Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
May 10, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #886 of 1,054
  I personally prefer the sound of the HD25 pads. I also find it easier to seal on my ear compared to the the Amperior pads, and looks nicer as well (has a burly look to it). But summer isn't really a season to wear headphones, they're just too sweat inducing for me.

@Tom22 Well, there's the HD25 Aluminium/Aluminum pads. I've tried them in-store and found them to be the best in terms of seal, comfort, and probably isolation as they are the squishiest of the all the (official) HD25 pads.

i can definitely see why you feel that way, i think the pleather pads do feel like their sealing better, haha i'm not a fan of the papery look (just imo ofc) but i agree its not the season to wear headphones (its starting to warm up here in toronto the last few weeks and i have since moved towards iems for both home and outside use)--> avoids sweaty ears

thats a great suggestion! i don't know why i didn't order those hd 25 aluminum pads earlier (i should've gotten those instead) from the pictures they look nice! 

i like squishy =) it would make the amps more comfortable too (i would imagine the isolation would be better> the stock velours on the amps now) which i thought is just okay (in comparison to the pleather hd25s i mean) those did a better job

May 10, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #887 of 1,054
  glad to have you on the amperior bandwagon @H20Fidelity ! how different is the amps vs the hd25 to each other to you? 

i still have the hd25 pleather pads, in addition with the velours on my amperiors (stock).

the pleathers really aren't breathable for me, i would only use those in the winter (but i'm still using the stock velours atm, at least until they wear out )

i'm debating on getting a pair of the hd25 velours to see how different they are, or the other pads cited in the earlier posts (that look sooo cushy)

I find them different enough to keep both.

The Amperior sounds a little higher resolution, tighter low-end, touch more mid-bass, treble a touch more forward, not sure how Sennhesier did it but Amperior also has quite a bit wider soundstage. It sounds like the higher performing headphone, very much like Tyll explains in his comparisons, especially nice with iBasso DX50.

But I also think despite Sennheiser's attempts to outclass and upgrade their HD25, you'll never take away that unique tone and timbre HD25 put out. Its a classic headphone tuned very right a long time ago, so despite the Amperior being 'superior' in overall sound HD25 remains tightly seated with his long term trade. That's how I hear it.

My HD25 had velour pads when I first got them, I don't like how they sounded then, the velour makes the sound too dense, like its hitting the padding and dulling the presentation, I wasn't much of a fan until changing HD25 to pleather pads, this made them noticeably more vibrant and added some spring to the sound.

I'm basically going through a similar feeling with the Amperior to lesser extent and stock velour pads right now. I will leave them stock as I don't want to change this but I can hear them canceling out or dull effect to some extent. 

I really like both though and will keep them, they're also perfect with their small cups for laying on a pillow without causing discomfort.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #888 of 1,054
I'm shopping for a portable DAC/amp around $300. I want to use it with my Amperiors - they may not benefit much from amplification but I really need a better DAC. Can give me a recommendation that pairs well with the Amperiors? Maybe something that reduces the sibilance, or at least doesn't increase it.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #889 of 1,054
I'm shopping for a portable DAC/amp around $300. I want to use it with my Amperiors - they may not benefit much from amplification but I really need a better DAC. Can give me a recommendation that pairs well with the Amperiors? Maybe something that reduces the sibilance, or at least doesn't increase it.

I occasionally use them with my AudioQuest Dragonfly.  I do not remember sibilance problems.  Sorry for the non-conclusive answer.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #890 of 1,054

I occasionally use them with my AudioQuest Dragonfly.  I do not remember sibilance problems.  Sorry for the non-conclusive answer.

I am listening to "Lucia" from the free HDtracks Ultimate Download Experience album (which is free, or at least used to be free) with the Dragonfly and the Amperiors.  The singer is Marta Gomez.  In my opinion, the sibilance is not reduced.

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #892 of 1,054

I find them different enough to keep both.

The Amperior sounds a little higher resolution, tighter low-end, touch more mid-bass, treble a touch more forward, not sure how Sennhesier did it but Amperior also has quite a bit wider soundstage. It sounds like the higher performing headphone, very much like Tyll explains in his comparisons, especially nice with iBasso DX50.

But I also think despite Sennheiser's attempts to outclass and upgrade their HD25, you'll never take away that unique tone and timbre HD25 put out. Its a classic headphone tuned very right a long time ago, so despite the Amperior being 'superior' in overall sound HD25 remains tightly seated with his long term trade. That's how I hear it.

My HD25 had velour pads when I first got them, I don't like how they sounded then, the velour makes the sound too dense, like its hitting the padding and dulling the presentation, I wasn't much of a fan until changing HD25 to pleather pads, this made them noticeably more vibrant and added some spring to the sound.

I'm basically going through a similar feeling with the Amperior to lesser extent and stock velour pads right now. I will leave them stock as I don't want to change this but I can hear them canceling out or dull effect to some extent. 

