Senn HD800 Ultimate, "Maxx" Mod
Sep 22, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #136 of 170
I had @Maxx134 mod my pair of HD800 into what I believe are his most recent HD800M, and I have been using them for a few months now. I was interested in his mods because I had heard a pair of HD800 that he modded several years ago and was impressed by how he tamed the treble spike and improved the bass quality and quantity. When I saw that he had further improved his mods, I contacted him and asked him to both mod and paint my headphones.

I should say upfront that I was not a fan of the HD800 stock sound. My pair are actually a lower serial number (in the 07000 range), which some people feel is the best iteration, but even then I couldn’t stand the sharp treble spike. With the full HD800M, I don’t have a problem with the treble. In addition, I feel like there is definitely a significant improvement in both the quality and quantity of the bass. It is by no means a bass cannon, but there is definitely more impact and slam in the bass region. I also think there is an improvement in the resolution, but I would probably need to hear the modded and unmodded back to back to compare. The headstage is still as expansive as it was (the combination of the Weiss Dac502 and the EC Aficionado create a ridiculously wide headstage, and it doesn’t feel gimmicky).

I have not heard the Susvara, Utopia, or other flagships on my chain, so I can’t comment how they compare, but I can say that @Maxx134 has significantly improved the HD800. I would definitely recommend his mods if you are looking to correct the weaknesses of the HD800!

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #137 of 170
While I made the HD800SM version, which uses an HD800S drivers, I had disected and scrutinized an HD800S driver.
So although I don't like to use these control methods, I decided since all the variants are using the center insert, I will make my own version to actually improve the Frequency response, not by muting any range, but instead the opposite, to amplify the ranges I want. This is a total opposite approach to what all other attempts have done.

So this is the latest version, the HD800M2 version. It does not use 800S drivers , but original HD800 drivers, to EXCEED the HD800S in all aspects.

Here is the Frequency response, which shows my latest 800M2 having similar(tiny bit more) low end extension and boost as the 800SM, wich uses 800S drivers.
It also , and most importantly, has the least dip of all HD800 variants.
Then, as an example of the difference in design, it also gives an extension of the trebles range, over all other variants while also being the most linear in upper range of all the 800 variants...

Here is a comparison of my latest 800M2 vs 800SM vs 800S :
New HD800M2 FR.PNG

The latest improvements (in green) are directly due to my own design center insert, in addition to my driver modification.

It is also important to note that my measurement coupler is not using "ears" in order to get more accuracy from lack of needing algorithms for the ear pinea. So the result shows the differences with a dip that looks different than other measurement rigs, which is normal. The differences between these headphones is what should be noted.
My measurement coupler also does not use any type of foam surface materials, which would corrupt the treble accuracy in other "non-ear" setups.

later I will post pics to show actual impulse response improvements.👍

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #138 of 170
my pair of HD800 into what I believe are his most recent HD800M
I only made one version of the hd800"M".
Just this week I finished the latest version, "hd800M2", which differs only with my own version of a "center insert".
It was created using an opposite ideology of NOT hampering or muting sound, but instead "enabling" the sound, creating more linear trebles extension, with also less mids dip and elevation of whole lower range. 👍

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #139 of 170
I only made one version of the hd800"M".
Just this week I finished the latest hd800M2, which differs only with my own version of a "center insert".
It was created using an opposite ideology of NOT hampering or muting sound, but instead "enabling" the sound, creating more linear trebles extension, with also less mids dip and elevation of whole lower range.
Is the insert something that can be easily added to my pair, or would it involve making some additional changes to install the center insert?

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #140 of 170
Is the insert something that can be easily added to my pair, or would it involve making some additional changes to install the center insert?
Yes, I can send you the center inserts. Installation is same as any insert. Press edge to peel up mesh halfway, stick in insert (eva side up) and replace.

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #141 of 170
I have only done cosmetic mods such as coloring and then padswap/headband.
Your mods look very interesting, is the center insert you added links to ordering more of a benefit to the 800 than the 800s and not really needed even on a S or...?

Attachments

• IMG_20220927_112059.jpg
    IMG_20220927_112059.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220927_112731.jpg
    IMG_20220927_112731.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220927_113109.jpg
    IMG_20220927_113109.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #142 of 170
Your mods look very interesting, is the center insert you added links to ordering more of a benefit to the 800 than the 800s and not really needed even on a S or...?
Sorry I not around as much so viewing this post late.
The Sennheiser insert links are old version.

My latest insert adress the whole spectrum, from bass to mids and trebles, to enhance, opposite of "damping" or muting any range. It uses a combo of specific density foam, with also synthetic fibers in order to exite the upper range. This enhance upper spectrum and helps eliminate the scoop that the hd800 iterations have.

Anyone interested just had to PM me. I have ordered a stockpile specifically made to order from China. Enough for a few hundred. No charge except shipping. I don't believe in making money on such a small item.

