Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
May 9, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #391 of 1,519
So if you have games that are Stereo , would it still up-mix to 5.1 or 7.1 ? would it be always 7.1 ? because if so then it will be the best out of all. nothing else is up-mixing .

Did you guys check games that are Stereo only ? or only 5.1/7.1 supported games ? what if the game is 5.1 , what will happened if it supposed to GSX virtual surround 7.1 ?

It seems to up mix from my testing, am not sure of any games I have recently played that are stereo only though have any names and I can test. I did run this stereo only Atmos headphone test though and GSX wins for me.

The GSX works with 5.1 also - Squad for example is 5.1 only atm same with CSGO

May 9, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #392 of 1,519
It seems to up mix from my testing, am not sure of any games I have recently played that are stereo only though have any names and I can test. I did run this stereo only Atmos headphone test though and GSX wins for me.

The GSX works with 5.1 also - Squad for example is 5.1 only atm same with CSGO

So the GSX is the winner over SBX , Asus Sonic Studio Virtual Surround , Windows Atmos , Windows Sonic ? I just want to buy it already .....

Would you suggest using Reverb or not ? Should I use even use Reverb for games or movies or both ?

What software do you use to Record this and what are the settings if you can post screenshot . with what sound card you are recording ?

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #393 of 1,519
I read the whole thread.

General consensus is that GSX is more natural but less accurate over all than SBX.
If you play competitively then get SBX sound card

Based on the video above to me it sounds like it is tad muffled and reverb sounds even worse than on SBX. (might be because full reverb is used instead of 1/3)

May 9, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #394 of 1,519
So the GSX is the winner over SBX , Asus Sonic Studio Virtual Surround , Windows Atmos , Windows Sonic ? I just want to buy it already .....

Would you suggest using Reverb or not ? Should I use even use Reverb for games or movies or both ?

What software do you use to Record this and what are the settings if you can post screenshot . with what sound card you are recording ?

Reverb is a personal thing you either hate it or love it. I hate it but it does sound great in GTA 5 lol

To record the GSX is a tricky one because you need to use a 3.5 to 3.5 cable and plug the headphone out from the GSX to a soundcard or Onboard if it supports Line-In and record that device. I use OBS for the recording.

May 9, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #395 of 1,519
I read the whole thread.

General consensus is that GSX is more natural but less accurate over all than SBX.
If you play competitively then get SBX sound card

Based on the video above to me it sounds like it is tad muffled and reverb sounds even worse than on SBX. (might be because full reverb is used instead of 1/3)

One thing to note about all my recording is dont use them for sound quality because how the GSX needs to be recorded it looses alot of quality but you can get a idea of its surround sound feature..
Recording the SBX is much easier and it keeps its quality because of StereoMix built in..

I play CSGO competitive Rank Global/Supreme and for me the GSX does a better job at opening up the soundstage of the game..

May 9, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #396 of 1,519
One thing to note about all my recording is dont use them for sound quality because how the GSX needs to be recorded it looses alot of quality but you can get a idea of its surround sound feature..
Recording the SBX is much easier and it keeps its quality because of StereoMix built in..

I play CSGO competitive Rank Global/Supreme and for me the GSX does a better job at opening up the soundstage of the game..

Could you test Bladestorm nightmare. it's the only game I currently was testing and it's stereo all the times. I would like to see if the gsx changes something and upmix from stereo

also could you post all your GSX settings so when I'll have it I will try them ?
Thanks

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #398 of 1,519
GSX is always on 7.1.
Why would I use stereo?

The EAX alchemy hack allows directsound 3D and EAX support to run through Alchemy on non creative cards.

tdm_eax_anycard.zip

Unfortunately the file was buried in some forum, I think posted on sendspace and that won't appear in google.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39499&start=60

http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/28-creative-alchemy-universal/

here

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18249-tutorial-how-to-setup-eax-for-tdm-on-any-soundcard/

w.e I uploaded it here for you plebs.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkQqWXPLNfg-gVrn-qpPJtCPmep0

That's the newest version we should be using ?

How do I know which games I use it ?

Can I use any games that has only stereo configuration ?

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #399 of 1,519
So I got sick of switching between 2.0 and 7.1 manually in Windows and the registry solution requires a restart.
It was simple enough to create a macro to do it (with only keyboard strokes)

Type "control mmsys.cpl sounds" in CMD opens Sounds.
Then you just use arrows and tab as you expect, use alt+tab to get to Advanced in Properties to set Default Format.

Add a few extra up/down arrow strokes in the Default Format so that it never gets out of sync.
Tab to close, type exit in CMD, all done.

