SennGrado Thread
Oct 12, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #331 of 518
I'm looking for a couple of Sony 7506 Replacement Headbands as found here.
http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-7506-Replacement-Headband-and-Cups.html

I'd be willing to trade a set of tone-wood cups that would fit this headband. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #332 of 518

All perfect. The L-Cush, think about getting the Grado-brand ones from their Amazon shop or their website (they go by 4ourears). They have different foam densities layered up, and sound better to some ears.

For a cable, @PETEREK makes great stuff. I use him all the time.

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #333 of 518
Hey guys and gals (if there are any? :p),

So I caught wind of the whole SennGrado thing a couple weeks ago and I've been dying for a new build. My Grado 125's have been tweaked into oblivion...they're awesome, but maxed out. I gathered everything ASAP and just wanted to share. Apparently I'm not qualified to post photos. Get off your butts and follow the link:

http://s11.postimg.org/bn1ypte03/20151018_161828.jpg

-PX-100ii drivers (obviously)
   -Burled Maple cups (from YewWoodworks on Etsy...EXCELLENT customer service, check them out)
   -Cardas Clear cable (I realize that is WAY overboard for this headphone, but I've been itching to use the Clear I had)
   -Using the standard Grado gimbal, and I have a Turbulent Lab leather band on it's way. I also used a Rean 3.5 connector which was a big PIA mistake, as I had a heck of a time getting the double cable to terminate into that tiny plug...

First impressions are....well I don't really know. Still running A-Bs to my 125i's with Cardas Clear Light and some damped drivers. I'm also still using the taped up L-Cush pads from those 125's, and maybe the SennGrado's don't need that little addition? My ears are also hitting the drivers so I need to figure that out. 

Regardless, it was fun as hell. They certainly don't sound bad, that's for sure.

That is all.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #334 of 518
Hey guys and gals (if there are any?
tongue.gif
),

So I caught wind of the whole SennGrado thing a couple weeks ago and I've been dying for a new build. My Grado 125's have been tweaked into oblivion...they're awesome, but maxed out. I gathered everything ASAP and just wanted to share. Apparently I'm not qualified to post photos. Get off your butts and follow the link:

http://s11.postimg.org/bn1ypte03/20151018_161828.jpg

-PX-100ii drivers (obviously)
   -Burled Maple cups (from YewWoodworks on Etsy...EXCELLENT customer service, check them out)
   -Cardas Clear cable (I realize that is WAY overboard for this headphone, but I've been itching to use the Clear I had)
   -Using the standard Grado gimbal, and I have a Turbulent Lab leather band on it's way. I also used a Rean 3.5 connector which was a big PIA mistake, as I had a heck of a time getting the double cable to terminate into that tiny plug...

First impressions are....well I don't really know. Still running A-Bs to my 125i's with Cardas Clear Light and some damped drivers. I'm also still using the taped up L-Cush pads from those 125's, and maybe the SennGrado's don't need that little addition? My ears are also hitting the drivers so I need to figure that out. 

Regardless, it was fun as hell. They certainly don't sound bad, that's for sure.

That is all.

Very Nice!

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #337 of 518
Ok. To my ears the gs-1000 have great body and depth. The soundstage is bigger and has a relaxed presence. The bass is deep but somewhat loose almost like I'm listening farther back in the concert hall. The SennGrado's have more detail. The air in the midrange is excellent but it lacks the soundstage of the Grado's. The bass and the highs are more precise on the Senngrado's and more forward sounding with an analytical touch. I guess it depends on what you want out of your cans. If you want musicality then the Grado's are hard to beat. If you want precise forward listening then the Senngrado's are your ticket. I really liked the Senngrado's on rock and bass heavy music but preferred the Grado's for classical. Considering that I bought my cans to set up my cartridges on my turntable, the Senngrado's seem to be the choice for me. I could easily live with both. They just give different insights on the music

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #338 of 518
Ok. To my ears the gs-1000 have great body and depth. The soundstage is bigger and has a relaxed presence. The bass is deep but somewhat loose almost like I'm listening farther back in the concert hall. The SennGrado's have more detail. The air in the midrange is excellent but it lacks the soundstage of the Grado's. The bass and the highs are more precise on the Senngrado's and more forward sounding with an analytical touch. I guess it depends on what you want out of your cans. If you want musicality then the Grado's are hard to beat. If you want precise forward listening then the Senngrado's are your ticket. I really liked the Senngrado's on rock and bass heavy music but preferred the Grado's for classical. Considering that I bought my cans to set up my cartridges on my turntable, the Senngrado's seem to be the choice for me. I could easily live with both. They just give different insights on the music

Thanks for the comparison to the GS-1000. Nice!

