Sennheiser Gains New MOMENTUM
Sep 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #392 of 461
Quote:
+1 regarding the Momentum-Amperior comparisons.

I wonder if the Momentum is more accurate than the B&W P5, they seem to have similar coloration.

I do want to hear Momentum as I favor a moderate bass emphasis. I had some free time this afternoon and visited Best Buy looking for Momentum (not in their system yet).  While there, I thought I would listen again to some of their expanded selection which now includes AKG and Audio Technica.  While the bass was light for my taste, I actually preferred the overall sound of the Roc Nation Aviators to most of Best Buy's offerings, including the B&W P5.

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #393 of 461
Quote:
I do want to hear Momentum as I favor a moderate bass emphasis. I had some free time this afternoon and visited Best Buy looking for Momentum (not in their system yet).  While there, I thought I would listen again to some of their expanded selection which now includes AKG and Audio Technica.  While the bass was light for my taste, I actually preferred the overall sound of the Roc Nation Aviators to most of Best Buy's offerings, including the B&W P5.

Definitely a welcome outlook! Though, I for one prefer the minimalist/retro theme over the aviator theme, at any rate I hope the Momentum is more accurate than any of the mass market offerings.

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #395 of 461
Quote:

As much as I'm enjoying the MOMENTUM, my sonic preferences lean more toward the Amperior. The comfort, though...for me the MOMENTUM is far more comfortable than the Amperior (or any of my other on-ears), and enough so that I'm grabbing the MOMENTUM more often the Amperior (or the DT 1350 or M-80) lately.

That said, if I'm listening more critically (like I'm evaluating some other piece of gear in the chain), I'd turn to one of the other three over the MOMENTUM.

To me the MOMENTUM feels more like a circumaural (around the ear) more than a supra-aural (on-the-ear). That said, it's on the smaller side of circumaurals, so for some it might feel more like a cross between the two. Also helping that is comparatively low clamping force on the MOMENTUM, as well as the super-cushy earpads.

Very interesting facts, thank you. Even so, I always tend to go with excellent sound quality, I think the comfort factor is a MUST. So I think I will go with the Momentum, I'm tired of uncomfortable headphones for long session listening.

I recently ordered the Phillips Fidelio L1 from apple. It is supposed to be a very good all-purpose, comfortable headphone ( Ipad,Movies, netflix,youtube, etc). If someone has tested the Momentum and the Fidelio L1, I would really appreciate just a small comparison.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #396 of 461
The Momentum arrived this past week.  It shows how everyone's hearing is different: I really thought they sounded a lot like the HD598, albeit not as open. In the end though, I didn't keep them long (thus, didn't have the chance to compare them to the Amperior). I have to agree with all the complaints regarding the fit.  The cups really should have been about 1/2 inch wider.  I don't have large ears, and I could get them within the cups, but they were too small and squeezed my outer ear.  I concentrated more on the pressure around my ears and not the music. 

Too bad.  The fit and finish is above and beyond the normal headphone, and the sound was more refined than other models in this market. I think that I'll be going back to the HD650 and calling it a day for a while.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #397 of 461
Quote:
The Momentum arrived this past week.  It shows how everyone's hearing is different: I really thought they sounded a lot like the HD598, albeit not as open. In the end though, I didn't keep them long (thus, didn't have the chance to compare them to the Amperior). I have to agree with all the complaints regarding the fit.  The cups really should have been about 1/2 inch wider.  I don't have large ears, and I could get them within the cups, but they were too small and squeezed my outer ear.  I concentrated more on the pressure around my ears and not the music. 

Too bad.  The fit and finish is above and beyond the normal headphone, and the sound was more refined than other models in this market. I think that I'll be going back to the HD650 and calling it a day for a while.

Sorry to hear the cups are a dealbreaker for you.  Can you compare to the HD650?  Also, how is the "punch" of the bass compared to other headphones you have heard?  I like hearing that they are comparatively refined.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #398 of 461
Quote:
Sorry to hear the cups are a dealbreaker for you.  Can you compare to the HD650?  Also, how is the "punch" of the bass compared to other headphones you have heard?  I like hearing that they are comparatively refined.

The more I listen to them, the more I feel like they are a closed version of the HD650, which is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I'll give a more critical A-B later between the two (I've been mostly ABing vs my portable cans).

Side note - EQing is very nice on this headphones, I find myself using 'spoken word' on my iPod touch brings out the trebles/mids nicely.