I used Corsairs CUE, set all delays to 50 ms.
Figured you guys might be interested, after all running it in 7.1 screws with all sounds in case you didn't know.

May 12, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #400 of 1,519
So I got sick of switching between 2.0 and 7.1 manually in Windows and the registry solution requires a restart.
It was simple enough to create a macro to do it (with only keyboard strokes)

Type "control mmsys.cpl sounds" in CMD opens Sounds.
Then you just use arrows and tab as you expect, use alt+tab to get to Advanced in Properties to set Default Format.

Add a few extra up/down arrow strokes in the Default Format so that it never gets out of sync.
Tab to close, type exit in CMD, all done.

I used Corsairs CUE, set all delays to 50 ms.
Figured you guys might be interested, after all running it in 7.1 screws with all sounds in case you didn't know.

Screws with what ??

May 14, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #402 of 1,519
Does anyone here watch Bluray movies ? Like the one that has ATMOS or Dolby TrueHD 7.1 ? If using the Windows 10 Creator Atmos 7.1 I have weird crackling like because the Sound output is not 24bit 48Khz and only 16bit 48Khz . I had the same when trying to watching Atmos movies with Creative ZXR set to 6 Speakers in the PowerDVD menu.

When using Out Of your Head which is 32bit 48Khz I don't have those weird noises, but I don't think it support spatial sound. I also remember than using only Stereo or Headphones in powerDVD does not have the issue.

The output from the supported movies is LPCM 48Khz / 24 bits and I also chose 8 Speakers in the PowerDVD settings.

What can I do ? Atmos give Atmos support but lower quality for Atmos supported content and it gives some small crackling in some parts of the movie. it's on specific places and not random. if I repeat the same place the noise is exactly the same. even when they talk, not necessarily heavy bass/treble music effects.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #403 of 1,519
Guys,

I asked Dorin the creator of Out Of Your Head about how the sound works with his program and he reply :

"Hi Yossi,

Out Of Your Head processing is essentially real-time binaural processing. It is "spatial" since it's giving you the sound of speakers in a room.

The concept is similar to Dolby Headphone, DTS Headphone-X, Dolby Atmos for Headphones, etc. It's just the implementation is completely different. "

I think this should be better than Dolby Atmos because it gives better quality as 32bit 48Khz instead 16bit 48Khz . the problem is to find the right present for movies at most if not for games, because Atmos movies sound really good with this but I can't find the right perfect one that I like.

May 16, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #404 of 1,519
Guys,

I asked Dorin the creator of Out Of Your Head about how the sound works with his program and he reply :

"Hi Yossi,

Out Of Your Head processing is essentially real-time binaural processing. It is "spatial" since it's giving you the sound of speakers in a room.

The concept is similar to Dolby Headphone, DTS Headphone-X, Dolby Atmos for Headphones, etc. It's just the implementation is completely different. "

I think this should be better than Dolby Atmos because it gives better quality as 32bit 48Khz instead 16bit 48Khz . the problem is to find the right present for movies at most if not for games, because Atmos movies sound really good with this but I can't find the right perfect one that I like.

Technically you can't hear the difference of 16 bit vs 24 bit and I suspect the difference in frequency is miniscule.
Emphasis on technically, what happens if you play 24 bit content with only 16 bit output? Will the "compression" screw with the quality? Dunno.

Read up on Out Of Your Head and from what I gather it only remixes 2.0 as opposed to downmixing surround which is bad so don't get your hype up just yet.

May 16, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #405 of 1,519
Posting it also here (apart from overclock.net forums)
btw, here are test files recorded by win10 Voice Recorder using "What U Hear" on SB E5 (67%), SBX G5(67%), Windows Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic, Razer Surround, Out Of Your Head Game preset
while playing 7.1 test on this page (first 13 seconds only) https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html

(No need to download the files, just click on the icon and it will play)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9hEYFLHB-VbR3VuLTdVV3l1ems

Maybe somebody with GSX can do same test and provide recorded file

While listening on HD558 based on purely that test:

Windows Sonic is absolutely the worst, channel separation is like.. none ?

Windows Dolby Atmos side and rear channels are hardly separated but it's better than sonic

Razer Surround channel separation is fine but everything is bassy and muffled and "too close" for my liking

Out Of Your Head is clean but tad low volume and rear channels are high volume

Creative SBX E5/G5, channel separation is great although sound is more metallic/reverby but clean pretty much

As for virtual speakers distance from my head it seems as follows (from closest to farthest)
Windows Sonic
Razer Surround
Windows Dolby Atmos
SB E5/G5
Out of your head

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back