Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Dec 8, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #766 of 1,519
The 598's will.

Sure you're feeding the GSX 5.1 audio and Windows is registering it as a 5.1 device?

Do you hear the difference when you turn it off 5.1?

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #767 of 1,519
The 598's will.

Sure you're feeding the GSX 5.1 audio and Windows is registering it as a 5.1 device?

Do you hear the difference when you turn it off 5.1?

I hear a slight difference,
for example, in windows I have two 'GSX1000' options in my 'playback devices' options, I choose 'GSX1000' that has 7.1 surround sound configured/enabled. Then, if I play a game, or watch a 5.1/7.1 youtube video, I only just slightly can hear a difference between front L/R compared to rear L/R. Another example, if I watch this youtube video, I can't hear any difference between 'LEFT' compared to 'LEFT Surround' (same deal with the right side): .
This is what is confusing for me, I know its working, but just not very well, I just figured my headphones had a small sound stage...
In the settings of Battlefield 1, I choose 'surround sound' and 'hardphones' as my audio outputs, I have also chosen 'large speakers', but I did not hear much of a difference.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #768 of 1,519
Ugaaa, I understand now, thank you. Ok I guess I was just never blow away by my GSX1000 becaus the headphones I'm using (Sen HD598, Grado sr60e) simply don't have a large sound stage, therefor I don't get the full benifit of the GSX1000's 'magic'. I will need to wait for my AKG 702s to arrive, as I have read their sound stage is large.

Alright, great, thanks guys, this has been informative.

That's not how anything of this works.
If the GSX is lackluster it's because it doesn't receive 7.1 signal and thus just remixes 2.0 rather than downmixing 7.1 to 2.0, which is the advantage of the GSX over other solutions.

The GSX widens the soundstage and make directional sounds less fatiguing, it doesn't need any particular headphones to do so well.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #769 of 1,519
for example, in windows I have two 'GSX1000' options in my 'playback devices' options, I choose 'GSX1000' that has 7.1 surround sound configured/enabled. Then, if I play a game, or watch a 5.1/7.1 youtube video, I only just slightly can hear a difference between front L/R compared to rear L/R. Another example, if I watch this youtube video, I can't hear any difference between 'LEFT' compared to 'LEFT Surround' (same deal with the right side): .
This is what is confusing for me, I know its working, but just not very well, I just figured my headphones had a small sound stage...
In the settings of Battlefield 1, I choose 'surround sound' and 'hardphones' as my audio outputs, I have also chosen 'large speakers', but I did not hear much of a difference.

Again, that doesn't provide 7.1 signal which is what the GSX craves.
That video is already processed.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #770 of 1,519
Ugaaa, I understand now, thank you. Ok I guess I was just never blow away by my GSX1000 becaus the headphones I'm using (Sen HD598, Grado sr60e) simply don't have a large sound stage, therefor I don't get the full benifit of the GSX1000's 'magic'. I will need to wait for my AKG 702s to arrive, as I have read their sound stage is large.

Alright, great, thanks guys, this has been informative.

Whut in the whut? The hd598 have great soundstage (the original open version i mean). I'm also playing with a gsp 300 and it sounds great too, especially in destiny 2 where the surround mix is especially well made.

To hear the difference you have to use a true surround source (NOT youtube videos) with the gsx set to 7.1 both in windows (careful with the famous bug that resets the settings after a reboot) and on the gsx itself. You also need to make sure you're using right devices in windows, NOT gsx 1000 headset but speakers. If i have time, i'll record how destiny 2 sounds with the gsx.

Aaaand, here it is:

For info, this is already processed by the gsx it is what i hear when i play games. To hear the surround you'll need to use a stereo headset (and i mean REAL stereo, not gsx stereo).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #773 of 1,519

Youtube videos can't output 5.1/7.1 sound signals, it only output in stereo the last time I checked. On top of certain headsets might work better for HRTF, HRTF works differently for different people because of differences in head size and ear shapes. Most consumer HRTF work by using the "average" HRTF curves. That average and the details of implementation varies from different manufacturers as well. I'd try it on a planar before giving up on it though.

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #775 of 1,519
No one yet to find the solution the the Surround reset ? pff .... I sent another message to Sennheiser technical support.

Don't even bother using stereo man. Music sound better with 7.1 as well with gsx.

I don't hear any diff at all either. Noone does. The video is fake. Like others have said you need a real surround source. That vid is in stereo. You should be checking that in the windows audio settings yourself. The video is maybe a meant as a a tutorial on how to do it yourself.

As for 5.1 video sources that stream, only games I know of are battlefield and battlefront games. As for movies netflix app has 5.1, but it overrides any video or audio enhancements which severely lessens the experience. I was not impressed with the gsx for movies. I wonder what audio sources do other users watch movies with on their pc? can you even stream in 5.1 through a browser. Retail hd or blue ray dvds and which media player?

Dec 11, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #776 of 1,519
It may be worth your time having a play with the tools in this thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...nd_virtualization_on/?st=jaudn9g4&sh=5298eeb8

It may help you find a VSS solution that works best for you

What works best for me is battlefield 1 set to 7.1, large speakers, windows set to stereo, sonic studio on. Which is similar to thx tru studio.

Depends on the game and the headphones is conclusion I've come to when it comes to good positional audio. I starting to believe nothing else is really needed when it comes to these big budget ea games. Not even sure sonic studio or thx is needed except for some slight quality enhancements.

