SennGrado Thread
Apr 21, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #226 of 518
Apr 21, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #227 of 518
@Kamakahah

And were we get the cups? Some chinease cheapo headphones or need some woodcraft skills?

A number of members and companies sell the cups on eBay. You can also try Yew audio works on etsy. There is a member that had aluminium sleeves made for grado builds that you can use. They're in the classified section selling at cost for $35 a pair.

You can do 3d printed ones as well. Lots of options.

You'll need a headband and its assembly. Some people just take from old grados. There are some cheap replacements from vivitar headphones or a Sony 7506 replacement headband/assembly from trewaudio.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #228 of 518
  Thanks @Baycode for leading me to this thread. I have some px100ii's gathering dust because I'm not enthralled with their sound sig, so the SennGrado mods sound awesome. For some reason, I am not finding a link to the actual mods (cluelessness could be part of the problem lol). Could anyone help me out? Thanks!

The mods start in this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/690682/the-non-grado-driver-grado-thread/45

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #229 of 518
Just got my SennGrados done by YewWoodworks on etsy! these are by far my best headphones now. Simply Incredible sounding~ And it looks incredible too. Sounds as good if not better than the HD800s from what i remember listening to them at canjam. Incredibly open sounding, beautiful mids and high, plentiful and articulate bass still. Beautifully sparkly & musical too. Spatial orientation is amazing~~ Sound stage is huge yet natural. I think these are my end game open cans.

PX100ii drivers are recessed by 1/8 just like i had seen in a previous thread + Caribbean Rosewood Cups with 3.5 Detachable ports, custom mogami 2x 3.5 mono to 1/4 inch cable (with matching wood), G Cush pads, headband and gimble from old SR80 (killed the drivers trying tot take em out lol).

Since taking the first photo i've also applied a tape mod (looks kinda ghetto but sounds incredible. Tightens up everything, especially the bass. Need to find a better looking option of doing this. Suggestions welcome! =)

*** additional note: the only gripe i have now with these is that occasionally the sibilance gets kinda sharp. Any one have any recommendations on mods that would reign it in, ideally without losing too much of the beautiful spark? 

**** oh another note, how do you guys keep your naked drivers / grados clean and free from dust? i kinda want to get a glass case for this lol

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #230 of 518

*** additional note: the only gripe i have now with these is that occasionally the sibilance gets kinda sharp. Any one have any recommendations on mods that would reign it in, ideally without losing too much of the beautiful spark? 

Very nice!

I believe I read somewhere in this thread that someone put blue tac on the back of the driver and it cured their sibilance problem. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #231 of 518
Oh very cool~ just ordered some blutack from amazon. super excited =)

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #232 of 518
So I'm working on finishing up a second Senngrado build with aluminum sleeves and some slip-on cups. I took the px-100ii out of its housing for this build and placed it in wood rings from 7keys to fit the sleeves.
I haven't finished yet do to finals, but the build made me wonder something.

All the Senngrado builds I've seen seem to use grado-sized cups. Whenever someone removes the driver, it's placed in a ring to fit a grado driver-sized cup.

Has anyone tried making a custom cup that fits the size of the px-100ii driver, removed from its housing, without the addition of a mounting ring.

Naturally this would be a smaller ID cup. It would be a thicker cup, likely heavier to still reach the required OD for the headband assembly.

I'm just curious how such a cup would sound for the Senngrado.

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #233 of 518
So I'm working on finishing up a second Senngrado build with aluminum sleeves and some slip-on cups. I took the px-100ii out of its housing for this build and placed it in wood rings from 7keys to fit the sleeves.

All the Senngrado builds I've seen seem to use grado-sized cups. Whenever someone removes the driver, it's placed in a ring to fit a grado driver-sized cup.

Has anyone tried making a custom cup that fits the size of the px-100ii driver, removed from its housing, without the addition of a mounting ring.

Naturally this would be a smaller ID cup. It would be a thicker cup, likely heavier to still reach the required OD for the headband assembly.

I have been thinking about trying that with some spare wood if I get a chance. The cup walls wouldn't be thicker though, as the plan is to use the Sony MDR 7502 as a headband donor. I have a few other projects to wrap up first though :).

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #234 of 518

I'd like to see some pics of your build when you're finished. 

I haven't made any cups to fit the PX100, you think it would sound much different that using wood adapters? 

May 13, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #235 of 518
Just noticed something tonight. as AMAZING (and it really is) sounding as the senngrados, I realized today that they bleed sound like crazy. I put down my headphones for a bit and realized they're as loud as laptop speakers...walked two rooms over, & closed the door and i can still hear it (faintly). I actually don't listen to them all that loud either (around a 9 o'clock on my asgard amp). Anyone else experience the same? 

May 13, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #236 of 518
  Just noticed something tonight. as AMAZING (and it really is) sounding as the senngrados, I realized today that they bleed sound like crazy. I put down my headphones for a bit and realized they're as loud as laptop speakers...walked two rooms over, & closed the door and i can still hear it (faintly). I actually don't listen to them all that loud either (around a 9 o'clock on my asgard amp). Anyone else experience the same? 

Yup, all my Grados and Senngrados bleed a lot of sound out, they also let all of the surrounding sound in.

May 13, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #237 of 518

That's why you need to build yourself a closed pair. 

May 14, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #238 of 518
@7keys Ah yes~ im actually debating on what to build / get built next. I've got another pair of px100ii as well as a KSC75. Was thinking either doing a StratoKOSSter with the KSC75, or work with the px100ii to possibly do a closed back or do a sennbeyergrado. Though i'm not sure where / who i can source closed back cups for the closed px100ii. I noticed that you made a couple of those, how do they sound comparatively? Any recommendations?

May 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #239 of 518
  @7keys Ah yes~ im actually debating on what to build / get built next. I've got another pair of px100ii as well as a KSC75. Was thinking either doing a StratoKOSSter with the KSC75, or work with the px100ii to possibly do a closed back or do a sennbeyergrado. Though i'm not sure where / who i can source closed back cups for the closed px100ii. I noticed that you made a couple of those, how do they sound comparatively? Any recommendations?

I really like the sound of the PX100ii in a closed back cup but they need some leather ear-pads just like the KSC75, or they sound pretty bad.

Here is what Joedoe had to say about them in the non grado driver thread.

I had to listen back and forth between the two for a few hours because I didn’t believe how similar they were, but they really would serve quite well to give inquirers an idea of how a closed back differs inherently from an open-back headphone. The closed bass hit harder, especially in the mid-bass. Think EDM kind of bass compared to Jon Bonham’s bass drum. The mids for both  didn’t change to these ears, although the smaller soundstage of the closed SGs may change how they’re framed. The treble seemed to be more aggressive, which makes sense as it sounds closer to the ear. 

The biggest change, which has been mentioned was the change in soundstage. The open SGs have a nice wide soundstage that makes instrument location and separation easy. The closed pulls everything in much tighter. Some might say congested, but muddy would be going to far. Everything was clearly still separated, but just didn’t have the space. 

I think I should also mention that 7keys sent his closed SGs with a pair of L cush pads that he’d wrapped with a leather strap much like the tape mod. I did not have regular L cushes to listen to so I can’t comment, but I’d assume that if they were removed, we’d have a little less bass. He’s written more in the aforementioned threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back