SennGrado Thread
May 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #241 of 518
How's this build coming? I'd like to see some pics.

No progress at all for the past few weeks. Been preparing for Finals which are currently in progress.

Hopefully, I'll find some time before summer session begins. The main hold-up is the slip-on cups. I haven't been able to narrow down something that will satisfy what I'm after.

May 14, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #242 of 518
@7keys ah, so i'm thinking of using the leatherette earzonk cushions  (http://www.amazon.com/EarZonk-Long-Life-Leatherette-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B00OM21W1I/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431646823&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=earzonk+leather), would those work well for the closed senngrados? And as far as building it i'm assuming its pretty much the same steps as a stratoKOSSter, except with the px100ii drivers instead right? 

May 14, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #243 of 518
  @7keys ah, so i'm thinking of using the leatherette earzonk cushions  (http://www.amazon.com/EarZonk-Long-Life-Leatherette-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B00OM21W1I/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431646823&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=earzonk+leather), would those work well for the closed senngrados? And as far as building it i'm assuming its pretty much the same steps as a stratoKOSSter, except with the px100ii drivers instead right? 

Yes it's the same steps as building a StratoKOSSter.

There is a possibility those pads might work but there is also a chance that the perforations might defeat the purpose of using leather pads.

These might be better. if you could make them fit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888545-REG/Auray_eps_mdr7506_Genuine_Sheepskin_Leather_Earpads.html

May 15, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #244 of 518
@7keys I guess i could actually buy the sony mdr7506 headband&cups + those and put the drivers in? 

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-7506-Replacement-Headband-and-Cups.html

But it'd be pretty ugly i think lol. Definitely still want the sexyness of wooden grado cups & bands. On that note, is there anyone else besides martin custom audio that sells grado-style headband/gimbles? tempted to buy his aluminum set, but i wonder if there are other options, or even if we could just get the stock set somewhere.

May 15, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #246 of 518
Whoa whats that green material? is that a tennis ball? lol~ i had thought you'd need to put some kinda of acoustic foam?

May 15, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #247 of 518
@7keys
 I guess i could actually buy the sony mdr7506 headband&cups + those and put the drivers in? 

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-7506-Replacement-Headband-and-Cups.html

But it'd be pretty ugly i think lol. Definitely still want the sexyness of wooden grado cups & bands. On that note, is there anyone else besides martin custom audio that sells grado-style headband/gimbles? tempted to buy his aluminum set, but i wonder if there are other options, or even if we could just get the stock set somewhere.

For headbands, I have made a few builds with the Sony MDR7502 headband. Had the make my cups slightly smaller it this wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Got the idea from (blast from the past) thelostMIDrange...

May 25, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #249 of 518
Aw man. wanted to share some news / story, My friend bought my beloved rosewood senngrados from me today lol. Had a couple friends test out my LCD 2.2s & the rosewood senngrados on a Geekout 1000 (already burned in) today, and both of them immediately said that they liked the senngrados better hands down. I on the other hand love the LCD 2.2's dark warm chocolaty sound and they're about equal in my book (though the senngrados for sure has way better sound stage). Then my one friend who owns the GO1000 decided that he would whip out cash on the table and take it off my hands on the spot, couldnt resist. Haha. Well at least i know it's going to be in good hands.

Now I need to go and build another! I think i may want to try something a little different. What do you guys think about having angled & recessed (1/8in) px100ii drivers in woody grado+beyer pad cups? Also what kind of wood in terms of sonic differences and/or of looks would you guys recommend looking at?

Add'll Note: I really think that the Senngrados easily rival $1000 range headphones. I've recently heard via can jam and other shops: HD800s, Mr Speakers Ether, oppo PM1, my LCD 2.2s, and i feel like these really give all of them a run for the money. 

