Sennheiser Gains New MOMENTUM
Sep 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #76 of 461
Hmm, I need a new set of portable headphones after my wife commandeered my HD-25 Adidas'.  I was thinking of getting a pair of the Beyerdynamic DT 1350s, but these look like an intriguing option instead.  Thanks for the nice set of pics, I'll just drool over those for a bit until they are released.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #77 of 461
http://en-de.sennheiser.com/momentum

Case is sweeeet! 190 grams is nice for a circum-aural. Specs say 18 Ohm and not 32 Ohm .

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #81 of 461
Quote:
http://en-de.sennheiser.com/momentum

Case is sweeeet! 190 grams is nice for a circum-aural. Specs say 18 Ohm and not 32 Ohm .

190 grams! That's super light for a circum-aural headphone.
eek.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #85 of 461
very nice and stylish looking headphone. At 190g (versus 190g for Amperior) consedaring that they are bigger I dought that the cups are made of aluminium. That would explain the cost. this is just speculation. :D

One thing that worry me is the lengh of theose metal sliders. I have a small melon and wonder how they would fit. Pictures of someone wearing them would be nice. Jude?? :cool:

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #86 of 461
HMMMM....looks like they do use the Amperior driver based on review link above :frowning2: 

Jude- does the circumaural design help improve upon sound reproduction compared to the Amperior?  I still want to try these,  but I felt the Amperior was lacking in sub bass and overall detail, although they were generally enjoyable for a portable with good EQ for most genres.

IMHO, the HD25 driver was advanced at the time it was introduced, but is not timeless as consumer's musical needs from headphones have changed in the past 20 years.  I would prefer to see Sennheiser put their engineering talent, energy and extensive resources into developing a new driver for their premium portables rather than repurposing and dressing up their old drivers in shiny new packages (Momentum is a great looking package though).

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #88 of 461
People seem to be foregetting that this isn't being marketed as a reference can but as a style headphone which might explain why they've kept with the same driver as the HD25. In fact the drivers are different to the HD25 as the Amperior's are completely new, so i don't think it's a simple of matter rehashing stale technology.

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #89 of 461
Quote:
People seem to be foregetting that this isn't being marketed as a reference can but as a style headphone which might explain why they've kept with the same driver as the HD25. In fact the drivers are different to the HD25 as the Amperior's are completely new, so i don't think it's a simple of matter rehashing stale technology.

The new Denon D600 could also be called a portable style headphone.  However, the detail, resolution and soundstage is in another league compared to the Amperior for about the same retail price.  Ditto for the PSB M4U2 (well, maybe not the style part).  IMO, Momentum needs to be better sonically than Amperior to compete, regardless how amazing they look, especially with the M-100 coming out next month which I would imagine Sennheiser has identified as a top competitor for Momentum (Or did they develop Momentum to compete with the M-100?).

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #90 of 461
The D600 aren't portable headphones per se, even though they include a shorter cable so there is room for some flexibility there but that's where the comparisons stop. I can't speak for the US, but here in the UK D600 can be found for £400 while the Momentum has an RRP of £260 which stucks me as being significantly more for what is marketed as a reference home can with the potential of going outdoors with. The M4U2 makes more sense, fallling into the same price category as the momentum among other headphones of its type, but i'm not convinced Sennheiser will be losing sleep over what could be considered a genuine alternative to their flagships as far as sound goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back