-700X.
But the GSX will be fine as long as you're not a loud freak and other VSS solutions are not worthwhile.

As far as I researched only CMSS-3D would be worth considering.

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #759 of 1,519
Dec 7, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #760 of 1,519
What were you using before?
My first step into HiFi was the Q701with an O2 amp for gaming. They are fantastic for the purpose, so I'm going to guess that the 702 will serve you well. I'd try it first with the GSX, get an amp if you need it.

Im currently using Sen HD598, not really helping me much in game when playing BF1. But I will try the 702 before giving up on the GSX1000.
Thanks yeah I will just need to try it, and see what works best.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #761 of 1,519
Im currently using Sen HD598, not really helping me much in game when playing BF1. But I will try the 702 before giving up on the GSX1000.
Thanks yeah I will just need to try it, and see what works best.

GSX-1000 is designed for one thing, HRTF. It's not gonna magically make things sound better. In fact it will make many things sound worse or unnatural due to changes in frequency curves. If the surround sound doesn't work for your ears then it's really no point of using it. Test out a 7.1 file and see if you can pin point the speaker locations. For music, I use it only for live performances sometime as it adds to that "live" feel. But you should really get a proper DAC for music. For movies and even netflix, that HRTF really help to recreate the theatre experience. For gaming, I've been playing Battlefront 2 with it, sound absolutely amazing when paired with a Magni 3 and HE-400i (speaker size set to medium in game)! I'd recommend a planar to go with it though due to lower distortions in all frequencies and faster driver responses with less decays. I've been using it + Magni 3 as preamp for my SphereX speakers as well. To my surprise it even worked with my stereo SphereX speakers to a certain degree simulating side speakers but not rear speakers to accurate positions.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #762 of 1,519
GSX-1000 is designed for one thing, HRTF. It's not gonna magically make things sound better. In fact it will make many things sound worse or unnatural due to changes in frequency curves. If the surround sound doesn't work for your ears then it's really no point of using it. Test out a 7.1 file and see if you can pin point the speaker locations. For music, I use it only for live performances sometime as it adds to that "live" feel. But you should really get a proper DAC for music. For movies and even netflix, that HRTF really help to recreate the theatre experience. For gaming, I've been playing Battlefront 2 with it, sound absolutely amazing when paired with a Magni 3 and HE-400i (speaker size set to medium in game)! I'd recommend a planar to go with it though due to lower distortions in all frequencies and faster driver responses with less decays. I've been using it + Magni 3 as preamp for my SphereX speakers as well. To my surprise it even worked with my stereo SphereX speakers to a certain degree simulating side speakers but not rear speakers to accurate positions.
See, I do also own a Magni/Modi 2 stack, should I be using my stack over my GSX1000 for gaming? Would my stack offer a better HRTF experience? I would test it out, but Im travelling for work right now.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #764 of 1,519
Stack plays audio as it's fed to it
GSX takes multi-channel audio that's fed to it and converts into something that gives the sense of surround sound through headphones.

Some games have a version of that built in - that will work with the stack.

Other (most) games have a "5.1", "7.1" or "surround" setting meant for multiple speakers
GSX will take that audio and apply it's magic to let you experience the "surround sound" through headphones

The stack doesn't have the "magic" bit.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #765 of 1,519
Stack plays audio as it's fed to it
GSX takes multi-channel audio that's fed to it and converts into something that gives the sense of surround sound through headphones.

Some games have a version of that built in - that will work with the stack.

Other (most) games have a "5.1", "7.1" or "surround" setting meant for multiple speakers
GSX will take that audio and apply it's magic to let you experience the "surround sound" through headphones

The stack doesn't have the "magic" bit.

Ugaaa, I understand now, thank you. Ok I guess I was just never blow away by my GSX1000 becaus the headphones I'm using (Sen HD598, Grado sr60e) simply don't have a large sound stage, therefor I don't get the full benifit of the GSX1000's 'magic'. I will need to wait for my AKG 702s to arrive, as I have read their sound stage is large.

Alright, great, thanks guys, this has been informative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back