Senn HD600 or HD650 for Classical Music?
Apr 27, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #61 of 71
AT-W5000+tubes ideal for chamber music.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #62 of 71
A little late in the thread but I have owned both the HD-600 and the HD-650's. I listen to all types of music and I love classical music. FWIW, I only own the HD-600's now. The HD-650's are nice but their overall sound signature just doesn't suit classical music at all. With the HD-600's, a cello sounds like a cello and a piano note sounds like piano note without added tone.

Whenever I remaster classical music, I always double check it on HD-600's.

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #64 of 71
@ homeros8000.
Now that you've had them for a weekend... any Baroque tracks played?
beyersmile.png

shane[/QUOTE]

I played everything... They are truly amazing but you have to choose the right tubes
smile.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #65 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right choice tbh (I do mean this from a objective view tbh as I have tried all of them mentioned). Sure, it may not have the wide (note: artificial) or soundstage depth of the AKG K701 but has much more timbre, and that's what counts in classical a lot (and other music too, timbre is severely underrated and undermentioned as a factor here). Timbre is quite important to me tbh.

I don't care that much about soundstage as I care for separation of instruments in space, where you can locate each instrument accurately. I wonder how does the DT880 600 Ohm does that?

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #66 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by homeros8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care that much about soundstage as I care for separation of instruments in space, where you can locate each instrument accurately. I wonder how does the DT880 600 Ohm does that?

homeros8000.
Been listening to my HD600 for a couple days now. I've been comparing them to the DT880/250. I realize that I do not have the 600ohm version of the DT880, so I can't comment on them (but would love to be able to!).

Anyway, I have found that the HD600 is more to my taste than the DT880 for most music. I listen to mostly classical as well. The HD600 have a sonority that the DT880's don't. The DT880's reproduce the strings beautifully. Truth and fidelity to the air above them as well. But the HD600's seem to also reproduce the hollow wood body of the instrument. The resonating chamber that gives acoustic music the richness.

As for soundstage. The DT880 trumps the HD600 by a wide margin. But as I said in another post: it's not that critical to me either... except that it does tent to separate the instruments slightly and this gives them a bit more clarity.

The loss is a tiny bit of detail and top of the upper end. I find the DT880's too brittle and thin for most music. But again, clear, clean, neutral and for the most part natural. A violin sounds like one... but not the entire instrument.
regular_smile .gif

I'm actually not sure what to do in terms of these two. The HD600 just may be the keeper here.

Oddly enough, this evening I also was plowing through tunes with the new Shure SRH840. Kind of knocked my socks off in how similar they are to the HD600. Really. Excellent cans for the money. If I keep my M50's it'll only be for hard rocking moods.
atsmile.gif

shane

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #67 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
homeros8000.
Been listening to my HD600 for a couple days now. I've been comparing them to the DT880/250. I realize that I do not have the 600ohm version of the DT880, so I can't comment on them (but would love to be able to!).

Anyway, I have found that the HD600 is more to my taste than the DT880 for most music. I listen to mostly classical as well. The HD600 have a sonority that the DT880's don't. The DT880's reproduce the strings beautifully. Truth and fidelity to the air above them as well. But the HD600's seem to also reproduce the hollow wood body of the instrument. The resonating chamber that gives acoustic music the richness.

As for soundstage. The DT880 trumps the HD600 by a wide margin. But as I said in another post: it's not that critical to me either... except that it does tent to separate the instruments slightly and this gives them a bit more clarity.

The loss is a tiny bit of detail and top of the upper end. I find the DT880's too brittle and thin for most music. But again, clear, clean, neutral and for the most part natural. A violin sounds like one... but not the entire instrument.
regular_smile .gif

I'm actually not sure what to do in terms of these two. The HD600 just may be the keeper here.

Oddly enough, this evening I also was plowing through tunes with the new Shure SRH840. Kind of knocked my socks off in how similar they are to the HD600. Really. Excellent cans for the money. If I keep my M50's it'll only be for hard rocking moods.
atsmile.gif

shane

Thanks Shane! I'm planning to buy the Beyer DT880/600 next August. I'll report to you by then
smile_phones.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #68 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by homeros8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Shane! I'm planning to buy the Beyer DT880/600 next August. I'll report to you by then
smile_phones.gif

This should be interesting. By then you'll be very used to the HD600 'sound'.

I may have already purchased the DT880/600 by then, but who knows. I just may stick with what I have for now. I think my wife's getting concerned.
beyersmile.png

shane

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #69 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD-650's are nice but their overall sound signature just doesn't suit classical music at all.

lol. You're a funny man, LFF.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #70 of 71
What a wonderful forum this is! Hello all.

After many years I started getting involved with classical music again. hura! I don't have any setup really just my macbook pro, a 1st gen. shuffle, 3rd gen ipad and lately my htc wildfire.
I do appreciate good sound though and since I am also into filmmaking I recently purchased a pair of sennheiser hd 25 ii which I use for recording but also for listening to mainly classical (more specifically Baroque) music.

I mostly have flac and alac on my hard drive and use Audirvana Plus. I like the sound on my hd 25 and they are great on commuting too but I have been contemplating wether an open can would sound better. I also miss a big soundstage. The hd 25 don't offer that.

So, I am looking into getting a Meridian explorer or an HRT microstreamer which can also connect to my ipad if needed and perhaps to an ipod classic which I might purchase in the future. But mainly it will be for home use as my macbook is my main source of music at home.

With the above under consideration do you think that 650 would be hard to drive? I am reading so many contradictory posts. Would they work without an amp ?

p.s. I also listen alot to recorder music (solo, sonatas, everything) would 600 be too clinical for this kind of music?

p.s.2 I am thinking perhaps it's a good idea to go to a local shop and test both of them. Everyone says that the 650 are "a touch" darker with more bass but I really cannot figure out how much that "touch" is. Do you have any suggestions on which reference compositions would be good for testing the two of them?

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #71 of 71
trenino, both the HD650 and HD600 really need a good amp to sound right for classical (or any music). There are a lot of headphones out there these days that are halfway decent without an amp, but these are not in that group. I know these two headphones quite well and listen to a lot of classical myself.
The HD600 is not a clinical sounding headphone and works great for small scale chamber music, a tad better than the HD650, because of its clarity and flatter frequency balance.
The HD650 has a warmer sound, but it comes with a darkness that can be a bit melancholy. This seems to take the joy out of the music making. This can be alleviated with proper amp, source and cable matching., but it takes a lot to make it happen. I feel that the HD600 is better choice for the type of music you're listening to. IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back