Senn HD600 or HD650 for Classical Music?
Apr 8, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #31 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either the HD-600 or HD-650 will be great for classical. I owned both and listened to plenty of classical on them. Personally, I'd go with the HD-600 since it is a little more balanced than the HD-650, which is a touch darker and smoother. The HD-650 also responds a little better to amp upgrades, if you've been considering one.

I'd avoid Denons for classical. I've found them strongly tipped towards the low end and that they overemphasize the bass which ruins the mids and highs. That might sound good to you if you like heavy bass and listen to rock and electronic music, but not for classical.

I have the HD650 and am thinking of getting the HD600's for their apparently different high frequency response. However, there the voice of 'redundance' whispering in my ear. Do you still own both and did you find it useful having both? Anyone else who currently owns or previously owned both of these cans?

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #32 of 71
I had the HD600 and bought the HD650 because I liked their smoother and darker presentation with orchestral works. Either is a great choice.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #34 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either the HD-600 or HD-650 will be great for classical. I owned both and listened to plenty of classical on them. Personally, I'd go with the HD-600 since it is a little more balanced than the HD-650, which is a touch darker and smoother. The HD-650 also responds a little better to amp upgrades, if you've been considering one.

I agree with this observation, and my bias would be towards the HD600 as well. They are generally more versatile. I've always considered the HD650 as being more of a jazz headphone than anything else, where it really shines in terms of overall presentation, especially at the lower end of the frequency spectrum. Not to say that the HD650 is not great with classical - I used them for a number of years listening to everything from solo voice, violin, and piano to chamber music and large orchestral works. But I would give the HD600 a slight edge due to overall balance and treble clarity/performance.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #35 of 71
^But anyone here finding a home for both. The reactions seem to imply just a preference for one and not a preference for both, each with their own strengths making their presence in your inventories worthwhile.

I guess I'll have to find that out for myself .... another can?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #37 of 71
ATH-A2000X <== maximum win right there if you don't mind going the closed route... and upping your budget
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #38 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it true that the HD6000 has more punch than the HD650?

If it's the HD[size=x-small]6000[/size], then it should.
wink.gif

If it's the HD600, then it shouldn't. Not with the frequency response curves I'm seeing.

graphCompare.php

The HD600 should have slightly less bass and extension with a bit more accentuation in the high frequencies. I do expect a more balanced presentation in sound.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #39 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's the HD[size=x-small]6000[/size], then it should.
wink.gif

If it's the HD600, then it shouldn't. Not with the frequency response curves I'm seeing.

graphCompare.php

The HD600 should have slightly less bass and extension with a bit more accentuation in the high frequencies. I do expect a more balanced presentation in sound.

sorry for the mispelling..
tongue.gif
for me,the HD650 sounds very very neutral,and almost bass anemic out of my headroom amp rig so I wouldn't stand the HD600 in tjhat system, but it can go really nice with my earmax pro...maybe it will be perfect when I think of it, the HD650 are great with it but just A tiny too warm and mushy...the hd600 will be great with it.

anyway,in the headroom site they say that the HD600 has more sonic punch than the HD650 so I thought that it is something I can't see in the graph.
I agree that the graph isn't showing this.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #40 of 71
Quote:

sorry for the mispelling..
tongue.gif
for me,the HD650 sounds very very neutral,and almost bass anemic out of my headroom amp rig so I wouldn't stand the HD600 in tjhat system, but it can go really nice with my earmax pro...maybe it will be perfect when I think of it, the HD650 are great with it but just A tiny too warm and mushy...the hd600 will be great with it.

anyway,in the headroom site they say that the HD600 has more sonic punch than the HD650 so I thought that it is something I can't see in the graph.
I agree that the graph isn't showing this.

I think your D5000's have a lot to do with your perception of the HD650 being almost bass anaemic. You should try a K702 then!!
smily_headphones1.gif
I parted with the D5000's because I thought the balance was way too weighted towards the bass.

If you really like the D5000's, which you seem to, I'd stay away from the HD600's. It's not heavy in price, so if you're really curious, then go for it, but I'd put money on your not liking it more than the HD650's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #41 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think your D5000's have a lot to do with your perception of the HD650 being almost bass anaemic. You should try a K702 then!!
smily_headphones1.gif
I parted with the D5000's because I thought the balance was way too weighted towards the bass.

If you really like the D5000's, which you seem to, I'd stay away from the HD600's. It's not heavy in price, so if you're really curious, then go for it, but I'd put money on your not liking it more than the HD650's.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks. I agree that my addiction for the denons influences my judgement a little regarding to other headphones, but after spending a two months straight with the HD650 (without touching the denons) I sort of got used to them and I learned to appreciate their sound. I also understool that they are better for classical music...much better.
anyway,after those two months I kinda missed my denons and decided to put them back on, the reaction was: "W0W! (jaw dropping on the floor) that's how a headphone supposed to sound.
but the senns are realy ok...really ok.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #42 of 71
Quote:

thanks. I agree that my addiction for the denons influences my judgement a little regarding to other headphones, but after spending a two months straight with the HD650 (without touching the denons) I sort of got used to them and I learned to appreciate their sound. I also understool that they are better for classical music...much better.
anyway,after those two months I kinda missed my denons and decided to put them back on, the reaction was: "W0W! (jaw dropping on the floor) that's how a headphone supposed to sound.
but the senns are realy ok...really ok.

... And going from your RS1 to the HD650 is an experience in veiled sound.
tongue.gif

I hadn't yet discovered that I'd be happy listening to a can for months and then one day start reaching for another can. My K702's are now in hibernation.
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #43 of 71
I own the 650 and I've been very happy with them during my classical music sessions. I think the most important thing when listening to classical music, is the comfort of the headset since the recordings can get very long and you don't want to take a break during this style of music. If possible, I think you should try to wear the various types of headphones you're interested in and see which you find most comfortable. The HD650s do have a bit more pressure than anything in 5xx (which actually seem quite loose), but that's all I know. I'm pretty sure it's also the only reason they sound 'darker, since the acoustics is slightly changed by that pressure (and I found it to be much more engrossing). If you strapped an elastic band around the HD600, they'd probably sound exactly the same (if what people are saying about pressure is true), so I'd encourage you just to get whichever is cheaper if you can't test them yourself. I'm sure whether the pressure is too much or too little depends entirely on the thickness of one's head
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #45 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by homeros8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already ordered the HD600. I'll give you a feedback in a week.
600smile.gif

Well?
I'm interested in your findings (and in these cans).
smile_phones.gif

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back