SennGrado Thread
Feb 25, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #376 of 518
Is there any sonic advantage to mounting the drivers in the cups with foam, like weather striping, over mounting px100ii drivers inside their plastic rims?

I've never experienced any. Usually the soft mounting just makes setting/removal easier in case you need to repair or upgrade.
  Hello I recently a sr225e, which means senngrado?
thank you​

?

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #377 of 518
  Hello I recently a sr225e, which means senngrado?
thank you​

Here's a famous quote about the SennGrado, this might help.

Ah yes, the SennGrado. Like a unicorn or a woman with brains and beauty, this one is almost impossible to believe.  But I'm here to tell you: believe it.

Check it out.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-grado-hybrid-a-k-a-senngrado/reviews/11027

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #378 of 518
  Here's a famous quote about the SennGrado, this might help.

Ah yes, the SennGrado. Like a unicorn or a woman with brains and beauty, this one is almost impossible to believe.  But I'm here to tell you: believe it.

Check it out.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-grado-hybrid-a-k-a-senngrado/reviews/11027

but they are very nice! I enjoyed them very much with my HM901/601, also congrats to the fellow who's having one built for him ^^ happy I was able to get him here! 

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #379 of 518
Anxiously waiting for my pair to arrive.

Shout out to JoeDoe for building my pair!

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #380 of 518
My SennGrados arrived today,build by JoeDoe.Ive had about an hour with them,some initial impressions...

Harder to drive than I anticipated! My Alessandro Ms2e and ATH AD2000s are both less power hungry.....I think an Asgaard2 is on my horizon

Faster than I expected....very pleased with them for metal

Soundstage is surprisingly wide and some depth too.

For kicks I tried them with some old school deep trance...WOW! I wasnt expecting them to sound as good as they do with this genre.

Theyre slightly less forward than my Grado 80es

Non sibilant

Very pleased!

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #381 of 518
  Nice!
I've scratched so many cups using the wire headband clips. 

I have a SennGrado with a lot of bass that I put G-Cush on to bring it down a bit. Also Grado L-cush pads sound much better.

For those bloody wire pieces, placing a small amount of shrink tube over the wire ends and heating it with a lighter will add some protection so the bare metal shouldn't scratch the fine wooden cups. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #382 of 518

Nice!
I've scratched so many cups using the wire headband clips. 

I have a SennGrado with a lot of bass that I put G-Cush on to bring it down a bit. Also Grado L-cush pads sound much better.

For those bloody wire pieces, placing a small amount of shrink tube over the wire ends and heating it with a lighter will add some protection so the bare metal shouldn't scratch the fine wooden cups. 

Hello wje! You're back, I hope you saved a lot of money while you were away. 
smile.gif

Good point on the shrink wrap. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #383 of 518
The price of the PX 100ii has gone up in Canada to $90 or $100. I was picking these up for $40 just a couple of years ago.
The cheapest I managed to find was from one seller on Amazon .ca for $70 with free shipping and no tax.  

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #384 of 518
Ouch...  it might be time to start looking for alternate drivers if the price keeps rising.  Then again, I was too much a coward to make my own SennGrado, so bought it off our forum.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #386 of 518
  The price of the PX 100ii has gone up in Canada to $90 or $100. I was picking these up for $40 just a couple of years ago.
The cheapest I managed to find was from one seller on Amazon .ca for $70 with free shipping and no tax.  

wow
i get decent ones off the ebay for $20.00
or amazon for 40-50 bucks

does canada have a vat tax or something like that

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #388 of 518
Because of huge drop in the price of oil our dollar lost twenty five percent of it's value against the US dollar..

I don't like to buy used as I bought used ones before that had problems, no bass. 

The seller is from Japan so who knows how long it's going to take to get to Montreal.

I'll be using the adapters that Arty sent me in this build.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #389 of 518
Are Grado headbands still one of the main routes to go, or are there some equivalent options, or maybe even better in terms of comfort?  I haven't really looked into it for awhile, and if I could find a good looking route that isn't that expensive I might give it a try.  Plus it'd free up my headband so I could listen to my SR80i again...  or I could try to find a way to turn those into some oversized ear clips.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #390 of 518
  Are Grado headbands still one of the main routes to go, or are there some equivalent options, or maybe even better in terms of comfort?  I haven't really looked into it for awhile, and if I could find a good looking route that isn't that expensive I might give it a try.  Plus it'd free up my headband so I could listen to my SR80i again...  or I could try to find a way to turn those into some oversized ear clips.

I've liked the Sony 7506 headband.  It runs $19.99 + $10 shipping in the U.S. from Trew Audio.  The gimbal pegs are slightly larger than the standard Grado pins, so using a drill to enlarge the hole in the cup is needed.  However, for me, I find the comfort quite good with this headband.  I've used others in the past - Auvio, etc., but felt that they offered some limitations with adjustment.  The Sony headband is padded and has some good adjustment options for comfort.  The headband has silver letters spelling out "Studio Monitor" on it, but I've used a small amount of Acetone in the past with a cloth to wipe those painted letters off.

I just used one in my last build (Magnum v.6 drivers) and have used them about 5 other times in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back