[Senn IE8] Best graph evar!
Jan 11, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #76 of 132
I think you could like the Triple.fi, as they are a natural improvement over the Super.fi 5 Pro.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #77 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to say this because it's as lame of an excuse as saying "try a different source" for Westone 3 problems, but I have seriously heard of the IE8 doing a 180 after well over 100 hours (I'm sure you're aware of this, but just as a sidenote for those scanning the threads).

I know that. That is why I am patient and burning it down. If I was impatient I would have just sold it, when I first heard it.
I have read the whole of IE8,W3 and TF10 threads before venturing into comparing these and I know few opinions around. And I know how much biased these opinions and polls can be. I started one silly poll as well. I just knew it was silly. But wanted to ignite debate.
I would burn it down well past 100 hours before jumping into conclusions.
And give a proper listen to W3 too.
I am just describing things, I hear as it is; without being biased to any particular brand.
But these are again my own biased opinions based on my preferences. I like neutral uncoloured gear. That is my yard-stick.
I am sure many people will love IE8 for its imaging and sound-stage. Many will love its bass. Some will think it has correct weight on trebles.
Some will debate that W3 reveal sibilance in source and recordings. Some will say its is a problem with design.
There will not be any scientific way of knowing these for sure.
That is the beauty of music and art too. No scientific way of analysing these. They all would be interpreted and tasted differently. As much as people who say classical music is art and hip hop is rubbish!!! But people admire Hip-Hop will say otherwise. There is no point in debating, who is correct.
No science in it! Its diversity of human perceptions. That is the beauty of it too.
I am just trying to describe its sonic characters through my own sun-glasses. Many people have done it before too. They were correct in their view points.
We all are trying to describe our experiences and tell other's just to have some guides.
At the end of the day choosing the correct gear should be based on your own preferences. Like you choose your own music. And enjoy it!

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #78 of 132
I just switch over to my D2 + FiiO E5 combo, and the "slam" has seemed to returned.

Maybe my Corda XXS is too clean for my tastes?

Even though the IE8 might not be as "dynamic" as I wanted them to be, I'm not sure I would sacrifice the amazing soundstage.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #79 of 132
Despite the bad things people might say about the IE8, I just know I will like them. For some reason, I just have a really good feeling about them.

However, there is a huge chance that when Shure releases their next high-end earphone that I will likely get it
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #80 of 132
After some more playing around with the bass-knob: RESULT!

I knew when I got the IE8 I wouldn't stop fiddling with the bass knob till I eventually break the adjuster thing, but I think I've finally found the sweet spot to suit my rig.

Damn this took ages to work out, but the results are much better. Somewhere between minimum bass and 1st knotch up was my sweet spot.

Future IE8 owners: Prepare to fiddle till the end of days!
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #81 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Despite the bad things people might say about the IE8, I just know I will like them. For some reason, I just have a really good feeling about them.

However, there is a huge chance that when Shure releases their next high-end earphone that I will likely get it
biggrin.gif

It's sure. You are on headfi, part of our big support group project.
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #82 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After some more playing around with the bass-knob: RESULT!

I knew when I got the IE8 I wouldn't stop fiddling with the bass knob till I eventually break the adjuster thing, but I think I've finally found the sweet spot to suit my rig.

Damn this took ages to work out, but the results are much better. Somewhere between minimum bass and 1st knotch up was my sweet spot.

Future IE8 owners: Prepare to fiddle till the end of days!
biggrin.gif

Lol. I'm prepared
smily_headphones1.gif

So did that fix the lack of "rawness" that you found in the IE8 when compared to the super.fi 5 or is that still lacking?

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's sure. You are on headfi, part of our big support group project.
wink.gif

Damnit... you're right....
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #84 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, the vocals definitely came out after lots of fiddling with the bass knob and tips.

I've actually managed to cut myself with the adjustment tool because its so damn sharp....

Sweet!... Well, not sweet about you cutting yourself, sweet about the... vocals and the... knob and the...... yeah....

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #85 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that. That is why I am patient and burning it down. If I was impatient I would have just sold it, when I first heard it.
I have read the whole of IE8,W3 and TF10 threads before venturing into comparing these and I know few opinions around. And I know how much biased these opinions and polls can be. I started one silly poll as well. I just knew it was silly. But wanted to ignite debate.
I would burn it down well past 100 hours before jumping into conclusions.
And give a proper listen to W3 too.
I am just describing things, I hear as it is; without being biased to any particular brand.
But these are again my own biased opinions based on my preferences. I like neutral uncoloured gear. That is my yard-stick.
I am sure many people will love IE8 for its imaging and sound-stage. Many will love its bass. Some will think it has correct weight on trebles.
Some will debate that W3 reveal sibilance in source and recordings. Some will say its is a problem with design.
There will not be any scientific way of knowing these for sure.
That is the beauty of music and art too. No scientific way of analysing these. They all would be interpreted and tasted differently. As much as people who say classical music is art and hip hop is rubbish!!! But people admire Hip-Hop will say otherwise. There is no point in debating, who is correct.
No science in it! Its diversity of human perceptions. That is the beauty of it too.
I am just trying to describe its sonic characters through my own sun-glasses. Many people have done it before too. They were correct in their view points.
We all are trying to describe our experiences and tell other's just to have some guides.
At the end of the day choosing the correct gear should be based on your own preferences. Like you choose your own music. And enjoy it!

Beautiful post.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #86 of 132
It is pretty. It reads like a poem
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #87 of 132
One of my best friends is an airline captain who routinely flies to London, Paris, Frankfurt and Milan. Which of these cities is the best price wise to have him pickup an IE8 for me?

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #89 of 132
Now Sennheiser should have tuned it to have much less in mid bass, in its lowest bass setting out of box. Since they have included bass tuner, there is no logic in keeping the IEM so bass heavy!!!

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #90 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now Sennheiser should have tuned it to have much less in mid bass, in its lowest bass setting out of box. Since they have included bass tuner, there is no logic in keeping the IEM so bass heavy!!!

You're absolutely right. They screwed up royally imo. Well, for the Joe on the street, maybe they made the right decision.... But you could just buy a super fi 5 eb for about $100 and get nearly the same balance:
Super.fi 5 EB Specification - Products - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

~125hz bass should NEVER be emphasized, I feel anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back