SennGrado Thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #361 of 518
  I just wanna say I just finish my first pair of SennGrado's, and as soon as I put it on my head and turned on the music my reaction was "oh my!". I have a lot more listing to do, but wow, I like these. Bass is pretty strong, almost overwhelming for some songs, and lower mids are also strong, but such a lush, clear sound. Very V shaped; very fun! These might replace my RS2e at work.

I used cherry cups from 7keys, earzonk L cushion pads, Mogami W2799 stripped to the core wires simply fed through paracord, a Rean NYS231G 3.5mm connector, and finally a 
Vivitar Dj Mixers Foldable Black Headband. I would much prefer a Grado headband, but not sure it's worth $40-60 to get one, but might be :)

I scratched the cup a little, so I gotta figure out how to fix that, but other than that, these are pretty darned good cans. Even better with the crossfeed on from my Corda stack! Attenuates the bass a little, and evens out the sound.

Nice!
I've scratched so many cups using the wire headband clips. 

I have a SennGrado with a lot of bass that I put G-Cush on to bring it down a bit. Also Grado L-cush pads sound much better.

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #362 of 518
Nice!
I've scratched so many cups using the wire earpad clips. 

I have a SennGrado with a lot of bass that I put G-Cush on to bring it down a bit. Also Grado L-cush pads sound much better.

Turns out my wife finally likes a pair of my headphones! She likes the sound of the senngrado, and particularly likes the ultra light weight.

I guess I will be making another set soon since she has appropriated mine!

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #363 of 518

Nice!
I've scratched so many cups using the wire earpad clips. 

Turns out my wife finally likes a pair of my headphones! She likes the sound of the senngrado, and particularly likes the ultra light weight.

I guess I will be making another set soon since she has appropriated mine!

She has very good taste.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #364 of 518
Ummm, I did some comparing between the Earzonk and Grado L cush pads. The EZ pads seem a bit darker, and with a slightly less tight bass.

SennGrade w/Earzonk vs RS2e w/Grado impressions

Grados seem more forward. SennGrados seem to have a bit more thump in the mid and lower bass. One could even say more slam. 

I then took off the original pads from the Senn speakers, so the headphones are just the headband, wood cups, senn speakers, and earzonk pads. I think they sound better without the Senn pads, but still not as detailed and forward as the Grado. My wife will like them better with the speaker pads to attenuate some of the highs. 

Bottom line to me, if you like the grado sound signature, the grados are brighter, more forward, and more detailed and will likely be preferred over the cheapest SennGrado. If you like a warmer, funner sound, but slightly less top end brightness, the SennGrados are awesome. 

Possibilities with ear pads, speaker cover pads, dampening, and cups open up a myriad of options. I think this hobby just got a lot more expensive (but funner) for me! 

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #365 of 518
  Ummm, I did some comparing between the Earzonk and Grado L cush pads. The EZ pads seem a bit darker, and with a slightly less tight bass.

SennGrade w/Earzonk vs RS2e w/Grado impressions

Grados seem more forward. SennGrados seem to have a bit more thump in the mid and lower bass. One could even say more slam. 

I then took off the original pads from the Senn speakers, so the headphones are just the headband, wood cups, senn speakers, and earzonk pads. I think they sound better without the Senn pads, but still not as detailed and forward as the Grado. My wife will like them better with the speaker pads to attenuate some of the highs. 

Bottom line to me, if you like the grado sound signature, the grados are brighter, more forward, and more detailed and will likely be preferred over the cheapest SennGrado. If you like a warmer, funner sound, but slightly less top end brightness, the SennGrados are awesome. 

Possibilities with ear pads, speaker cover pads, dampening, and cups open up a myriad of options. I think this hobby just got a lot more expensive (but funner) for me! 

You might want to try the Magnum V6, it has more detail but there's just something about the tone of the SennGrado.

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #366 of 518
I think I managed to stretch my grado pads when I put them on my senngrado. Any advice on how to "shrink" the diameter of the pads down a little so I can use them on my RS2e again without the pads falling off?

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #369 of 518
Hi All,

Thread-crapping session for the day...I got several treats in the mail over the last few days...one of them was something a little O/T for this thread, but I thought you might be interested in hearing about it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/793136/grado-modders-go-ypsilon-elleven-acoustica-drivers-and-builds-thread

I am just waiting patiently on some cables now to make a couple more builds. In the meantime I'll be happily listening to my SR80 pinks in African Blackwood. My cup runneth over.

Happy New Year.

DIY or Die.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #370 of 518
Arty McGhee sent me some SennGrado adapters that he 3D printed........look nice.

They fit my cups quite nicely. 

I'm going to have to get out the sandpaper to get them to fit the PX100ii drivers. 

Thanks Arty.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #371 of 518
  Arty McGhee sent me some SennGrado adapters that he 3D printed........look nice.

They fit my cups quite nicely. 

I'm going to have to get out the sandpaper to get them to fit the PX100ii drivers. 

Thanks Arty.

Nice! And in that neat faux wood material too :)

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #374 of 518
Is there any sonic advantage to mounting the drivers in the cups with foam, like weather striping, over mounting px100ii drivers inside their plastic rims?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back