May 25, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #250 of 518
  Aw man. wanted to share some news / story, My friend bought my beloved rosewood senngrados from me today lol. Had a couple friends test out my LCD 2.2s & the rosewood senngrados on a Geekout 1000 (already burned in) today, and both of them immediately said that they liked the senngrados better hands down. I on the other hand love the LCD 2.2's dark warm chocolaty sound and they're about equal in my book (though the senngrados for sure has way better sound stage). Then my one friend who owns the GO1000 decided that he would whip out cash on the table and take it off my hands on the spot, couldnt resist. Haha. Well at least i know it's going to be in good hands.

Now I need to go and build another! I think i may want to try something a little different. What do you guys think about having angled & recessed (1/8in) px100ii drivers in woody grado+beyer pad cups? Also what kind of wood in terms of sonic differences and/or of looks would you guys recommend looking at?

Add'll Note: I really think that the Senngrados easily rival $1000 range headphones. I've recently heard via can jam and other shops: HD800s, Mr Speakers Ether, oppo PM1, my LCD 2.2s, and i feel like these really give all of them a run for the money. 

I thought you wanted to go with a closed cup on your nest SennGrado build?

May 25, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #251 of 518
Yeah I do too lol. Now that my friend bought my senngrado I need one to fill its place lol. I imagine the open ones sound better? Lol

May 26, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #252 of 518
hey fellers, how's the senn grado (aka 21th century joe) headphone coming. Looks like none of the cheap chinese drivers panned out and still using the senn100's. I still have a couple sets that i  didnt' tweek further since I moved to inears. I just can't get off 'em. the comfort and ability to dance turns out is very important ! Also, I'm convinced in ears solve the huge problem of reflections caused by all the different angles and obstacles caused by ear geometry. (i.e. that on or over the ear drivers have to contend with). In addition to variation in drivers (which I would hope by now people know is a real and significant factor?) I think the fact that each or our ears are different shapes accounts for some of the different listening reports and also why DIY is so key since this is the only way to fine tune a set of headphones to each person's individual ears. Just ask faul mcartney how significant ear shapes can be. but i digress!

May 26, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #253 of 518
@thelostMIDrange you're probably right about the angles, one of the reasons i'm looking into possibly a angled build for my next senngrado (closed or open). Though i'd imagine the farther away the drivers are from your ears the less impact the angles have. My previous rosewood open back senngrado was used with earzonk G-cush pads which put the drivers farther from the head, and the driver is even recessed an additional 1/8th of an inch. in my opinion the senn px100ii sounds their best when far from the head with the soundstage and fidelity all improved dramatically. I actually tested it with several other people and everyone had the same opinion of this being the best pair of headphones they've heard. Now i need to build another. lol

May 26, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #254 of 518
actually, I wonder if its not opposite, the further away, the more obstructions, which is why inears don't contend with them as they are fully in. So if this is the case, it would from worst to least in terms of angles; g cush>flats>bowls because I think bowls actually allow the drivers to sit the closest (and why they are the most uncomfortable) but yes angling the drivers might be a worthwhile endeavor but still the driver will have 80% of the obstructions left to deal with. Part of the smoothing efforts (aka senngrado) might be an attempt to smooth out some of these frequency response anomalies that are so present in on/over ears and especially grado's since the cups don't provide much tuning (unless you take extra care like some modders do), but grado obviously does not exert this effort.

and don't forget driver variation. I'm certain with the senn100's there is huge variation from one set to another and likely one driver from another...hence the DIY benefit but don't lose sight of this fact like 99% of headfi who hasn't even dis-covered the fact of driver (headphone) variation from one set to another.

May 26, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #255 of 518
  and don't forget driver variation. I'm certain with the senn100's there is huge variation from one set to another and likely one driver from another...hence the DIY benefit but don't lose sight of this fact like 99% of headfi who hasn't even dis-covered the fact of driver (headphone) variation from one set to another.

I have gotten 3 different PX-100ii drivers and they all sound slightly different, one is on the bright side, one is fairly neutral and one seems to have limited dynamic range.  All tested in the same housing, ear pads and wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back