SennGrado Thread
Aug 5, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #301 of 518
  @fleasbaby Can't wait to hear those headphones lol~ =)

I'll bet
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #304 of 518
  ...did a collab with @cCasper TFG and this was what came of it:

They are Marblewood (hideously tough, fibrous stuff...my chisels took a bit of a beating) cut similarly to a GS1000 style Grado cup with a wider pad lip to accommodate Beyer pads. Cables were by cCasper TFG, and are removable (mini-XLR). One is terminated for balanced operation, the other to a 1/4 inch plug.

oh gawd, not sure if I needed to see that... now I'm wishing I did that with the Pair I had built <.< Gorgeous idea an great execution, cCasper does good work, he Cabled my Senn Grado actually, we didn't go with the Custom Connector Right in the wood though, went with the Pig Tail Method, either way that's Gorgeous... ugh I'm starting a nice new job soon an I might have to get you guys to build me a pair too >.> Love the Beyer Pads [use em on my HE 4 actually] 

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #305 of 518
As the proud owner of the fleasbaby X ccasper senngradobeyers, i highly highly recommend their work =) These babys sound as gorgeous as they look~ I actually sold my HD800s and listen to pretty much only these and my LCD2's nowadays (the senngradobeyers are on my head right now lol). Super super comfy, light, great soundstage and amaazing and textured bass, without recessing the vocals or the treble at all. Oh and fleasbaby hooked me up with black foam discs (taken from Superlux HD660) to protect the drivers. I also added the Lohb straps as well as some brass wheel collars to stablize the headband.

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #307 of 518
@Noodlz, does adding the foam disk to cover the drivers change the sound?  I recall from the SR-60 thread that many used to remove the cloth covering from the drivers to improve the sound so I would think that adding back a covering would change the sound.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #308 of 518
@DavidA actually the specific foam disk (Superlux HD660) fleasbaby had put in actually had very minimal effect. it had a very slight mellowing effect for the extreme ranges of the treble, without removing the sparkle. Without the disk the driver is just very very slightly harsh, and with it that slight harshness is gone. I had tried another foam disk that came with the replacement pads for the DT880s and that dull / muddled things significantly.

I should also add that i had gotten the oem black velour dt880 ear pads (not the disks, the pads) and they sounded denser and more muffled with a midbass hump, while the stock dt880 silver velour pads that i have on right retains the sparkle and mids and allows (perhaps even refines?) the bass to do its thing.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #309 of 518
  @DavidA actually the specific foam disk (Superlux HD660) fleasbaby had put in actually had very minimal effect. it had a very slight mellowing effect for the extreme ranges of the treble, without removing the sparkle. Without the disk the driver is just very very slightly harsh, and with it that slight harshness is gone. I had tried another foam disk that came with the replacement pads for the DT880s and that dull / muddled things significantly.

I should also add that i had gotten the oem black velour dt880 ear pads (not the disks, the pads) and they sounded denser and more muffled with a midbass hump, while the stock dt880 silver velour pads that i have on right retains the sparkle and mids and allows (perhaps even refines?) the bass to do its thing.

Would you say that the disk is like a very sheer silk organza?  I've been using it for my HE-400/400i/560 when I did the grill mods to protect them from dog hair going in.

Sep 15, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #310 of 518
ah, well its like a very thin piece, the one from the superlux. its not quite totally sheer but you can kinda see through it. the beyer dt880 disks tho are much thicker

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #311 of 518
  ah, well its like a very thin piece, the one from the superlux. its not quite totally sheer but you can kinda see through it. the beyer dt880 disks tho are much thicker

Take a look at this picture of my HE-400 with grill mod:

You can see the planar driver behind the grill and silk organza, would say the foam is thin like this?

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #312 of 518
nice~ actually the disk i have is probably not not as thin as the silk organza you posted.

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #314 of 518
Sure thing! let us know how it goes~ =)

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #315 of 518
I like the L-cush pads from China, they come with smaller pads to cover the drivers.

I don’t like the PX 100 drivers to be showing as it takes away from the beauty of the headphone.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back