[Senn IE8] Best graph evar!
Jan 18, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #122 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So after 125 hours, the IE8 magically turned into a pair of balanced HD650s? That's amazing.

Whatever, as long as it eventually sounds good.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #123 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by vedye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you can see i have lots of sony DAPs..

I found A729 (same as A82x) has the better sound with IE8, as the extension to be a bit better. My S739 (same as S63x) sounds is warmer in mid-bass so appears to be a bit more dry. but only noticeable to me when I compare them side by side.

As ur concern, I think I can relate to that. Actually I was a big fan of sony's "MegaBass" and now "ClearBass". But after over 2 months with IE8, I now listen to most of my songs (including hip-hop and some trance tracks) with ClearBass to be totally OFF.

I still listen to some tracks with ClearBass to be +1 though ---- Kaskade sounds AMAZING with the huge soundstage. I think they sounds good with CB is because he doesn't use much of bass (the instrument) in his tracks. Some The State of Trance sounds great with CB too, might relate to the same reason.

Thanks!

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #124 of 132
Here are a few graphs I found on a Japanese blog. I'm uncertain of their validity, but I found them interesting nonetheless.

2l8i15j.jpg

dbp1g8.gif

Perhaps the most interesting graph of all:

1236vwz.gif

Source (in Japanese): 淵LOG2

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #126 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They must be balanced IE8

To me the IE8 sounds tonally natural and balanced. So I would tend to define the IE8 graph as a good one for IEMs.

If I'm wrong, then how should a good (the perfect?) graph for an IEM look like?

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #127 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by zardos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me the IE8 sounds tonally natural and balanced. So I would tend to define the IE8 graph as a good one for IEMs.

If I'm wrong, then how should a good (the perfect?) graph for an IEM look like?

I have both the IE8 and the Phonak Audeo PFE, and the PFEs make the IE8 sound like there is a large mid-bass hump (which the graphs show). My last listen to my IE8 was at 50 hours of burn in, but I am liking my PFE better...but I am waiting to make a final decision.

The IE8 is more fun and has a wider soundstage compared to the PFE, but not by much.

Here is the graph for the PFE, which is why I was intrigued by them. Is it perfect? If you are looking for flat, it seems close to me.

And here is a review.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #128 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it perfect? If you are looking for flat, it seems close to me.

I'm looking for high fidelity.

Am I wrong if I say that a flat frequency response from an IEM would result in too little bass and too much highs?

Coming from outside the outer ear a flat frequency response should be perfect. But what does happen with a flat frequency when it passes the outer ear and the ear canal? Is the frequency still flat? I don't think so because the outer ear and maybe parts of the inner ear should make a flat frequency somewhat curved before it reaches the ear drum. With an IEM there is no outer ear and no ear canal entry to pass, so the perfect graph for an IEM should looke like a flat frequency graph after passing the outer ear and parts of the inner ear.

How does such a graph look like?

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #129 of 132
Quote:

I'm looking for high fidelity.

Am I wrong if I say that a flat frequency response from an IEM would result in too little bass and too much highs?

Coming from outside the outer ear a flat frequency response should be perfect. But what does happen with a flat frequency when it passes the outer ear and the ear canal? Is the frequency still flat? I don't think so because the outer ear and maybe parts of the inner ear should make a flat frequency somewhat curved before it reaches the ear drum. With an IEM there is no outer ear and no ear canal entry to pass, so the perfect graph for an IEM should looke like a flat frequency graph after passing the outer ear and parts of the inner ear.

How does such a graph look like?

I am no expert on the technical details of IEMs in the inner ear, but I am sure the manufacturer, Phonak is as they are a hearing aid company. The bass is detailed, deep, and not lacking at all. I think it is very balanced with the rest of the spectrum.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #130 of 132
Quote:

I am no expert on the technical details of IEMs in the inner ear, but I am sure the manufacturer, Phonak is as they are a hearing aid company. The bass is detailed, deep, and not lacking at all. I think it is very balanced with the rest of the spectrum.

Since you also own the IE8, what do you think about the treble response comparing these two IEMs? Phonak claims to go up to 17 kHz, Sennheiser up to 20kHz.

I have read some of the latest posts in the Phonak thread. It seems that it's a very interesting IEM considering it's low price and it's flat frequency response. I'm thinking about buying one right now, though I'm very happy with the IE8. But as time goes on I slowly get unhappy with my Shure SE530, which I probably will sell in the near future.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #131 of 132
Quote:

Since you also own the IE8, what do you think about the treble response comparing these two IEMs? Phonak claims to go up to 17 kHz, Sennheiser up to 20kHz.

I have read some of the latest posts in the Phonak thread. It seems that it's a very interesting IEM considering it's low price and it's flat frequency response. I'm thinking about buying one right now, though I'm very happy with the IE8. But as time goes on I slowly get unhappy with my Shure SE530, which I probably will sell in the near future.

I am still burning in my IE8, and it has really cleared up, but hopefully the highs will open up more. Here are some current comparisons:

The Phonak is accurate, balanced, very detailed, and has extended bass. It sounds tonaly better to me than the IE8. And the bass isn't far off the IE8.

The IE8 sounds fuller, has a slightly wider soundstage, but is darker and has a noticeable mid-bass hump compared to the Phonak. The mid-bass hump has been decreasing with the burn in. The highs are better on the Phonak right now.

Honestly, it is pretty close and I think both are great. When I switch from one to the other, I notice something that is lacking in the one I switched from.

I was planning on posting a more detailed comparison after I feel the IE8 has had enough burn in.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #132 of 132
Quote:

I am still burning in my IE8, and it has really cleared up, but hopefully the highs will open up more. Here are some current comparisons:

The Phonak is accurate, balanced, very detailed, and has extended bass. It sounds tonaly better to me than the IE8. And the bass isn't far off the IE8.

The IE8 sounds fuller, has a slightly wider soundstage, but is darker and has a noticeable mid-bass hump compared to the Phonak. The mid-bass hump has been decreasing with the burn in. The highs are better on the Phonak right now.

Honestly, it is pretty close and I think both are great. When I switch from one to the other, I notice something that is lacking in the one I switched from.

I was planning on posting a more detailed comparison after I feel the IE8 has had enough burn in.

Good luck and what's your source if I can ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back