Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #916 of 1,054
Hey guys seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on buying one of these. The KSC75 have been said to be great with rock, and they were. So have these.

I am worried about sibilance though, I have the GR07BE and I find them too sibilant compared to my other headphones thanks to their 10k+6k spikes. The Amperior has an aggressive mid treble spike, but I also know FR isn't everything.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #917 of 1,054
They do have sibilance, thats for sure. My ears have gotten used to less pronounced\quieter sibilences though, but on some tracks it is inevitable and you will hear them. i have never heard the GR07BE so i can't compare, but they did have more sibilance than my bros 7 year old hd25.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #918 of 1,054
i would say get hd25 ii as their sound is overall more ironed out. no ressesed mids, no sibilance, more bass etc. as long as you dont mind on ear pressure. from owning amperiors i cant stand on ears, after an hour two i cant use them, ear pina cartilage gets sore. also my ears are more sensitive to sennheisers so in that it makes no difference which you get. i would say hd25 ii is better but they both are fantastic ofcourse. but on ear pressure is not for me these days. but sound is good. i think after listening to hd25 ii even for 30 seconds gave me ear fatigue, so ye its not for me :relieved: hehe

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #919 of 1,054
  Hey guys seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on buying one of these. The KSC75 have been said to be great with rock, and they were. So have these.

I am worried about sibilance though, I have the GR07BE and I find them too sibilant compared to my other headphones thanks to their 10k+6k spikes. The Amperior has an aggressive mid treble spike, but I also know FR isn't everything.

imo the amperiors are actually MORE aggressive then the gr07be from my experience... theres a bit more of an edge to the amperiors which I find helps make them a bit crisper

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #920 of 1,054
imo the amperiors are actually MORE aggressive then the gr07be from my experience... theres a bit more of an edge to the amperiors which I find helps make them a bit crisper

ye that, but hd25 has more bass

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #921 of 1,054
I've been listening to the Amperior quite a bit since I bought them and I really enjoy, what I can only describe, as their light and airy sound. I find them very musical and fun, but not necessarily accurate.

I think my HD25s, even though they are more of a mellow listen by comparison, are somewhat more representative of a more realistic sound.

That said, neither of them even come close to my Beyer DT1350s in terms of telling you exactly what you're listening to.

The Amps are really great for electronic music, however the bass lacks definition by comparison to the HD25, and even more so compared to the DT1350. The mids are glorious, but the DT1350 does them better. The treble I find more rounded than the HD25, even though it's more present, but still not equalling the sonorus and tuneful treble of the DT1350

If I was going to use a Star Trek analogy for this trio, then I would say that the DT1350s are Spock, they tell you like it is, but not without his human part. The HD25 are like Kirk - reserved at times but can really pull out the stops when needed. The Amps are more like Scotty or Bones - they always deliver the goods but with an excitable demeanour that makes me smile.

I'm lucky, I've got all three, and I'm keeping all of them.

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #922 of 1,054
i would say get hd25 ii as their sound is overall more ironed out. no ressesed mids, no sibilance, more bass etc. as long as you dont mind on ear pressure. from owning amperiors i cant stand on ears, after an hour two i cant use them, ear pina cartilage gets sore. also my ears are more sensitive to sennheisers so in that it makes no difference which you get. i would say hd25 ii is better but they both are fantastic ofcourse. but on ear pressure is not for me these days. but sound is good. i think after listening to hd25 ii even for 30 seconds gave me ear fatigue, so ye its not for me :relieved: hehe

