Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #137 of 1,054
Quote:
"Now the cable is wrapped in paracord" (doesn't say what type of paracord). High-quality paracord is used by the military; it has a nylon sheath and a seven-strand nylon core. Unfortunately, much of the commercially available “paracord” is lower quality; it breaks much more easily, and it does not have the seven strand core.

" it is also 20 times stornger than steel giving more protection" Huh?! Really? Are you serious? 
Steel Cable
Obviously the strength of steel cablel for it's diameter is nearly unrivaled, but steel cable is also less flexible, more difficult to tie knots in and heavy.

Thanks for spotting the misprint - I will get it updated ASAP - we were originally using kevlar to wrap the cables which was rated 20 times stronger than steel but people were complaining it got dirty too easily and to be honest it was overkill for the cable as you would break the headphones before the kevlar so we switched to paracord as it was still quite strong but not as microphonic as techflex and other cable braids.
I will poke Adam in the eye and get him to re write the description on monday
Thanks agan :wink:

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #139 of 1,054
Ah may I join the club?! Loving my amperiors. Far superior to anything I've tried before. Philips L1 and Bowers P5 pale in comparison.

The only thing I am not a fan of is the rather flimsy sliding mechanism. I am a little concerned that the serrated edge of the plastic will wear away in time and no longer hold those awesome cups!

The cups have already slid off once after I had nudge it inadvertently. Maybe I have a dud pair! Should I send back due to defect?

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #140 of 1,054
Quote:
Ah may I join the club?! Loving my amperiors. Far superior to anything I've tried before. Philips L1 and Bowers P5 pale in comparison.

The only thing I am not a fan of is the rather flimsy sliding mechanism. I am a little concerned that the serrated edge of the plastic will wear away in time and no longer hold those awesome cups!

The cups have already slid off once after I had nudge it inadvertently. Maybe I have a dud pair! Should I send back due to defect?

The Sliding mechanism on the amperiors is the same as the HD25 - I deal with a lot of DJs and have seen may pairs which have had hard use for many years the the bumps on the arms don't seem to ware too quickly and you can buy new ones from sennheiser for around £6 GBP. I have seen a few pairs which are too loose - this is normally due to the plastic spring inside the earcup that presses on those bumps on the headband. On the ones I have repaired plastic spring has a crack in it. If the earcups don't stay in place properly you may have an issue with the earcup and I would contact sennheiser or the retailer you got them from. If you ware just a bit clumsy and accidentally pull the earcups off now and again and easy fix is to either use a bit of shrink tube or a zip tie at the bottom of the arm - that will stop the earcups from being able to be popped off by accident.
Hope that helps but feel free message me if you need any more help with the problem

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #141 of 1,054
Okay, before I get my paycheck tomorrow, someone on this thread please
tell me if this is a good/bad idea....

I have the DRAGONFLY already (with its built in headphone amp) and I want
to get even better sound quality by adding a portable amp to the dragonfly...

I wish I could "try before I buy", buy I can't, but I really really really think
that it would be good to add an amp.... am I wasting my money if I get
something from ALO or whatever portable amp?

Lovin' my AMPERIORS!

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #142 of 1,054
Look into the glacier. Its got a usb dac too, with loads of power. Test out the dac section of the glacier against the dragon fly, and if you enjoy it more you can sell your dragon fly and have an all in one portable amp/dac. :)

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #143 of 1,054
Quote:
Look into the glacier. Its got a usb dac too, with loads of power. Test out the dac section of the glacier against the dragon fly, and if you enjoy it more you can sell your dragon fly and have an all in one portable amp/dac. :)

Just read your post and when I look at your avatar, it feels like Ms Hewitt is 
telling me to get a Glacier lol.....   so, I guess I'll go ahead and put the DF up
for sale and get the Glacier!

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #145 of 1,054
The Sliding mechanism on the amperiors is the same as the HD25 - I deal with a lot of DJs and have seen may pairs which have had hard use for many years the the bumps on the arms don't seem to ware too quickly and you can buy new ones from sennheiser for around £6 GBP. I have seen a few pairs which are too loose - this is normally due to the plastic spring inside the earcup that presses on those bumps on the headband. On the ones I have repaired plastic spring has a crack in it. If the earcups don't stay in place properly you may have an issue with the earcup and I would contact sennheiser or the retailer you got them from. If you ware just a bit clumsy and accidentally pull the earcups off now and again and easy fix is to either use a bit of shrink tube or a zip tie at the bottom of the arm - that will stop the earcups from being able to be popped off by accident.

Hope that helps but feel free message me if you need any more help with the problem

Great. Thanks for the tips mate.

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #146 of 1,054
Received my cable form CustomCans.co.uk and all fitted. Now I'm lucky that we have two pairs of amperiors at home - one is my wife's new pair as she loves teh sound too, so I've been able to do back to back comparisons.

Having listened to them for the past two days, all I can say is wow! Now either the Sennheiser cable has a fault in my wife's cans or the custom Cans cable is really great. Bass is a lot deeper and even SPL is improved - the same volume level has to be taken down a notch with the pair with the new cable on it.Overall, very happy with this cable and have no hesitation in recommending. I do have a small grumble - the cable shrink wrap on the 3.5mm connector leaves a gap - see pic below, would have preferred if this fitted perfectly, as I feel it may start fraying with usage, but we shall see. Apart from that, the cord itself is good quality and the sound difference is not a 'subtle' difference to my ears. £45 well spent, even if it was just to replace a snapped cable!

I'll be bringing these along to the London meet in April, so anyone that wants to compare can do so!

Cable connection...

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #147 of 1,054
nice, looks good. Am tempted to get one too, hate the normal cable, its too long with the extension. How long is this compared to the original? And does the cable fit the grooves perfectly under the headband with out falling out? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back