Senn HD 25-1 II vs. MS-1i?
Sep 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
I've enjoyed having my Alessandro MS-1i for more than a year now, but improvements in my IEM stable have left wanting a bit more out of my full-size headphones.

Will the HD 25-1 be as laid back as the other Senn phones tend to be, compared to the active Grado/Alessandro house sound?  BTW, I listen to all kinds of music, but 60% is rock/alternative.  Thanks!

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 15
FWIR, the HD25 is supposed to be the most in-your-face Sennheiser can, anything but laid-back and excellent for rock, metal, rap and such. That's why I really want one too..
frown.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
  FWIR, the HD25 is supposed to be the most in-your-face Sennheiser can, anything but laid-back and excellent for rock, metal, rap and such. That's what I really want one too..
frown.gif

this.

The HD25-1 II is a great can for rock. The "in-your-face" part could be unpleasant fresh out of the box, but it settles in the first 100 hours of usage.

greetings
neopac

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks, guys for the comments -- I was hoping for a consistent opinion from several folks before I commit to a significant purchase.

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 15
The HD 25 I II is not laid back. Sounds great with rock.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 15
I have both and they are actually quite similar, with the HD25 having more bass and MS1i slighty more treble. So if you want something laid back, definitely don't get the HD25.
I even think the HD25 is a little bit more in your face sounding than the MS1i, though I use the bowls which increases soundstage.

Look at something like an HD555, the difference in sound sig between the MS1i is huge. Much larger soundstage, and a very laid back sound. (kinda veiled when coming from MS1i, but it's a very relaxed sound which can be enjoyable.) 
But if your budget allows it I recommend you the HD650 (you'll need an amp though), because the HD555 will be a slight downgrade from the MS1i in overall sound quality.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
I have both and they are actually quite similar (with HD25 having more bass) so if you want something laid back, definitely don't get the HD25.
I even think the HD25 is a little bit more in your face sounding than the MS1i, though I use the bowls which increases soundstage.

Look at something like an HD555, the difference in sound sig between the MS1i is huge. Much larger soundstage, and a very laid back sound. (kinda veiled when coming from MS1i, but it's a very relaxed sound which can be enjoyable.) 
But if your budgets allows it I recommend you the HD650 (you'll need an amp though), because the HD555 will be a slight downgrade from the MS1i in overall sound quality.

No, I'm not looking for laid back -- I've listened to too many of the mid-line Senns and they do nothing for me.  I want that active sound of the MS1i, but it just doesn't have the detail level that many $100 IEMs now have, and have heard the HD 25-1 delivers good detail with a more upfront sound.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 15
True, The HD25-1 really throws those details at you, so they're easier to pick up. But honestly, I can hear the same details on my MS1i. I just have to look for them a bit more. I prefer HD25-1 over MS1i in most music, mostly because HD25-1 has more bottom-end and overall a beefier sound. It's more a side-grade than an upgrade. MS1i has a brighter signature.
And I think that HD25-1 will scale better with a more powerful amp though, if you plan to get one in the future.

But I don't think the slight improvements over the MS1i are worth $199. Truth is, MS1i are killer cans for the money.
For a true upgrade you need to look at some of the big boys like the HD6x0, K70x, DT880, etc with a dedicated amp.

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 15
^ Thanks -- that's helpful to know, coming from someone with both in hand.  I'll just be satisfied with what I have until I have enuf $$ to throw toward a significant upgrade.

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
I have both and they are actually quite similar, with the HD25 having more bass and MS1i slighty more treble. So if you want something laid back, definitely don't get the HD25.

But if your budget allows it I recommend you the HD650 (you'll need an amp though), because the HD555 will be a slight downgrade from the MS1i in overall sound quality.

MS1i is an upgrade over the 555?  Man, my hopes just got lowered for when my 555s arrive.  Sounds like what I'd expect from a low level Senn.....
frown.gif
  HD25 excluded.

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 15
I can attest to the fact that the signatures of the two are pretty similar. I find the MS1i's have a much... sharper sound in that the music really kicks. I prefer them for this reason. That said, the HD25s are extremely portable, built like a tank, closed and isolate well and overall just well designed. Can't say the same for the alessandros and their swivelly cups and crimped cables.

