Sennheiser Gains New MOMENTUM
Sep 2, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #91 of 461
Quote:
The D600 aren't portable headphones per se, even though they include a shorter cable so there is room for some flexibility there but that's where the comparisons stop. I can't speak for the US, but here in the UK D600 can be found for £400 while the Momentum has an RRP of £260 which stucks me as being significantly more for what is marketed as a reference home can with the potential of going outdoors with. The M4U2 makes more sense, fallling into the same price category as the momentum among other headphones of its type, but i'm not convinced Sennheiser will be losing sleep over what could be considered a genuine alternative to their flagships.

In the US, Amperior is only sold through Apple at a set price of $350.  The D600 can be found for $400, so much closer in price here.  I did find the D600 works well as a portable and at home since they are closed with decent isolation and low impedance.  The D600 seems to be about the same size as Momentum and also doesn't fold.  I supposed we don't know if Momentum will be sold exclusively through Apple or also available at other Sennheiser retailers which could help with pricing.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #93 of 461
Quote:
Mid September per this link.  Also could this be Sennheiser's first basshead can?  Competition for the M-100?  Classy vs. sassy :)

I've got the Sennheiser HD 212 Pro which definitely classify as basshead cans. :p Altough these are poor sounding cans though, I haven't heard Beats Studios but the descriptions I've read of it fits perfectly with HD 212 Pro though but yea the HD 212 Pros cost like 1/4 of Beats Studios though. Looking forward to hear more about this headphone, not a fan of brown color though, metal + black looks so much sweeter to my eye but yea I'm more into the sound than style anyway.

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #94 of 461
I truly hope this headphone does not have the same driver as the Amp. Sennheiser has got to be more innovative at this price point (I don't care for old drivers in pretty new packages either and I'm a fan of the HD25) I'll be looking forward to reviews but it definitely looks like th M-100 will be for me over these.

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #95 of 461
Quote:
In the US, Amperior is only sold through Apple at a set price of $350.  The D600 can be found for $400, so much closer in price here.  I did find the D600 works well as a portable and at home since they are closed with decent isolation and low impedance.  The D600 seems to be about the same size as Momentum and also doesn't fold.  I supposed we don't know if Momentum will be sold exclusively through Apple or also available at other Sennheiser retailers which could help with pricing.

The D600 is a bit large to be considered portable.  The Momentum is a little smaller than the D600 though, so they could be considered portable.  I guess portability is somewhat subjective, but I would consider the Momentum on the large end of anything I would consider portable.  The PSB and the D600 are two headphones I would not want to carry around more than I have to.  I certainly wouldn't walk around in public listening to them, though the Momentum would be a different story.  

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #96 of 461
I may not have seen a answer but is there an expected date when coming to the US market?

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #98 of 461
Quote:
hmmm between this and the new Sony MDR-1R this could be interesting... They both look well designed and I really do prefer circumaural.

Still preferring the Sony's and maybe even the  V-Modas in looks and price... now we'll have to see about performance....

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #99 of 461
Quote:
Dear Sennheiser Momentum,

Please, please sound good. There are no closed, circumaural, and reasonably portable headphones currently in existence which appeal to me, and I really want a headphone like that to exist. I really liked the Philips Uptown, but just couldn't live with their cable and the constant fear of channel imbalance. With your detachable audio only cable, you or the MDR-R1 could be the answer to my prayers. Just please don't sound bad.

Sincerely,

manveru

Ultrasone Signature Pro
MrSpeakers Fostex Mad Dogs ...

Every new headphone, I'm comparing with these 2 above... they're goooood

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #100 of 461
The silver and brown Sony looks awesome :), the Momentum doesn't look BA either but not quite as nice. Just have to wait so see what they sound like...

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #101 of 461
Quote:
The silver and brown Sony looks awesome :), the Momentum doesn't look BA either but not quite as nice. Just have to wait so see what they sound like...

agree

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #102 of 461
Thanks.. sounds like the K550 is not what I want for around the house. I do want something that's a little more forgiving.. an over the ear M-80 would be great. So, it's down to the Momentum or the M-100.
Quote:
Just to give you a heads up. The AKG K550 is a very revealing headphone. Bad source files like those from youtube and spotify and low-bitrate files will sound bad and will reveal any flaws in the recording. If you're using FLACs of well-mastered recordings, you shuuld be fine, but beware. The B&W, your V-Moda's are more on the musical side and cover up flaws. The AKG is more for audio engineers, HD movie watchers and those with high quality source files. Just giving you a heads up.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #103 of 461
I wanted to buy the amperior, but now that this one is going to come out, I'll wait to a comparison and select the one who has a better sound signature. However I like the Momentum classy style, than the geek looking amperior.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #105 of 461
From the looks of it, the Sennheiser Momentum is a step is the right direction; rich materials, elegance, simplicity, and great build quality. Three years ago, I critiqued the Sennheiser HD800 and many people took my heartfelt criticism as bashing Sennheiser (thread, below). Not so. I truly care about design and quality. Apple would never have gotten to the point it is now if Jonathan Ive wasn't obsessive about design. Just as Apple has branched out from computer hardware and has taken on the world, I believe that Sennheiser can use its platform as the world's premium headphone manufacturer and branch off into unkown and unconquered territory. All it takes is focus. Kudos to Sennheiser.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/399951/sennheiser-hd800-spray-painted-plastic-and-the-new-acid-washed-jeans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back