Senn HD600 or HD650 for Classical Music?
Apr 8, 2010 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

homeros8000

100+ Head-Fier
I've been searching tons of threads about both (the results are controversial
frown.gif
). I have the AKG K702 recabled with ASL MG Head OTL+ HR Ultra Micro DAC and it sounds great. But I need mellower sound and smoother highs. I know the Senn HD6xx can do the trick, but which one? I'm mostly interested in chamber music.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 71
Both are good choices, but the HD600 is more forgiving with weaker amplification. I've owned both, and I ended up preferring it overall when I compared the two out of a Gilmore Lite.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 71
I listen to a pretty good variety of music. TBH, I don't really listen to much classical.
redface.gif
I'm more a rock/electronic guy myself. I found that the highs on the HD600 were more prominent than the HD650's, and the bass quantity was slightly less. The end result was a more balanced sound compared to the "darker" HD650. The HD600 is considerably more comfortable than the HD650 too, at least for me. It has a lot less clamping force. I also think it looks better.
wink.gif

I wish I could have listened to the HD650 out of the GS-1 when I had it, as I have a strong suspicion that they would have made an excellent match. The HD600 almost sounded a bit dry out of the GS-1, although I've never heard it sing with more authority.

If it helps, the first "high end" headphone I ever owned was the K701, and I sold it off quickly after I heard the HD600. Why? Because the HD600 has a mellower sound and smoother highs!
tongue.gif
At the time, I specifically evaluated the two headphones with the soundtrack to the video game Shadow of the Colossus, which is orchestral.

However, I don't dislike AKG headphones entirely. I actually like the K501 a lot more than the K701, although I never had the chance to compare the two side-by-side. It is very competitive with the HD600, even better in some areas. But it isn't as good of an all-rounder. It is also a monster to drive, even more so than the K701 I think.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 71
I don't know if "most" do, but it is certainly a popular choice. I've read that a lot of people especially like the D2000 for use with rock/electronic rather than classical. I'd really like to hear a Denon headphone some time, and I've come close to pulling the trigger before. I've generally found that I prefer open cans though, so that has kept me away.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 71
Apparently Classical is the weak point of the Denons, so keep that in mind
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #12 of 71
Either the HD-600 or HD-650 will be great for classical. I owned both and listened to plenty of classical on them. Personally, I'd go with the HD-600 since it is a little more balanced than the HD-650, which is a touch darker and smoother. The HD-650 also responds a little better to amp upgrades, if you've been considering one.

I'd avoid Denons for classical. I've found them strongly tipped towards the low end and that they overemphasize the bass which ruins the mids and highs. That might sound good to you if you like heavy bass and listen to rock and electronic music, but not for classical.

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #14 of 71
I don't know the answer to the above question.

I listen to a lot of bach and other 1900s stuff on my hd600s. The only issue is they're "too laid back" in some brass or ones with "ommphh". Strings are perfect on them.

I have not used the 650 before.

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #15 of 71
Flaming june

You're welcome and thanks for the recommendations. I feel strings are a bit sharp on my AKG K702. I need a smoother sound for strings. I think the HD600 will do a great job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back