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #399 of 461
I would say that they are very punchy and distinctive, not muddy at all. The mid-bass has plenty of impact and tone. Speaking of comfort, the Momentum is amazingly light and the leather is very supple. Just based on the fit and finish, they easily have a higher perceived value and look far more expensive than they are.

The Momentum does have some similarities to the HD650, like the relaxed highs, but is not as clear, especially in the upper limits, and the mids are not as rich.  I think, for the mids at least, this is due to the closed nature of the cans. Given all that, I really think that it is more in line with the HD598.

Either way, the Momentum is clearly a Sennheiser headphone.

I was just at the Apple store where I tried out several headphones in a price point to the Momentum. I tried out a headphone from Monster called the Inspiration which has leather (or synthetic leather to be exact) ear pads. Surprisingly, I found them to be far more comfortable than the Momentum, even though they didn't fit around my ears.  I could wear them for hours without issue.  This was not the case for the Momentum. I also listened to the Amperior again and think that (from memory) the Momentum is a more balanced sounding headphone.

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #400 of 461
Quote:
I would say that they are very punchy and distinctive, not muddy at all. The mid-bass has plenty of impact and tone. They do have some similarities to the HD650, like the relaxed highs, but not as clear, especially in the upper limits, and the mids are not as rich.  I think, for the mids at least, this is due to the closed nature of the cans. Given all that, I really think that they are more in line with the HD598. 

Either way, they are clearly a Sennheiser headphone. 

I noticed your Momentums went for sale and closed -really- quickly :D.

Looking at your profile it seems you've heard quite an extensive collection of headphones. I'm curious if you've ever heard the Ultrasone Signature Pros and if so, how would you compare and contrast between the Momentums and the SigPros. Alternatively (and I know this may not necessarily be a fair comparison), what about with the Denons AH-D7000's?

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #401 of 461
Quote:

I noticed your Momentums went for sale and closed -really- quickly :D.

Looking at your profile it seems you've heard quite an extensive collection of headphones. I'm curious if you've ever heard the Ultrasone Signature Pros and if so, how would you compare and contrast between the Momentums and the SigPros. Alternatively (and I know this may not necessarily be a fair comparison), what about with the Denons AH-D7000's?

Yeah, I had the opportunity to get a new pair of HD650 for under 400 from an authorized seller, so I jumped on the chance to move on.  I was thinking of sitting on the Momentum for a week or two but I wanted to use the money for the 650s. Actually, this was the shortest I've ever owned a set of headphones; usually I keep ones that don't work out for at least 2 weeks. The Momentum sold in under 30 minutes.   

I'm actually surprised at how many headphones I've owned since joining Head-Fi. I've bounced around quite a bit and often had several models at one time.  I was in grad school then and had more time to listen to headphones, but now I'm trying to slow down and keep a set or two for a long time. I've never had the Ultrasone Signature Pro.  I've had the D7000 for a long while and can say that the Momentum sounds unlike the Denon.  Honestly, it is like comparing the HD650 to the D7000. I found the D7000's highs to be much more sharp and the mids to be more sunken in compared to any of the Sennheisers that I've owned. The Denon's bass was also more powerful.

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #403 of 461
Quote:
Yeah, I had the opportunity to get a new pair of HD650 for under 400 from an authorized seller, so I jumped on the chance to move on.  I was thinking of sitting on the Momentum for a week or two but I wanted to use the money for the 650s. Actually, this was the shortest I've ever owned a set of headphones; usually I keep ones that don't work out for at least 2 weeks. The Momentum sold in under 30 minutes.   

I'm actually surprised at how many headphones I've owned since joining Head-Fi. I've bounced around quite a bit and often had several models at one time.  I was in grad school then and had more time to listen to headphones, but now I'm trying to slow down and keep a set or two for a long time. I've never had the Ultrasone Signature Pro.  I've had the D7000 for a long while and can say that the Momentum sounds not like the Denon.  Honestly, it is like comparing the HD650 to the D7000. I found the D7000's highs to be much more sharp and the mids to be more sunken in compared to any of the Sennheisers that I've owned. The Denon's bass was also more powerful.

Cheers, I have little experience with Senn's (aside from the HD-25 of which I owned & sold 8-10 yrs ago, and recently have heard the HD700s/800s). So the only common headphones you & I have heard would be the D7000's (and I currently own the TH-900's which aren't too far off). In general I like the the TH-900/D7000 sound but would be happy enough with the SigPros sound. As was curious if the Momentums came close to those kinda sound signatures.

Hope there are other Momentum owners here who have heard the SigPros and comment about the differences/similarities between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back