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #340 of 518
  Is it possible to build a senngrado using the SR60 cups? I've got the chance to buy a pair of faulty SR60 to user the parts. Is it any good?

Thanks!

It is possible, some members have done it, you're going to get the SR60 driver out of it's enclosure without damaging the enclosure, people have done it. Also you're going to sand PX100 black enclosure to make it fit, that's the easy part.

There is a thread somewhere showing how to get the SR60 driver out of it's enclosure without damaging the enclosure. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #342 of 518
Hello there-
  I put together the senngrados I've been working on & I think I need some advice on tuning these. My first impression was not one of amazement– I've never owned a grado model above the various sr80's, but my woodied pair really impressed me as a definite improvement. I can only say that my woodied px100ii drivers are a slight improvement over the prefab pair that I have been using with a very basic l cush mod. What I have been hearing is an excess of bass. The articulation of most highs is far more subtle than I am used to. Admittedly, I need more time to get over the first few listens, & rock recordings still sound good, so there's potential. But what to do?

one solution I found was to cover vent holes (please excuse the webcam photos)– half of them are taped over with more planned. If it helps to know, the inner dimensions are  close to those I used for my grado mod. 
any ideas where I might have "fudged" these?

thanks in advance for any replies

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #343 of 518
  Hello there-
  I put together the senngrados I've been working on & I think I need some advice on tuning these. My first impression was not one of amazement– I've never owned a grado model above the various sr80's, but my woodied pair really impressed me as a definite improvement. I can only say that my woodied px100ii drivers are a slight improvement over the prefab pair that I have been using with a very basic l cush mod. What I have been hearing is an excess of bass. The articulation of most highs is far more subtle than I am used to. Admittedly, I need more time to get over the first few listens, & rock recordings still sound good, so there's potential. But what to do?

one solution I found was to cover vent holes (please excuse the webcam photos)– half of them are taped over with more planned. If it helps to know, the inner dimensions are  close to those I used for my grado mod. 
any ideas where I might have "fudged" these?

thanks in advance for any replies

I have modded a Grado(SR60i) and just finished my own SennGrado build last week(hope I can share photo of my own creation). Covering the vent holes will affect the Highs and loose some of the sparkle if not all. Just put a small amount(pea size) of Blu-tack at the back of the driver and it will tame both Highs and Bass.

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #344 of 518
I have modded a Grado(SR60i) and just finished my own SennGrado build last week(hope I can share photo of my own creation). Covering the vent holes will affect the Highs and loose some of the sparkle if not all. Just put a small amount(pea size) of Blu-tack at the back of the driver and it will tame both Highs and Bass.

thanks- I have already put some blue tack on the back of the driver- the tape seems to be the most effective in reducing the bass. I'm going to give them a week or two so I can get used to the signature of these. They do not sound horrible overall. It's just surprising that I prefer my modded sr80i's over this build so far. Still starting a new pair of cups today. Haven't decided which type of wood or what dimensions yet.

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #345 of 518
thanks- I have already put some blue tack on the back of the driver- the tape seems to be the most effective in reducing the bass. I'm going to give them a week or two so I can get used to the signature of these. They do not sound horrible overall. It's just surprising that I prefer my modded sr80i's over this build so far. Still starting a new pair of cups today. Haven't decided which type of wood or what dimensions yet.

Have you tried auditioning the RS1 and GS1000? Take the tape off, just leave the Blu-tack and let it do its magic on the back of the driver. Pushing the driver further inside the cup will also reduce Bass and will gain some HF, resist from pushing to much i recommend 2mm max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back