I too prefer the hd25. i feel they are more balanced. Amperiors have crispier highs but their mmids are more recessed than the hd25, giving the hd25 a better tonal balance and a fuller lusher sound. To me the vocals on the amperior can feel a bit distant, where as with the hd25 this does not happen at all. I prefer the hd25, but the amperior themselves are good headphones. I could not say that one is better than the other, i would say it highly comes down to preference of sound, do not assume the amperior would be better for your ears because of reviews, and tyll for example from inner fidelity. I thought they would be superior sound wise, and after reading all the reviews i thought they would be but after trying them on and comparing them to the hd25, but best advice i can give is that you will only be able to tel which is better by trying them on, because everyone ears are different. To me, i would choose the hd25 for sure.
However, the amperior, being discontinued, can be bought for very cheap if you buy them refurbished. I bought mine for 100$, from sonic electronix (not an advertismenet lol) and they are like new with original packaging, and htey also include a slappa case which itself sells for 30$, although i didn't include it because i live overseas and the cost of shipping would not be worth the added weight. Well worth the money, no need to pay over 250$. i know buysonic (website) sells them for 90$, imassuming its like new. They are factory refurbished.

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #923 of 1,054
I'm curious. Have you guys compared the HD25 and the Amperior with the same pads? There's a good chance that the differences you hear are due to the properties of the different pads.

I got a chance to listen to the HD25 and Amperior side-to-side with both of them donning the pleather/vinyl pads. I even got it to be somewhat volume matched (by ear) by having each headphone on one ear playing brown noise (same source player even!).

They pretty much sound the same to me in terms of overall signature. They both share the same forwardness and mid-bass punch. They also both have the hint of sibilance that I quite like on some songs. It's just my cognitive biases that keep making me think that the Amperior is "cleaner" sounding because of the aluminium cups and the copper cable. Also because my friend's HD25 looks disgustingly worn and beaten up.

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #924 of 1,054
I'm curious. Have you guys compared the HD25 and the Amperior with the same pads? There's a good chance that the differences you hear are due to the properties of the different pads.

I got a chance to listen to the HD25 and Amperior side-to-side with both of them donning the pleather/vinyl pads. I even got it to be somewhat volume matched (by ear) by having each headphone on one ear playing brown noise (same source player even!).

They pretty much sound the same to me in terms of overall signature. They both share the same forwardness and mid-bass punch. They also both have the hint of sibilance that I quite like on some songs. It's just my cognitive biases that keep making me think that the Amperior is "cleaner" sounding because of the aluminium cups and the copper cable. Also because my friend's HD25 looks disgustingly worn and beaten up.

I could not put the same pads on both headphones at the same time because I don't have any spare pads, only what is on the headphone itself.

As for both headphones, when I switched from vinyl to pleather, the sound isolation was a bit better, and it felt a bit boomier (more bass impact), I believe it has more to do with the fact that there was more isolation. The changes were rather slight, nothing that changed the nature of the headphone. To me the amperior was still the amperior and likewise for the hd25. Still different sounding headphones with all the changes I mentioned above. Do take into consideration the amperior was new and used for 1-2 weeks with 30 hrs burn in at the time I tested the pads, and the hd25 atleast 7 years.

I actually preferred the pleather, they just sit better on my ears, but the vinyl are more comfortable (but "stick" less well on my ears).
I did not honestly see any real difference between the pads, it was mainly the isolation which improved by a bit with the pleather.

The hd25 feel more detailed, but the amperiors do feel clearer and more accurate. I believe this is due to the changed treble, but their mids are more recessed, which takes away the warmth and lush sound I like about the hd25 Guitars on the hd25 have that "twaaaaang" feel, vocals feel fuller in a way. I have read plenty of reviews online of people saying they are practically the same headphone, with the amperior being slightly better, but for me this was not the case at all. They share that same bass punch, but the hd25 bass has that enveloping feel.

Again, I feel I should say that the hd25 have been around for atleast 7 years, I don't know to what extent headphones do change with years of use, and I have never tried a new hd25.

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #926 of 1,054
i sold my amperiors cause of ear fatigue. Demius described it. if you want good bass, not ressesed mids i would defo pick hd25
amperiors are more for those who want crisper high frequencies and are ok to sacrifice mids and bass for it. would that be good desceiption?

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #927 of 1,054
i sold my amperiors cause of ear fatigue. Demius described it. if you want good bass, not ressesed mids i would defo pick hd25
amperiors are more for those who want crisper high frequencies and are ok to sacrifice mids and bass for it. would that be good desceiption?