I've tried dolby atmos for headphones, but again it would depend on the game. Its basically only stereo. In fact dolby atmos for heapdhones automatically changes everything to stereo. Same goes for windows sonic. There is no real magic to make a game surround unless the game developers mapped out surround sounds themselves or have created stereo sounds to give a surround effect. Let me use the word positional audio instead, cause thats really what we are after. 3rd party solutions can't really provide something the source doesn't already have. Which again will work better on some headphones then others. I could put the onboard to 7.1, but then I get that tinny effect I disliked about surround headphones. The only games I need surround in are bf1 and titanfall 2 and battlefront 2 and they apparently have built in solutions.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #777 of 1,519
From my tests the past couple of days, I've discovered the following:

1. The guy saying the GSX is useless is very wrong, and also unaware that Sennheiser's approach is unique
2. Paired with my PC37x, I'm getting an excellent "out of head" experience. Direction is much easier to pick up on in my game of choice (Destiny 2)
3. The 2.0 mode is actually pretty good. The GSX easily powers this headset and my E-MU Teaks
4. Setup is cake
5. Sennheiser's attention to detail is great... like how when I move my hand towards it, the backlighting amplifies. Awesome.

I wouldn't use this thing for music (in 7.1 mode, that is) and see this as expanding upon the already great gaming experience of the PC37x.

I would. Ever since windows 7 and thx trustudio, I prefer music in 7.1, has a much fuller sound for me. Just sounds better to me, not sure why anyone would go back to stereo. Even with my external sound system I've always preferred music in 7.1. This is not positional audio, just immerisive music so it works for me. But some songs do sound programmed for 5.1, some underground artists do this. And you know big brother don't want that, same reason they removed the advanced tag editor from wmp in win 7 years back.

But ever since windows 10, I can't get stereo audio streams to upmix to surround. Its either a thx vs sonic thing, or more then likely just a windows 10 issue. Since windows 10 audio drivers have been atrocious. Fascist apps like netflix override enhancements. now it seems they really want to control all our video and audio enhancements. We have way less options then we use to. They think we are using phones!

Maybe they've read one too many forum posts like the above posters, who listen to music only in stereo, because thats what they've been told they are supposed to do..... so now we are forced to.... its a shame.

Maybe thats the problem with the reset too users are complaining about? Why in the world would you ever switch the gsx to stereo? It sounds like crap. take off reverb if you need for music but keep it in 7.1 for godsakes!! :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #778 of 1,519
I just have to reiterate, and i Know its subjective, that when using the GSX 1200 music sounded better in 7.1. With the GSX you are not losing any quality or eq setting when switching to surround from stereo. You don't lose any bass or anything, in fact you gain more bass and fullness. the only thing that happens is the sound goes from all around you, in front or behind you. To just inside your head with no soundstage at all. Its horrible. GSX give you the ability to listen to the music in surround. USE IT> its a gift. I preferred no reverb and balanced or front surround settings and music eq.

Some modern musicians even design music for upmix listening. I use to get lyrics form inside the downloaded mp3s themselves, form the artists, and hear effects only in rear speakers with realtek upmixing. before Microsoft took those abilities away.

I think everyone with gsx should contact microsoft about the reset issue if its indeed an issue.

Because there indeed intentional surround sound sabotage inside microsoft from day 1 with windows 10 with realtek drivers. I don't think they are just ignoring it. Cause they even took away the option to "play stereo sounds through surround speakers" as they called it. I forget the option checkbox, basically a stereo upmix. I think it was called SPEAKER FILL. Seems it was removed in windows 10? I have the alc1220 chip. it makes me very angry. And they give 3rd party mobile apps like netflix, full control of your audio and video enhancements that override custom settings.

I remember this album having crazy effects with the speaker fill option on. we really going backwards now

"Remember. half the people we talk to on these forums, are only posing as Americans." - gonna make this my caption lol.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #779 of 1,519
I've tried dolby atmos for headphones, but again it would depend on the game. Its basically only stereo. In fact dolby atmos for heapdhones automatically changes everything to stereo.

Maybe thats the problem with the reset too users are complaining about? Why in the world would you ever switch the gsx to stereo?

3rd party solutions can't really provide something the source doesn't already have.

What works best for me is battlefield 1 set to 7.1, large speakers, windows set to stereo, sonic studio on. Which is similar to thx tru studio.

I give up.

You're either:

unable/unwilling to understand what numerous people are taking their time to try and explain to you to try and help you and instead revert to and push your "knoweledge" (which is obviously flawed)
have terms, definitions and concepts that are "incorrect" to reality
are missing the basic idea of what VSS is, how it works and how to setup the whole chain to utilise it
a troll

We've got people in this forum who are experts covering all aspects of audio, tech, hardware, media and content fields - if the was any "conspiracy" out there to downgrade our options or experience it'd definitely be noted and common knowledge.

Maybe take a deep breath, sit back and consider the slight chance that when you're the sole person disagreeing constantly with dozens of people regarding very basic concepts and specifications that you might be the one on the wrong track.

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #780 of 1,519
Lol - I did a google of "CooloutAC" (to try and see if there's anything that could help me/us help him)

I reckon he's honest in his questions and queries

I don't think he's trolling

I reckon we have ZERO chance of letting him learn anything

I reckon he has ZERO chance of taking in anything we may mention or suggest

CooloutAC - High five dude - wish you all the best and hope you get/are satisfied with whatever you do in the future

The GSX (that you hated/loved/hated/sold/kept/sold) might have been not for you (or anyone, or awesome, or a scam, or a conspiracy)

I just think we're on a different wavelength

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_urSQl6wUA...S9Hg3vp0/s400/airflow_TT+helmet+backwards.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back