Senn HD800 Ultimate, "Maxx" Mod
Jan 31, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #151 of 164
is there anything substantial in addition to what's in post #2 & #3 that's came up in this thread? I've seen a lot of posts but seem to be re-iterating what's already in those 2 posts.
Not yet. soon.

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #153 of 164
That’s okay, I have an HD820 now, so you can cross that off your want-to-mod-list. :wink:
Actually, I would mod any headphones 😅🫠

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #154 of 164
I have a No.4xx HD800. don`t know if is worth to mod it

Feb 9, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #157 of 164
I installed the HD800. The sound has improved slightly. There was still little bass. Then I bought a Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 Jm and sold the HD800. I am satisfied now.

You needed to try an center insert.
The Kennerton may be very nice, but no 50mm poly-coated dynamic driver unit
Screenshot_20230209-175237~3.png
Has ever surpassed the HD800 driver in resolve.

In fact, the biocellulose type drivers are also superior in design to poly-coated types, as they are more rigid and pistonic, like focal driver units.

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #159 of 164
In Post #44 on Page 3, you recommend "Buy THESE Gesongzhe Earpads for the hd800, to extract (by cutting) the silicone membrane (needed for bass seal)..."

But unfortunately, a click on the hyperlink reveals that these are "currently unavailable" not only via amazon, but also currently unavailable from Gesongzhe directly.

Can you identify and recommend a substitute source?

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #160 of 164
Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #161 of 164
In Post #44 on Page 3, you recommend "Buy THESE Gesongzhe Earpads for the hd800, to extract (by cutting) the silicone membrane (needed for bass seal)..."

But unfortunately, a click on the hyperlink reveals that these are "currently unavailable" not only via amazon, but also currently unavailable from Gesongzhe directly.

Can you identify and recommend a substitute source?

Thanks!
Hello I have been away but to answer this, any of the cheap replacements on Amazon or eBay will have it and be good enough to use, as the point is that you need the proper shape that those earpads have. The Silicone gasket to be cut out to use.

https://www.headphoneer.com/sennheiser-hd800-vs-hd800-maxx-mod/

My friend wanted to write a review comparing my "Maxx modded HD800" vs his stock. Any modifications that I've missed @Maxx134 ? I want to keep the original HD800 qualities, just improved. Except that i want the mids a little closer, not listening from 8th row like the do stock

Since I been away, I am not sure but I assume the version used is not made by me but by the instructions in this thread, which would give decent results in clarity because of elimination of the diffuse

The few prototypes that I made and posted results in last few pages, are different because they contain actual driver modifications will be noticeably superior to any HD800 variant out as no other variant actually increase driver speed and excursion which I was able to do, plus last addition is a true "resonator" with both specific durometer damping and fibers to excite.

I haven't had the time to upload the sonic comparison (PM me for audio files if you like), or work on the new tool I have for increase safety in making these last driver modifications, but I will be back in this aspect of this hobby in about another month or so when my life winds down, as I been doing alot of construction and expanding into another hobby, but being one person I will have to look for an apprentice when the time comes. (ETA prob August).
So for update just read last 3 or so pages.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #162 of 164
I'm convinced that this is impressive, and removing issues without introducing different issues is awesome.

Do you know how a slight rupture in the back mesh of the driver (the silvery colored connected mesh), at the edge, that was pushed back into place (technically not small, the edge disconnected for a decent portion of the mesh, but in a way that it could be lined up using the shape of the mesh, allowing it to maintain rigidity, you can only tell it was ruptured by shining a light and noticing that the edge lets in a bit more light than the center, and only while dissembled), actually effects the sound significantly? Is it worth buying a new driver?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #163 of 164
Hello I been away for a while and not here much plus the holidays keep me busy. Yes I know everything there is to know about the driver and yes I dissected many and you can put some cloth surgical tape along edge wherever you ruptured it any part of the rear, to sonically bring it back, it as the cost of a driver is expensive, but be careful as that rear was not meant to be disturbed and it's metal fibers are brittle and can destroy the driver.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #164 of 164
Greetings from Tokyo! Your mod looks so good that I just purchased an HD800 specifically to do this mod. Would you happen to be ready with the pdf instructions? 😬
How or where can I get the center insert you mentioned used in your M2 design?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back