True, they are very ear fatiguing. The rtreble is too much imo, its sounds nice and crisp but its overdone and makes vocals sound too distant. On some sounds although the vocals are just right, but then i put on the hd25 and they feel even better. The vocals sound more humanly and alive, warmer. However, im strictly speaking about vocals. On electronic music tracks do  not have a clear preference on any of these headphones, both have slight benefits, with amperiors feeling cleaner and "tighter", where as the hd25 have that enveloping bass feel, in the amperior dont feel it, that low bass rumble is missing.

The main problem for me is their fatigue. 

They both sound good, but imo hd25 has much better tonal balance.
I feel that many times i want to turn up the volume high to hear the vocals at a "normal" level (because they feel distant), but then the highs become even more fatiguing, and the bass punch too loud, and that will make the amperiors fatigue you even more. The vocals on the hd25 feel present, they aint going anywhere.

My brothers like them and dont have these fatigue issues, so take that into consideration. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #928 of 1,054
cool same thing, totally same thing. do you get ea fatigue with hd25? may be we have same music preference. what music do you listen to. i dont know exactly the genre i just listen to whatever soung sounds good, here is my playlist, do you like the same music?

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs5Q8enbHKeHcxX5p8qPxCsSuFNwqp4h0

here is my rescent shazams, rescently liked songs. if you like the songs then we have the same music tastes

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #929 of 1,054
cool same thing, totally same thing. do you get ea fatigue with hd25? may be we have same music preference. what music do you listen to. i dont know exactly the genre i just listen to whatever soung sounds good, here is my playlist, do you like the same music?

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs5Q8enbHKeHcxX5p8qPxCsSuFNwqp4h0

here is my rescent shazams, rescently liked songs. if you like the songs then we have the same music tastes

i actually don't know any of these songs, but after listening to them on youtube, they do fit my music style, but not all of them.
In general, i listen to all music except dubstep, metal,heavy metal, or anything very that is loud like heavy metal, just feels too messy.
from soft songs like enya, trance (paul van dyk, binary finary, vocal trance), edm, rock, pop, hip hop, stuff like blink 182, instrumental music (mainly soundtracks of movies). Don't listen to much jazz or classical, but they sound nice.

edit: as for the hd25, they do not even come close in terms of fatigue. Maybe after 3 hours my ears will feel tired, but not painful! If i want to take them off, it is because my outer ear (flesh) is sore, not because my eardrums hurt. As for the amperiors, even after a few minutes i start to feel fatigue, depends on music. I dont think i will ever buy a grado headphone after dealing with amperiors, my ears are not built for it. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #930 of 1,054
alright i see. that playlist is actually songs that were on my playlist but i deleted to save space on iphone and i aded these songs to youtube playlist so i can find them when i want to. cause sometimes i readd songs to playlist on my iphone cause i might start like it again. cause sometimes you get bored of a song after listening to it a few times, so i delete those from iphone and add them to youtube playlist. to save space on iphone and so i can find those later. and its also good to know what songs i liked before. i dont even know what kind of music genre i like cause i only pick songs i like and it could be from any genre. i asked a few times what kind of genre it is and no one ever said what genre it is. the closest music gets to metal is nickelback photograph, we all want to be superstars, some songs by avril, and one song cool for the summer dami lovato. the closest music jenre i can think it is is dance music.

ofcourse technology and detail wise amperiors are probably a bit better than hd25, but i prefer a bit more bass though!! my favorite headphone right now is denon d400 with smsl sap-5 bass amp. but i want something for detail, but i also want good bass, and no sibilance and not ressesed mids. and i think hd25 is the one cause i think it has everything equally done bass is good, mids are superb, and high frequency is also good, a bit too extended actually also airy, you can feel the same tech in it but better bass. i want a headphone just for clarity but with good bass not ressesed mids and good uppper. and i have a dac here 100 ohm which is a bitch to use on lower impedance headphones cause it doesnt adjust gradually, and you can use hd25 with iphone too. most dacs and amps tend to be more powerful than iphones androids.

do you know good deals on hd25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back