Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Apr 17, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #376 of 1,519
I did it with my Meier Audio Jazz desktop amp and with a Fiio E12a portable. Both work just fine. The 7.1 signal gets even more impressive.

Can you show me how you connected it and set it up with the GSX ?

so if it works I need to decide,  I would want AMP anyway because it will improve my sound quality anyway right ? better than Asus Strix DLX Raid, and I will also be able to use Atmos anyway with it.

I am just confused.

if I only buy AMP how will I connect it to the computer ?
if I buy DAC/AMP combine how will I connect it ?

I mean do I need to buy which item for what purpose ?

For the GSX I only need AMP right ?

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #377 of 1,519
  Can you show me how you connected it and set it up with the GSX ?

so if it works I need to decide,  I would want AMP anyway because it will improve my sound quality anyway right ? better than Asus Strix DLX Raid, and I will also be able to use Atmos anyway with it.

I am just confused.

if I only buy AMP how will I connect it to the computer ?
if I buy DAC/AMP combine how will I connect it ?

I mean do I need to buy which item for what purpose ?

For the GSX I only need AMP right ?

GSX 1000 > Headpone out  >Meier Jazz line in. The Jazz is only an amp, but a very powerfull one. It can drive the likes of HD650/800 or the Beyerdynamic DT990/600  Ohm easily. 
No DAC needed, the GSX 1000 is your DAC. You take the analog headphone out to have the virtual surround on the headphone connected to the additional amp. The line out of the GSX 1000 only provides a Stereo signal. 

I hope this helps. For the amp look there:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/574391/review-of-meier-audio-corda-jazz-with-technology-upgrade

The thread starter uses a DT990 600 Ohm.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #378 of 1,519

GSX 1000 > Headpone out  >Meier Jazz line in. The Jazz is only an amp, but a very powerfull one. It can drive the likes of HD650/800 or the Beyerdynamic DT990/600  Ohm easily. 
No DAC needed, the GSX 1000 is your DAC. You take the analog headphone out to have the virtual surround on the headphone connected to the additional amp. The line out of the GSX 1000 only provides a Stereo signal. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/574391/review-of-meier-audio-corda-jazz-with-technology-upgrade

Thanks !

that explains a lot I guess, just need to read again before I order .

as someone suggest JDSLABS Objective2  would that be better than the Meier audio corda ? because he said I need natural sound so it won't change the quality because of the GSX DAC

And if I would like to watch movies I could always connect to the Asus Strix using the AMP right ? so it's good for both worlds.

Now I just need to decide if Atmos is better or equal to GSX... that's the only issue.

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #379 of 1,519

Wow great post thanks.. Do you get any noise from double amping? How well does the GSX surround sound carry over?

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #381 of 1,519
he doesn't use both the same time. he said he has both and they work fine by their own. no one would double amp... ever, that's my guess at least , I wouldn't do it.

Double amping is exactly what I tried to demonstrate you with my pictures. It is absolute OK to do that as long as the output of amp number one does not ovrepower the input of amp number two.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #382 of 1,519
Guys , Help please

I am not sure what to use in Potplayer.

Let's say I have Stereo MP3,FLAC files  and MKV DTS-HD MA  5.1/7.1

When using 5.1 I must select use Same As Input  or else it won't upmix to all the speakers and only be Stereo from my Logitech 5500 surround. for example running from Windows 10 Grove Music app it works fine because there are no settings there.  

What do I choose when I'm using the Headphones with Atmos/Sonic or GSX enabled ? Same as Input or   3/2/2+LFE - 7.1 Channels ?  When playing 5.1 or 7.1  movies it sound the same when using both Same as Input or 7.1 in the potplayer settings.  but how can I be sure ?  I prefer not to change every time when using Speaker or Headphones  so Same as Input would be the easy choice . but I'm not sure if it's the correct one.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #383 of 1,519
Hello everyone I have a pair of akg k702 and I've seen many times the gsx 1000 won't drive them but what does that actually mean?

The sound quality will be poor?