I really like both though and will keep them, they're also perfect with their small cups for laying on a pillow without causing discomfort.

Still got your amperiors H20? I picked up a pair for a good deal. Looking forward to them!

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #893 of 1,054

Still got your amperiors H20? I picked up a pair for a good deal. Looking forward to them!

I sold them, not because they are bad, simply because I wanted them used by someone who could appreciate them.

They were sitting here practically new not being used while I lean (as always) for IEMs. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #894 of 1,054
i sold my as well, on ears are uncomfortable, and big in comparison to earphones. im using fidue a73 and they are almost identical in audio quality, but i think a73 is better because a73 mids arent ressesed and have more bass than this. but they are good if you fine with comfort. a73 are nice, cheers

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #895 of 1,054

I sold them, not because they are bad, simply because I wanted them used by someone who could appreciate them.

They were sitting here practically new not being used while I lean (as always) for IEMs. 

Yeah, I don't need any more on ear headphones. But I've always wanted the amperiors since reading/watching Tyll's review, and I was able to get a pair for a great price. So in a moment of weakness...

i sold my as well, on ears are uncomfortable, and big in comparison to earphones. im using fidue a73 and they are almost identical in audio quality, but i think a73 is better because a73 mids arent ressesed and have more bass than this. but they are good if you fine with comfort. a73 are nice, cheers

A73's must be pretty good then! I've been listening to the amperiors since yesterday, and I really love their sound. Very engaging. Must have great "prat" or something, because I am toe tapping like crazy lol. And fortunately I am finding them to be quite tolerable in the comfort department (heads and tails more comfy than the dt1350's or mikros 90's anyway). 

Before getting them I had kind of resigned myself to selling them off. But I am seriously enjoying their sound too much for that to happen!

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #896 of 1,054
Yeah, I don't need any more on ear headphones. But I've always wanted the amperiors since reading/watching Tyll's review, and I was able to get a pair for a great price. So in a moment of weakness...

A73's must be pretty good then! I've been listening to the amperiors since yesterday, and I really love their sound. Very engaging. Must have great "prat" or something, because I am toe tapping like crazy lol. And fortunately I am finding them to be quite tolerable in the comfort department (heads and tails more comfy than the dt1350's or mikros 90's anyway). 

Before getting them I had kind of resigned myself to selling them off. But I am seriously enjoying their sound too much for that to happen!

ye they are pretty good, not the comfort though, on ears eventually they press on ear cartilage after you use them for a week or two
but they sound npretty good

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #898 of 1,054
You guys need ear workouts.

You've never tried the dt1350's or mikros 90's, have you?  
tongue.gif

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #899 of 1,054
You've never tried the dt1350's or mikros 90's, have you?  :p

DT1350 and T51p, yes.
Mikros, no and have no interest.

Yes, the Beyers are supremely comfortable compared to the HD25-series. The T51p to me almost looks like the best portable due to its small size and great isolation (relative to headphones, not beating Etys anytime soon), but I feel like its signature is not punchy and forward enough for outdoor listening. Just my preference though, as I usually listen to more engaging music when I'm outside. That said, I still want a pair.

As for more objective stuff, the Amperior has more reassuring build than both the DT1350 and T51p. Also, one eats your hair and one has a bit thin dual-entry non-detachable cable.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #900 of 1,054
DT1350 and T51p, yes.
Mikros, no and have no interest.

Yes, the Beyers are supremely comfortable compared to the HD25-series. The T51p to me almost looks like the best portable due to its small size and great isolation (relative to headphones, not beating Etys anytime soon), but I feel like its signature is not punchy and forward enough for outdoor listening. Just my preference though, as I usually listen to more engaging music when I'm outside. That said, I still want a pair.

As for more objective stuff, the Amperior has more reassuring build than both the DT1350 and T51p. Also, one eats your hair and one has a bit thin dual-entry non-detachable cable.

I was implying that the dt1350's are quite a bit more uncomfortable than the amperiors. As much as I liked the dt1350's sq (I liked it a lot), I simply couldn't handle the clamping. Whereas with the amperios, I've been wearing them for hours without a problem. Did you find the dt1350's to be comfortable?

The t51p's were quite comfortable though, but at the time I was directly comparing the sound to the dt1350's, and I liked the dt1350's sound quite a bit more, so I returned the t50p's as well. Both are great headphones though.

I gotta say that I seem to be enjoying the amperior sq even more than the dt1350's but, we all know how auditory memory goes). Anyway, the amperiors have won me over based on how much I am enjoying their sq, and based on the fact that I don't need to rip them off of my head due to discomfort after a few hours, so I am a happy camper :)

p.s. as far as the mikros go, I haven't ab'd them yet with the amperiors, but the mikros have pretty amazing sq - I just can't handle the clamping force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back