Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
May 19, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #421 of 1,519
Screws with what ??

I realised what I noticed, evidently running in it 2.0 HD makes it louder.
I had no idea it did that nor can I comprehend why it would do that.
Untitled.png

May 20, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #425 of 1,519
That's normal, because how the 7.1 works it does lower then volume output.

Yeah, that's how analog 7.1 works because obviously there's more channels and each channel needs power.
But there is no analog 7.1 on this device, only digital 7.1 and analog 2.0.

Not to mention that the loudness increase only is present in 24 bit mode, or HD as Sennheiser is calling it.
2.0@16 bit is in fact less loud than 2.0@24 bit.

May 20, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #426 of 1,519
Yeah, that's how analog 7.1 works because obviously there's more channels and each channel needs power.
But there is no analog 7.1 on this device, only digital 7.1 and analog 2.0.

Not to mention that the loudness increase only is present in 24 bit mode, or HD as Sennheiser is calling it.
2.0@16 bit is in fact less loud than 2.0@24 bit.

Its all Digital USB device. No analog
The lower volume is because of the Virtual Surround sound Engine and how it creates a virtual surround sound. To create a 7.1 signal so it plays back into a stereo headphone each sound needs to be lowered and higher and a delay to give the impression you playing in a much open soundstage.

If this didn't happen and 7.1 played just like HD 2.0 You would never tell the difference between what rear and what's in front.

May 21, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #427 of 1,519
Its all Digital USB device. No analog
The lower volume is because of the Virtual Surround sound Engine and how it creates a virtual surround sound. To create a 7.1 signal so it plays back into a stereo headphone each sound needs to be lowered and higher and a delay to give the impression you playing in a much open soundstage.

If this didn't happen and 7.1 played just like HD 2.0 You would never tell the difference between what rear and what's in front.

Guess that makes sense, seeing as all the shenanigans is disabled in 24 bit mode and rather than dealing with a general loudness difference with toggling VSS on the device Sennheiser put the loudness difference on the 16/24 bit setting.

So I guess that settles it, running the device in 16 bit mode screws with all sounds.

May 21, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #428 of 1,519
Guess that makes sense, seeing as all the shenanigans is disabled in 24 bit mode and rather than dealing with a general loudness difference with toggling VSS on the device Sennheiser put the loudness difference on the 16/24 bit setting.

So I guess that settles it, running the device in 16 bit mode screws with all sounds.

Doesn't screw with anything? The Difference between 16bit and 24bit is hardly noticeable. Hell I have tried my best to notice the differnce with my own Music Pink Floyd Ripped into Pure Flac 24bit 96 vs 16bit MP3 320 and apart from the file size they really isn't any difference.

May 21, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #429 of 1,519
Doesn't screw with anything? The Difference between 16bit and 24bit is hardly noticeable. Hell I have tried my best to notice the differnce with my own Music Pink Floyd Ripped into Pure Flac 24bit 96 vs 16bit MP3 320 and apart from the file size they really isn't any difference.

It's the device screwing with the sound depending on the Windows setting for sample rate and bit depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back