Also, I do not like the HD800S driver. In my testing, which exceeds normal parameters, it will reach a limit before the traditional HD800 driver. Then it uses a thin film in center, with another thin film in bottom center, as there is not an actual physical insert, but instead these two thin material films. Probably why they call it a "resonator".. A pain to remove if I wanted to into an HD800, or use a DIY insert. The inside bottom should be left alone so you can revert when using inserts.
Also,
Then the membrane is a different clarity, denoting a different polymer material was used.
Maybe why the upper spectrum of 800S & 8XX does not go as high as the hd800.
That is why I feel it can benefit from my insert.

Currently I just finish a paint job on my old broken pair.
Had to order new drivers for it, and luckily they had old 800 drivers, which are to me, the most robust and most capable version.

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #143 of 170
My headphone theology:

One open desktop flagship headphone for home.
One flagship IEM for closed headphone.
One portable for convenience.

Everything else is a waste of time and effort.
🤫🙂

System theology:
One flagship DAP for use as both a desktop source and portable.
One tube amp for home.

Everything else is a waste of time and effort.
🙃🙂

Oct 31, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #144 of 170
Ok Alexa, play "Religious war" on Spotify. JK. I agree that until you've had the chance to take headphones with you, you won't understand that a desktop/home amp should have a nomadic headphone DAC/Amp. I've sidegraded around and the RME ADI-2 lives on my desk while the WA11 and IFI BL go with me places.

But no closed back? IEMs don't work for everyone. No distinction of how everyone should have a planar, punchy dynamic, and another planar (you thought I was going to say e-stat, hah).

Dec 27, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #147 of 170
How did you color the mesh basket and if paint, did it color the sound?

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #149 of 170
is there anything substantial in addition to what's in post #2 & #3 that's came up in this thread? I've seen a lot of posts but seem to be re-iterating what's already in those 2 posts.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #150 of 170
With this much dynamat you could have added a tin foil hat on the headband
I don't understand what you are referring to. Very thin strips of dynamat are used in my mod and the method is the most refined explained way to stop resonance the way it propagates.

...or made dynamat bowls that hang about an inch outside the HD800 ear cups and put sound deadening material inside, outside, and around the bowls. :wink:
That might be funny, if the original post was funny.🙃

But no closed back? IEMs don't work for everyone. No distinction of how everyone should have a planar, punchy dynamic, and another planar (you thought I was going to say e-stat, hah).
Yes I agree. I use a closed back portable (AT WP900), and could only recommend the Denon 9200 for a desktop closed back due to cost effectiveness to performance. I don't believe any closed back should cost more than the price of the Denon9200. You end up paying for things not sound related, like wood aesthetics or fancy designs.

Also agree everyone should have an open back planar like a hifiman, IF... they don't have an HD800 variant.
No need for more than one open back TOTL unless your pockets run deep.

is there anything substantial in addition to what's in post #2 & #3 that's came up in this thread? I've seen a lot of posts but seem to be re-iterating what's already in those 2 posts.
Not much because I didn't post my latest mod. I still in process of making a PDF file with instructions, and also the sound comparison upload, which I have to update to include my latest mod.
It will eventually be done. this is the year. Everyone looking for more cost effective solutions and the HD800 moded will be the best solution.

Then it uses a thin film in center, with another thin film in bottom center, as there is not an actual physical insert, but instead these two thin material films. Probably why they call it a "resonator".. A pain to remove if I wanted to into an HD800, or use a DIY insert. The inside bottom should be left alone so you can revert when using inserts.
I would like to reiterate how the Sennheiser "resonator" visually looks like nothing more than a sticker on the mesh cover, and another sticker on the bottom of the hole. They are just two layers, similar to the layers used on the basket of the 8XX, but thinner. So there's nothing inside the hole.

so when you (carefully)peel the fron mesh off an 800S or 820, you will see this layer a on the mesh. while it can be peeled in order to get an "sd" type insert, this mesh will still have the original "resonator" permanently on.

Personally, I do not see how Sennheiser could call it a resonator, as although two layers of tape material do various things, the bottom is glued solid and does not resonate.

In contrast, I took thier idea, and implemented it more realistically, in the fact that I use fibers that excite and send the lost vibration energy back, increasing low level transients detail in the FR "air" spectrum.

The insert I made is a two part system.
First, a specifically low "durometer" density foam(for low spectrum elevation) to preserve the depth of the sound by not being any solid or dense material (as other inserts or foams).

Then that is adhered to a synthetic fiber layer of specific height to not absorb, and preserve low level detail.
Low level details are preserved without loosing depth of field, by having that layer in bottom (like the bottom layer of 800S ) of the hole.

You could say the 800S "resonator" layers were strategically done to minimize material costs, in its design aspect, by using non-uniform gaps in its material (a flat, ring shaped material with a hole, sticked to top mesh), so it is non-optimal or deficient (could do better).

In general, sound gets lost in the center area gap, which is why when using their "resonator" to cover that gap, the 800S has more mids&lows.
Also, this explains why absorptive solutions like "SD" resonator mods, will suck out even more upper range to try even it out the FR & 6k ring, but making it sound "tame", by loosing low level transients thru absorbtion.
This is why my inserts are specifically not designed to absorb (like Sennheiser).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back