Sennheiser Customer Looking to Upgrade
Aug 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

innerspaceboy

New Head-Fier
Hello all.  I've got a great setup and I'd hate to ruin it with a shoddy pair of cans.  My Sennheisers died so I'm hoping you can help.

I consider myself an audiophile but I don't have hundreds of dollars for a real quality pair of headphones.  I'm looking for the best value for around $100.  Please see my specs below.

EQUIPMENT:

•Pioneer PL10 Turntable
•McIntosh MAC4280 Receiver
•Cambridge Audio DacMagic Digital to Analog Converter
•Focal 814v and 705v speakers
•Sennheiser PMX-200 headphones (cord broken - why I'm here)
•Droid X (w Subsonic network streaming my library lossless where possible)

MUSICAL GENRES:

Drone / Collage Music / Post Rock (Stars of the Lid)
Ambient / Minimal / Experimental (Brian Eno, Wolfgang Voigt)
60s Funk (Booty's bass and Bernie Worrell's synth licks)
Electronic / Downtempo (a ton of Underword and Lemon Jelly)
Moog Synthesizer / Hammond organs (TONTO's Expanding Head Band)
Dream Pop / Shoegaze / Slowcore / Indie (Low's catalog)
Nu Balearic / Chillwave / Blisscore (Youth Lagoon)
Cut Up / Mash Up / Plunderphonics (2manydjs)
And Avant Garde madness like Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica, Bruce Haack, Dr John's Gris Gris, John Cage, Sun Ra, and Tom Waits.

• Powerful and clear reproduction of the walls of sound encountered during Spiritualized's "Cop Shoot Cop" and Low's "Nothing But Heart" are critical.
(Spiritualized has a full orchestra and gospel choir backing the band.)  Trout Mask is similarly complex, though far more lo-fi.

DESIRED HEADPHONE FEATURES (if possible):

•Over the ear format
•Metal, not plastic
•Leather earpads
•Fold flat rotating cups for easy storage
•Carying case would be a big plus (back and forth to work daily)
•Detachable or cloth-wound cable to prevent fraying
•Noise isolation (to drown out the Backstreet Boys playing at work)
•Stylish and unique design is also a plus

The Bowers and Wilkins P5s meet every feature on my list, but at $300 they're a bit too expensive for me.  I would consider buying them used however.  

The Sennheiser PMX-200s were satisfactory for portable listening but I know I can do much better.

My suspicion is that there won't be a solution in the $100 range.  I've read through the "Shootout" and similar articles but other than the P5s nothing appeals.

I welcome your recommendations!  THANK YOU in advance.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 8
seems like the DT1350 is perfect for you, its metal, fold flat, has carrying case, and are quite stylish (not sure about detachable cable or leather pads) Theyre 299 retail, and from what I read sound much better than the P5

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the quick response!

I just realized there is a thread called Buying headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE! and requested that the moderator move this discussion, but upon closer examination it seems a little "cluttered" over there.  Maybe I'll have better luck with this thread after all.

The DT1350s look like an excellent potential solution.  Too bad the cord doesn't detach, but the carrying case should protect them if I decide to go that route.  I hear they have bottomless (but not overpowering) lows and clear highs, and that they're ferociously efficient.  Curious to see how cacophonies of noise sound through them. 

Anyone else have suggestions?

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 8
I've just found a solution that looks too good to pass up.  There are countless threads here praising the AudioTechnica ATH-M50's for best value under $200.  They meet nearly all of my specs - carrying case, rotating cups, leather pads, durable build quality, etc and from what people here say the bass is decent for a cheap set.

They retail $199 and I've found them new for $40.

Is this a no-brainer?

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 8
$40? Could be fake.

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I've just found a solution that looks too good to pass up.  There are countless threads here praising the AudioTechnica ATH-M50's for best value under $200.  They meet nearly all of my specs - carrying case, rotating cups, leather pads, durable build quality, etc and from what people here say the bass is decent for a cheap set.

They retail $199 and I've found them new for $40.

Is this a no-brainer?

Cheapest price I can find (new) for the ATH-M50 is $147.
$40 more like the price of the ATH-M30, sounds like a miss print, or a scam.

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 8
You're right - a buyer comment exposed them as fakes.  Pardon my naivety, I instantly found several other questionable "factory direct from Hong Kong" sites offering them for suspiciously low prices.

But overall, at the $124 frequent eBay price point that I would spend on a legitimate pair of M50s, is there a consensus that they would be an effective solution for my audio situation?

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 8
Is there any chance that you could wait a little while and spend a little more?

Just mentioning it because clearly you have some very nice gear with the McIntosh receiver
and Focal 814V's. You're accustomed to a fairly nice sound.

Easier in the long run is all I'm saying, it'll save you from upgrade-itis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back