Is this correct, the gsx output is 1V RMS @ 32 Ω and the akg need 3.5v

I'm currently using the Asus phoebus to power them but I'm seeing mixed opinions on it, some people say it will do the job but u won't get the best results from the headphones and others say it's just enough for the akg's

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #384 of 1,519
Hello everyone I have a pair of akg k702 and I've seen many times the gsx 1000 won't drive them but what does that actually mean?

The sound quality will be poor?

Is this correct, the gsx output is 1V RMS @ 32 Ω and the akg need 3.5v

I'm currently using the Asus phoebus to power them but I'm seeing mixed opinions on it, some people say it will do the job but u won't get the best results from the headphones and others say it's just enough for the akg's

Underpowered headphones will mostly just not get loud enough.
I'd also guess it'll change the sound, toning the bass down seeing as lower frequencies requires more power... but that's for someone more knowledgeable than me to answer.

If you push an amp too hard it will distort and start clipping - 'course that's not the case with the GSX seeing as it outputs 100% volume all the time.

May 5, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #386 of 1,519
May 6, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #388 of 1,519
Alright guys, how is this sound card better than for example SB Omni ?
I read entire thread and several people mention hiss, bad quality input (mic) and that SBX is better, so why actually spend 200 when you can get Omni for 50 ?

Also, people who compared it to BlasterX G5, did you use surround 67 ? I mean exactly 67 because that is confirmed to be the sweet spot for G5.

May 6, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #389 of 1,519
Alright guys, how is this sound card better than for example SB Omni ?
I read entire thread and several people mention hiss, bad quality input (mic) and that SBX is better, so why actually spend 200 when you can get Omni for 50 ?

Also, people who compared it to BlasterX G5, did you use surround 67 ? I mean exactly 67 because that is confirmed to be the sweet spot for G5.

Hello I have only seen one report of hissing I don't have any issues with my unit.
Mic I dont use has I own a USB Snowball so cant comment on that.

I did upgrade from a SBX so I do have a good bit of experience. The GSX surround sound simply can not be matched tbh the only downside I can give the GSX is price I feel around £150 max sound be its price point.

I stayed away from virtual surround sound for so long because they all have this echo effect Reverb some much worst than others, the SBX is also quite bad for this. Its like you playing inside a hallway.

The reason I spent £200 and it was a gamble on the GSX is because Sennheiser sales promise "Sennheiser Binaural Rendering Engine. The groundbreaking 7.1 Virtual Surround"

And imo they not wrong for me it blows everything away that I have personally tried over 5 months in and am still blown away by games surround sound.. Truth be told if this unit broke tomorrow I would buy again at £200
Until something comes along better the £200 is a premium price that can not be matched at this moment!!

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #390 of 1,519
Hello I have only seen one report of hissing I don't have any issues with my unit.
Mic I dont use has I own a USB Snowball so cant comment on that.

I did upgrade from a SBX so I do have a good bit of experience. The GSX surround sound simply can not be matched tbh the only downside I can give the GSX is price I feel around £150 max sound be its price point.

I stayed away from virtual surround sound for so long because they all have this echo effect Reverb some much worst than others, the SBX is also quite bad for this. Its like you playing inside a hallway.

The reason I spent £200 and it was a gamble on the GSX is because Sennheiser sales promise "Sennheiser Binaural Rendering Engine. The groundbreaking 7.1 Virtual Surround"

And imo they not wrong for me it blows everything away that I have personally tried over 5 months in and am still blown away by games surround sound.. Truth be told if this unit broke tomorrow I would buy again at £200
Until something comes along better the £200 is a premium price that can not be matched at this moment!!

So if you have games that are Stereo , would it still up-mix to 5.1 or 7.1 ? would it be always 7.1 ? because if so then it will be the best out of all. nothing else is up-mixing .

Did you guys check games that are Stereo only ? or only 5.1/7.1 supported games ? what if the game is 5.1 , what will happened if it supposed to GSX virtual surround 7.1 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back