SennGrado Thread
Dec 23, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #437 of 518
Here is an aluminum build: 

inspired by these: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/1485#post_7262162

The cups were built for the old ypsilons, but the senn drivers sound better in aluminum, delivering more bass/sub bass. Very detailed across the board. As you can see, they are in a temporary stage(please excuse the electrical tape), but I had the camera out...

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #438 of 518
  Here is an aluminum build: 

inspired by these: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/1485#post_7262162

The cups were built for the old ypsilons, but the senn drivers sound better in aluminum, delivering more bass/sub bass. Very detailed across the board. As you can see, they are in a temporary stage(please excuse the electrical tape), but I had the camera out...

Very Nice.

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #440 of 518
I think the credit is parceled out like this.

Cup maker                        25%
Cable maker                     15%
Drivers                              40%
Headband/earpads           15%
Headphone builder            5%

Cup maker is just implementing a design. I agree that it is the skilled labor portion of the build, but a cup shape and material selection has more influence on the sound than who did the actual fabrication.

Driver design is even more mportant. They define the possible wave shape, frequency and amplitude.

Cables are just wire, unless you buy into the audiophile B.S. Cables are about connectivity and convenience. It has been shown that lamp cord or coat hanger (for speakers) are indistinguishable from ultra pure unobtanium at the run lengths used in speakers and headphones.

Earpads should be bumped up your list. Driver to ear distance and sound absorption have a direct effect on sound. It is similiar to speaker placement and acoustic room treatment for speakers.

I don't mean to downplay the skill of cupmakers. You guys are doing amazing things, but you are implementing design, even if you did the design. I know I can't do the artistic things that you guys do. In this context, it is certainly the most time and skill intensive part of custom headphones, even if its impact on sound isn't the largest.

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #441 of 518

I think the credit is parceled out like this.

Cup maker is just implementing a design. I agree that it is the skilled labor portion of the build, but a cup shape and material selection has more influence on the sound than who did the actual fabrication.

Driver design is even more mportant. They define the possible wave shape, frequency and amplitude.

Cables are just wire, unless you buy into the audiophile B.S. Cables are about connectivity and convenience. It has been shown that lamp cord or coat hanger (for speakers) are indistinguishable from ultra pure unobtanium at the run lengths used in speakers and headphones.

Earpads should be bumped up your list. Driver to ear distance and sound absorption have a direct effect on sound. It is similiar to speaker placement and acoustic room treatment for speakers.

I don't mean to downplay the skill of cupmakers. You guys are doing amazing things, but you are implementing design, even if you did the design. I know I can't do the artistic things that you guys do. In this context, it is certainly the most time and skill intensive part of custom headphones, even if its impact on sound isn't the largest.

I was joking with fleasbaby when I wrote that, he said the builder should get most of the credit. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #442 of 518
  I was joking with fleasbaby when I wrote that, he said the builder should get most of the credit. 

LOL...I forgot all about that...here's my edited version :D

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #446 of 518
mine so far...
gonna work on sealing drivers at opening and a new headband

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #448 of 518
Just curious, I posted with interest about making my own pair of senngrados quite a while ago. I'm finally making the move, purchased everything except the woodies. Could anyone point me in the direction? The only place I could find with stock is Yew Woodworks on Etsy. I'd like to look around at other options before I commit to cups. I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area if that matters. Thanks all!

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #449 of 518
Very nice.
Is that walnut?
How's the SQ?

Zebra wood, got these from another headfi peep, recabled them, sound is bright mids and highs, good bass thump and reverb with the wood cups. Gonna play with different pads next

Users who are viewing this thread

Back