If you're using them as portables, then go for it, but I doubt you'll find any improvements worth the cost

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 15
Open vs close comes to mind between the 2. HD25 has a smaller soundstage compared to the open cans in general given the inherent design of closed cans. I do not own the MS1, comparing to the grado 125 that i use on a regular basis, the bass extension is miles apart. HD 25 makes the grado 125 sound bright and thin in comparison. Frankly HD25 are simply gorgeous sounding and addictive. Personally i gave up the HD650 infavour of the HD25, trading off with the smaller soundstage and enclosed sound, the definition on the highs especially is to me personally a marked improvement. I now listen to HD25 mk2 over the grado 125 as well. +1 for recabling to hd650 cables. HD 25 has been around over 25 years with little changes, says alot for itself. You won't be disappointed.

Oct 1, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
No, I'm not looking for laid back -- I've listened to too many of the mid-line Senns and they do nothing for me.  I want that active sound of the MS1i, but it just doesn't have the detail level that many $100 IEMs now have, and have heard the HD 25-1 delivers good detail with a more upfront sound.

I know what you mean. I had a go on the HD555's and came away slightly dissapointed. I did like the 595's but again depending on your mood, they can come across as a bit ... reserved.

I have the old HD25-1 and the new MS1i headphones. I still belive the HD25-1's are one of the best allround headphones ever. I never go for all that NC gear, why do you need when you've got the HD's. anyway i'm digressing.

NB

I've just spent the last hour writing a sound test comparison of the two, and for some reason i opened a new tab to get some specs of both the MS1 and HD25's and the entire post dissapeared?? so give me another hour to write my impressions.

Sound test. iMac, unamped

Level 42 - Leaving me now

MS1i

The first thing you'll notice is the strong percussion piece coming from the far left-hand corner, demonstrating how wide the MS1's sound stage is. The main vocal is strong and but seem the fade as some of the backing vocals come in. I assume this is a fault of the recording rather than the headphones.

HD25-1 (1997 version)

The HD's are fuller, the bass is stronger as one might expect from a pair of closed headphones, but it's not intrusive. There's less emphasis on the percussion piece in the left hand corner, and vocals and music seem to be more  ...in balance. There doesn't seem to be an overpowering of any of the different parts in the music. Sound staging isn’t as wide, but it is slightly tighter, if not in a 'midrange' kind of way ... where as the MS1's were more ... top-endish.

So far both are impressive.

Rock .. rock ...???

Tenacious D - Wonderboy

MS1i

The MS1's sound a touch ...bright after having the HD's. However the guitars are strong, and everything's more balanced than with the Level 42 track. Jack Black is coming in nice and strong, but if I’m honest ... and before I’m banned for making such remark about the MS1's, in comparison, I’m actually finding the MS1's to be slightly more fatiguing.

HD 25-1

I guess with the HD25-1 MKII retailing for nearly twice the price as the MS1's, the elevation that you might expect is obvious. Again sound staging is not as big, but Jack's vocals are far easier to concentrate on. The HD's are fuller but with the HD's being in the 'DJ' headphones as such and with the usual elevation in sensitivity that true DJ headphones have, that's not surprising.

Back to the point of the MS1's being slightly fatiguing, in sense none of that with the HD's. Where as the I just had enough of 'Wonderboy' at the end with the MS1's on, I'm about to listen to it for a third time with the HD's on!

Lyrics Born - I Changed My Mind

MS1i

Both the vocals and backing track is coming in very well. Again separation is good in separation terms, but the point is with the MS1 is that there is a separation. In comparison each area of the music seems to fight for your attention. There's no ... 'working together'. I guess that's what I mean by fatiguing. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the individual.

Bass on this tack is good and solid regardless of the fact that the MS1's are open. I could live with the bass of the MS1's, and not feel that I was missing out on others such as Sennheiser, Ultrasone or AKG. There is a lot of percussion I this track. The speed and timing is first class, but again it seems to be fighting for your attention.

In the second verse the backing vocals never steer you away form the main vocal. How good the percussion is in this track would be for someone more qualified in listening to that kind of music.

HD25-1

Again, as part and parcel of the type of headphones the HD's are, the bass is deeper, fuller and although it's strong, it's not overbearing in a Bose OE or AKG K518 kind of way (I await a host of ignorant Bose bashing comments!). The percussion is no less impressive than the MS1's. Again I'll let someone better qualified to comment.

The strength comes with the second verse. The smaller, tighter soundstage of the HD's works to their benefit. The backing vocals actuall come in with far more focus and palceability than the MS1's.

The HD25-1's have the most unlike Sennheiser sound signiture in the range.

Hope that helps. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back